Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2006 Bandsters!

Congrats dancing! Welcome to the family!!

It's still a little uncomfortable for me to lie on my left side and I'm almost two weeks out. I can do it, but it doesn't feel all that hot. The right side is fine. My port is on my left side, so I'm assuming that has something to do with it.

Hope all the other October bandsters are doing great!

Good to hear you're okay, KStar. I have questions!

Was your experience a good one? Was the hospital nice? Did you really get a private room for the day like they said? I've always had a good experience with Memorial Hermann hospitals and their staff - did you? What time did you get to leave?

PM me if you don't want to share details on here. Just curious as we share the same doc.

I hope you get some good sleep today/tonight. It's a bummer that the port goes on the left, because since I've had my triplets, I sleep almost exclusively on my left side.

Gotta get back to obsessively cleaning things up so it's perfect for when I'm "down".

Momotrips, my experience was wonderful. Dr. Naaman could not have nicer people if he asked for them. Surgery was scheduled for 10:30am i think we were just a few mins late starting. I woke up in recovery in a little bit of pain, but they fixed that right away. They moved me to the 5th floor in a private room, very nice and clean. I got up to the room about 12:30 or so. At about 3pm they came with a wheelchair to take me to radiolology to swallow the dye and take pics.(Dye is not the greatest tasting stuff around) The radiologist read them right away and i was cleared to begin to drink fluids...yippee, i was very thirsty. They took me back up to the room and showered me with Water and Gatorade. I asked for more pain meds about 4pm and got them right away. They kept saying i would get to leave in about an hour or so. I was feeling good i went to sleep. About 5:30 dinner arrived, beef broth and tea.....lol. My husband went down to the cafe and had dinner where he ran into Dr. Naaman. He told my husband that i would get to leave within the next hour. So i guess it was about 7pm when i finally left the hosp. I was there a lot longer than i expected, but it was worth it for the pain meds....lol. All in all a good experience.

Thanks, KStar! I'm so glad you had a great experience. My surgery is at 10:30 also and they said I'd be ready to go around 5:30 and I figured that was probably not a good estimate. Nice to know that everything else they said would happen did. I'm so happy for you!

I was just telling TxSunflower that the three of us will have to get together, since we seem to be the only ones from the west/SW Houston area. We can all share a cheap meal - one entree or three bowls of soup!

Keep us updated and feel free to PM me or e-mail me if you want to talk.

Thanks again for the reassuring response.

I am finally up and moving around. I was released same day as banding(12th). I had extreme problems with gas in my back and shoulder hence no sleeping. I was very glad that i lived close to the hospital. I slept almost all day yesterday. Today i have been up and down. My belly is VERY sore but alot of the gas feeling is gone. It hurts to stand, move, laugh. but i figure it hasnt been that long yet.

I am trying to stay confident. I have my clear broths, popsicles and Jello, nothing has "come back" yet. They did a barium right out of surgery, yuck, not recommended! But doc says it all went very well. He even was able to do the surgery around my tattoo without cutting into it. I will pot pictures later.

I am making it, hoping tomorrow is that magical day that makes me feel great.

Anysuggestions on food? should i be doing the Protein again? I think that Jello and popsicles are not on the "pyramid of healthy foods"

thanks

yes, momotrips, we will have to get together and stare at lunch.....lol. i live out in cypress, but i don't mind the drive

Glad to hear all is well so far for the October Newbies!:bounce:

I'm routing for all of us:cheer2:Woooo Hoooo! It's my 5th day post op and I've been able to eat soft Proteins without feeling nauseous (that clear liquid phase was torture). The gas pain in my shoulders is gone but I still have issues with wanting to burp but it's like as if it was stuck (sorry if too much info:speechles ) so I've been using gas x to manage. I go on walks every couple of hrs and that has helped both the gas and pain. Last night was the 1st time I slept in my bed and it was good mostly I've been on my couch 'cause I can stay propped up in a somewhat comfy position.

Biggirlbanded, didn't the place that did your surgery instruct you on what to do/eat after surgery? With me I had to stay on the Clear Liquids thing for a few days and then soft proteins about 4-8oz. Today I made.. :confused: 1 egg white w/2 thin slices of turkey and 1 slice of low fat swiss cheese L) a yummy chili D) Salmon. Hope that helps a bit.

Hi Big Girl Banded. Contrats on your new band! I was told to start back on Protein Drinks right away, but I left the hospital on full liquids. I'd check with your doctor - they all seem to say something different.

It took me a full week to feel 100%, but I did feel better every day. Hang in there!

THey gave me PAGES AND PAGES of Info. but not staying the night and having a nurse to talk to has left me feeling a little in the wind. I just didnt know if anyone started their shakes back up right away or let it slide for a few days. I get this burning in my chest occasionally even without food in me. Thnking this is gasses, and healing.

i am allowed to go to mushy food in one week.

Oh I'm jealous! I'm on liquids for three weeks! But I didn't have a pre-op diet so I can't complain too much.

Thanks for the encourgement. The mushy phase is two weeks long. I think that one will be good for me. It will help me really understand what everything is suppose to feel like. Right now i just cant tell what is going on.

It is good to hear you are doing so well. Esp since you were banded so close to me. Thanks :confused:

I just got all set up for surgery on the 26th of October. I am excited and yet nervous and not too much but still unsure and overwhelmed....and ......and.....and... READY!

I have a low BMI so I had to "pass the insurance test" by being considered "a walking time bomb". *ha* BCBS received my info on the 11th of Oct. and by noon on the 13th they had an answer for me online at the member services area of their web site. That was awesome. My Doctor's consultant was so happy for me. She had her "ducks in a row" when it came to everything she needed to convince them that my surgery should be covered. We had actually reserved a surgery date with my DR "just in case" so what seemed to drag on forever...suddenly HAPPENED!

So here I am...starting my Protein diet. I am wondering if anyone knows whether we NEED to drink two shakes a day or if one is enough. Is it the grams of protein we need before surgery...or what? I am on a two week advantage adkins diet drink or a slimfast low carb drink...twice a day and then 4 oz meat and 1/2 cup vegetable at evening meal. I am not a "breakfast eater" so I am thinking I just want one shake a day...but wondering if I have to have the protein part.

OK...thanks for listening...and this is fun to partake in a group. Thanks for having it!!

weight.png

I found out what my signal for the "soft stop" is today. For me it's....HICCUPS!

Not your friendly, cute hiccups either. Hard, strong hiccups. Today I tried some thicker foods. I'm supposed to be on full liquids but mashed potatoes are ok as long as I thin them out. Well I didn't thin them out enough I guess and I ate them way too fast and yep HICCUPS!

Happened 3 different times today. All from eating slightly thicker mashed potatoes a bit too quickly. I can guzzle Water now so I forget that I can't eat fast too.

Crazy!

Welcome GetnHealthy! I'm also scheduled for Oct 26...so I guess we will be band buddies. I don't have a pre-op diet so I can't advise on that question. But I look forward to getting to know you.

Bandacat - I was on the phone with my banded friend last night and she had the hiccups too. She gets them much more frequently now than she did before the band and, from what she tells me, they are much more painful. She also burps a lot more. lol. But anyway, I'd rather have the soft signal to stop - anything but the dreaded PB! Congrats on your band! Oh, and I LOVE your Zen quote. So true!