Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band Removal????

Hi i'm a 16yo Girl i had lap-band surgery in december 2005, basically ever since the day of my surgery i had been in constant pain and i'm on daily pain killers for it........to cut the story short i had a second operation in may to move my port because i could hardly do anything without pain and now i have pain in the new position:clap2: "yay i'm just so happy i had that second op" it ended up the same result anyway PAIN, that's just the half of it.......i also have constant pain deep in my stomach where the band is, i can't exercise, lift, stretch, bend, lie, or sleep without pain, i'm very tired and depressed about it all i wish i could just wake up and be pain free:rolleyes: ahhhh only if....

I've had X-Rays, been poked n prodded and i'm on daily pain killers (Valium) at night to bomb me out so i can sleep!

My surgeon want's to put a camera into my stomach to check for band erosion but my Doctor says there is no need for that and he's just pullin on strings to get rid of me because since january i've been back to see him over and over to get this pain to go....anyway the end result from him is that he can't help and i should just live with it.... but isn't the the lap-band surgeon meant to help????

So anyway I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS PAIN and i'm so depressed and going down hill so fast & getting addictions to pain killers, i just want this lap-band out of me but i'm affraid the pain will still be there after from nervs:phanvan

:help: I would really like to know if anyone else has had there band out from pain and if the pain went, how their weight is going and what life's like without lap-band????:)

and if you have any idea's of what i can do apart from removal?

Hi Emo ~ first of all Welcome.

I am so sorry for the pain you are in. If you try the Search button on top you might find others that have gone or are going through something similar.

I belong to another site as well as LBT and on the other site there is a Gal name Nikki and she went throught what you are going through. She finally had to have the band removed for the Chronic Pain. Here is the link

www.wlsforum.org -Good Luck in finding an answer and becoming pain free.

Valium isn't necessarily a painkiller. It is an anti-anxiety drug.

But you shouldn't be having physical pain from the band. Has your doc done a barium swallow to look at positioning of the band? If not, I'd ask him to at least do this. Demand that you should not be in physical pain. This should be a pretty pleasant experience overall.

wow, I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. I hope you find someone to help you soon.

Emo -

I'm so sorry you're in such pain. I can't believe your surgeon is so unconcerned. Okay, I believe it, but what a jerk!

Anyway, you should definitely have the scope just in case, although if you've been having pain all along it's unlikely that erosion is causing it. However, if the pain is due to irritation from the band, it is possible that has made a weak place for erosion to start, so a scope wouldn't hurt, and would set your mind at ease on that part.

What's your fill level like? I had a sharp pinching sensation a day or two before one of my fills, but luckily my doc is in the habit of letting all the Fluid out before putting any in, and that seemed to fix that pinching feeling, as I never felt it again.

If you have some fill, you may want to try having some fill taken out, or all of it, to let the band be a little looser for a while and see if that helps.

As far as your port pain goes... Is it really pain, or just discomfort when you bend or wear certain types of pants? Perhaps you just need a different surgeon??

What happens without the band? Well, everyone is different. I can tell you that I still have a narrowing at the top of my stomach which is enough to occasionally get "stuck" breifly (and painfully!), but not enough to affect my appetite. I have regained almost all of my weight, as my hunger returned a month or two after my band was removed.

If I were you, I would definitely look for another surgeon - someone who shows a little more interest and care in how you're feeling, and can try and address your pain.

Good luck!

Thanks for writing the bit about the fill level of the band, i went to see my Doc today and suggested that he take out all of my saline and see if it helps with the pain, i'm not sure yet if it will help but i guess in a few days or so i'll notice if i have any relief. So for now my Doc says there is no reason to have the cam in my stomach at the moment.

That's not gonna help my port pain though so i'm not sure what we'll do about that....well the adjustment today woulden't have helped it get better.....i through up from the pain after:sick ....i think the main problem is that my Doc does'nt use a fluro scope he just goes by feel...omg! he kept missin the port over and over i was ready to scream at him:angry anyways i'll see how taking out my saline helps the band pain!

Emo -

I'm so sorry you're in such pain. I can't believe your surgeon is so unconcerned. Okay, I believe it, but what a jerk!

Anyway, you should definitely have the scope just in case, although if you've been having pain all along it's unlikely that erosion is causing it. However, if the pain is due to irritation from the band, it is possible that has made a weak place for erosion to start, so a scope wouldn't hurt, and would set your mind at ease on that part.

What's your fill level like? I had a sharp pinching sensation a day or two before one of my fills, but luckily my doc is in the habit of letting all the Fluid out before putting any in, and that seemed to fix that pinching feeling, as I never felt it again.

If you have some fill, you may want to try having some fill taken out, or all of it, to let the band be a little looser for a while and see if that helps.

As far as your port pain goes... Is it really pain, or just discomfort when you bend or wear certain types of pants? Perhaps you just need a different surgeon??

What happens without the band? Well, everyone is different. I can tell you that I still have a narrowing at the top of my stomach which is enough to occasionally get "stuck" breifly (and painfully!), but not enough to affect my appetite. I have regained almost all of my weight, as my hunger returned a month or two after my band was removed.

If I were you, I would definitely look for another surgeon - someone who shows a little more interest and care in how you're feeling, and can try and address your pain.

Good luck!

On 8/29 I had the band put on, 3 weeks later I had to have it removed. The first 2 weeks of recovery seemed to be going as expected until one day I started having horrible pains all along my left side. It being a Saturday, I contacted the doctor on call who stated it was probably a gas bubble and to walk and breathe it out. By evening the pain was so bad I called back and he suggested I go to the ER for a CT scan. The CT scan showed nothing and they sent me home. The next 3 days I just continued with the same pain and was finally seen by my doctor in his office, after many different tests I was admitted to the hospital and the band was removed the next day. (obviously I have left out a lot of the details, not wanting to take up too much time of anyone who may not be interested) I've been told a couple of different versions of what the problem could have been. One of which is that when the band was put in place and secured, a nick to my stomach could have occurred. The possibility of errosion was also brought up.

Does anyone have any insight on what this is all about?

Emogirl:

Have you had a CAT scan of your abdomen and pelvis? I had horrible pain also and it was finally determined that my tubing had broken loose and was floating around poking me all the time. This is an easy fix. By the way, this will not show on an x-ray.

Good luck!