Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couldnt Do Surgery-Liver Size

I disagree about him proving a point. I can't see anyone putting another person under anesthesia, and insufflating them with CO2, and not completing the surgery just to prove a point. I would like to believe people are kinder than that, and I've worked with some real a**hole surgeons.

Depends. I read on another message board where the person's doctor took their liver size as an indication that they cheated on the pre-op diet and woke them up basically as a way to scold them for not adhering to the diet. She swore she didn't but the doctor felt like she did so he woke her back up. I'm thinking as the medical professional you would first try to find out how fatty their liver is to begin with so that you can determine a difference when you get them on the table or at least be able to estimate how much they'd need to lose to get the liver down to a size you can deal with but whatever...I can't get behind assumptive healthcare when you can see my insides with a scan before surgery and know what you need to know.

Like the OP said, the doctor knew her weight so I feel he/she should have been more proactive about estimating how much she'd need to lose beforehand.

In my personal opinion, surgeons should have a provision in the consent that they'll do an open procedure if the liver is too big to access the area laproscopically. That makes more sense than putting someone under, being disappointed by their liver size and waking them up when they can just do an open procedure.

I don't believe that the liver issue is always a matter of safety when there is the open option. If your surgeon is skilled to do it either way, why postpone it when you already have the camera in their gut? I find it highly questionable and "unkind."

I want to know what will happen if he/she goes back in and the liver is still not something they can manage? At that point, I'd find another surgeon.

Unless, the OP cheated, in which case the doctor proved his/her point.

this is way to crazy for me. maybe thats why my doc had me sign a consent form for open surgery. i have been on my 2wk liquid diet now 8 days i lost 10lbs. i cheated like 3 times now im thinking to not cheat and hang in there. but that is not right man. kaiser do a lot of blood work on us and the liver is included i wonder what test tell you if the liver is to large.

i would feel the way you feel, hang in there but damn

I followed the diet and it didn't work well enough I guess!

So now I'm shuffling around like an old woman

The doc knew my weight and I had been in there the past two weeks in a row so they knew where I was at

I followed the diet and it didn't work well enough I guess!

So now I'm shuffling around like an old woman

The doc knew my weight and I had been in there the past two weeks in a row so they knew where I was at

• Do you have access to your pre-op blood tests? On your metabolic panel was your ALT elevated over, say, 50?

• Is your surgical center a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence?

Those could be a couple of clues. It seems pretty typical for experienced programs to put those people with higher BMI and/or those who don't lose enough weight pre-surgery on a 14-day liver shrinking diet.

The shrinking diet can also be indicated for people whose known health problems may contribute to fatty liver, or if blood tests come back indicating a fattier fatty liver.

Either way, sorry for your troubles.

What was your pre op diet? There is not a lot of science required in the pre operative liver shrinking. So just what diet did you follow?

Depends. I read on another message board where the person's doctor took their liver size as an indication that they cheated on the pre-op diet and woke them up basically as a way to scold them for not adhering to the diet. She swore she didn't but the doctor felt like she did so he woke her back up. I'm thinking as the medical professional you would first try to find out how fatty their liver is to begin with so that you can determine a difference when you get them on the table or at least be able to estimate how much they'd need to lose to get the liver down to a size you can deal with but whatever...I can't get behind assumptive healthcare when you can see my insides with a scan before surgery and know what you need to know.

Like the OP said, the doctor knew her weight so I feel he/she should have been more proactive about estimating how much she'd need to lose beforehand.

In my personal opinion, surgeons should have a provision in the consent that they'll do an open procedure if the liver is too big to access the area laproscopically. That makes more sense than putting someone under, being disappointed by their liver size and waking them up when they can just do an open procedure.

I don't believe that the liver issue is always a matter of safety when there is the open option. If your surgeon is skilled to do it either way, why postpone it when you already have the camera in their gut? I find it highly questionable and "unkind."

I want to know what will happen if he/she goes back in and the liver is still not something they can manage? At that point, I'd find another surgeon.

Unless, the OP cheated, in which case the doctor proved his/her point.

You might want to talk to another surgeon. I'd ask your current surgeon, What if it happens again? Will he do the open surgery or close up again? If he says he'd close up again I would look for someone else.

What was your pre op diet? There is not a lot of science required in the pre operative liver shrinking. So just what diet did you follow?

I was on 10 days of 2 Protein shakes, water/crystal light and a lean cuisine type meal for dinner. Most of the time I just ate 2-3 oz of chicken breast baked with lettuce and a sprinkle of Italian dressing...it wasn't heavy I'm not a big salad dressing fan. Or I'd eat a few ounces of 99% fat free turkey taco meat-low sodium on top of lettuce. It was probably a little less or equal to lean cuisine in calories but less sodium

[*]Do you have access to your pre-op blood tests? On your metabolic panel was your ALT elevated over' date=' say, 50?

[*']Is your surgical center a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence?

Those could be a couple of clues. It seems pretty typical for experienced programs to put those people with higher BMI and/or those who don't lose enough weight pre-surgery on a 14-day liver shrinking diet.

The shrinking diet can also be indicated for people whose known health problems may contribute to fatty liver, or if blood tests come back indicating a fattier fatty liver.

Either way, sorry for your troubles.

My AST/ALT were all normal. In the mid range of normal. 25 for ALT

Yes the center is a center of excellence...

I just feel jipped and hurt. I didn't even get post op instructions for my incisions like can I shower tomorrow? I didn't even get a pain pill subscription. Hthe doc made an extra incision to try and lift my liver better so it just adds to more pain. Everytime I stand up it feels like my insides are pulling

I took some OTC stuff but it's not doing the job

I did a 10 day low calorie pre-op diet and yet after my surgery the doctor said my liver was pretty large but he did the surgery anyway. Maybe it's a level of expertise or experience issue? Good luck in getting it done after you lose the 20!

It has to be something with his skill level. If others are saying that they had a large liver and still got the procedure, maybe he didn't feel confident enough to work with a large liver. I feel so bad for you and I hope the pain gets better.

My doctor also refuses to do or finish a surgery with a liver that is too large. He says that then he would be more likely to nick the liver and cause problems. If the liver has been shrunk, it gives him room for the procedure.

So the OP said her ALT was 29 which is in the normal range - mine is 29 -which my surgeon said was fine, as I did ask this question directly.....so what other blood work test could show that her liver was off? Also - I dont' think she said it was fatty liver - it was enlarged. So, what makes a liver enlarge?

My preop was just shakes, broths, and Water. I could not eat food at all.

So the OP said her ALT was 29 which is in the normal range - mine is 29 -which my surgeon said was fine, as I did ask this question directly.....so what other blood work test could show that her liver was off? Also - I dont' think she said it was fatty liver - it was enlarged. So, what makes a liver enlarge?

Alcohol consumption right?