Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Months Out, 45Lbs Down

Very good post Mike. Yes, our BSR does get shot with eating so few calories. I have lost 100% excess weight at 6 months (180 lb) and do not believe I have done anything special. NOw more than ever, I have always looked for ways to up my game, never getting comfortable. There is an ever increasing goal to achieve in fitness. Everyone, do push yourself. It is not going to happen without a lot of hard work on your part. Try increasing Protein, Water, exercise time and supplements. There are many tricks to keep improving your weight loss, but you need to have an overwhelming desire to succeed and not complain. Where there is a will, there is a way as the old saying goes. Treat your journey as one where you will be the hero with your hard work. It does not come easy by any means.

^^^^ totally agree... always push and challenge yourself when it comes to your diet and exercise. If something feels to easy its not optimal to your weight loss.

This week I found myself on the arc trainer, which is my favorite piece of cardio equipment. I have been using it for about 5 weeks building up my strength/incline and distance... also playing around with HIIT cardio. A few days ago I realized and was actual surprised how easy my cardio sessions were starting to feel. I decided to change it up and exercise on the bike. I felt completely drained in half the time riding that bike because my body was not use to it. I had been about a week or two that I have not had to push myself and work hard during my cardio sessions. Its not easy but it was nice having the feeling of setting mini goals during a cardio session and trying to surpass your personal expectations.

Hey Mike - About a shot BMR: I just got done with an hour of power yoga ( vinyasa and hot). Will this type of Yoga get my BMR up? It was killer, but I actually finished with little modification. Felt good about myself. :) I always seem to really sweat and work my muscles using body weight in these hot yoga sessions. I hope it will help me burn calories better at rest like a naturally thin person along with the cross fit and running I do week over week. I really do not want to be looking over my shoulder for life for carb this and fat that. Maybe others know? I am slowly but surely getting my calories up my eating more good carbs and Protein. Fueling my body all the time with food now it seems. Lol. Maintaining while eating peleo stuff more and more ( every hour?) and increasing fitness ( cardio and strength).

Are you still trying to lose weight or are you at goal? I saw a side shot picture of you a couple days ago... you were wearing a red shirt. You look very thin but a fit type of thin, not skinny thin lol. You have your own goals on what you want to look like but with my goals of getting big and bulky muscle, now would be the time I would be playing with my diet.

I would be adding a few more carbs to my diets pre and post workouts and see how my weight responds. Your at the point now were you should know if your weight gain is muscle or fat. If you gain a pound or two over time and doing everything right diet and exercise wise, the majority of the weight could be muscle.

The more you challenge your physical daily activity the higher your BMR will clime. I am not sure how eating at a caloric deficit for a long period of time effects this though... I believe it has a negative effect on your BMR though. Again, I am not sure and its a good questions to find a definite answer for. If you do find out please let me know.

I know that when I get to your weight I am going to eat at a caloric surplus to try gain muscle mass. During this 8-12 week bulk I am going to play around with my diet and try to eat about 500cal above my BMR everyday. I also plan to eat around 150carbs daily. My end goal during this bulk is to gain mass, play with my cal/pro/carbs and see how my body react and get my diet to a place that is somewhat normal.

I would love to be eating 2500cal, 180g Protein and 150g carbs daily... eating that and exercising at that rate will raise my BMR to a normal level over time.

Are you still trying to lose weight or are you at goal? I saw a side shot picture of you a couple days ago... you were wearing a red shirt. You look very thin but a fit type of thin, not skinny thin lol. You have your own goals on what you want to look like but with my goals of getting big and bulky muscle, now would be the time I would be playing with my diet.

I would be adding a few more carbs to my diets pre and post workouts and see how my weight responds. Your at the point now were you should know if your weight gain is muscle or fat. If you gain a pound or two over time and doing everything right diet and exercise wise, the majority of the weight could be muscle.

The more you challenge your physical daily activity the higher your BMR will clime. I am not sure how eating at a caloric deficit for a long period of time effects this though... I believe it has a negative effect on your BMR though. Again, I am not sure and its a good questions to find a definite answer for. If you do find out please let me know.

I know that when I get to your weight I am going to eat at a caloric surplus to try gain muscle mass. During this 8-12 week bulk I am going to play around with my diet and try to eat about 500cal above my BMR everyday. I also plan to eat around 150carbs daily. My end goal during this bulk is to gain mass, play with my cal/pro/carbs and see how my body react and get my diet to a place that is somewhat normal.

I would love to be eating 2500cal, 180g Protein and 150g carbs daily... eating that and exercising at that rate will raise my BMR to a normal level over time.

I am trying to follow you with the BMR but am still quite confused as to how I would maximize my weightloss. I workout 4-5x a week.I haven't really increased my calories because I am so full after eatjng dense Protein. I usually have Protein shake after my session and have started trying to eat half a banana. But that is still part of my regular meal. Any insight or if you can explain it to me would be helpful...thank you!

Are you still trying to lose weight or are you at goal? I saw a side shot picture of you a couple days ago... you were wearing a red shirt. You look very thin but a fit type of thin' date=' not skinny thin lol. You have your own goals on what you want to look like but with my goals of getting big and bulky muscle, now would be the time I would be playing with my diet.

I would love to be eating 2500cal, 180g Protein and 150g carbs daily... eating that and exercising at that rate will raise my BMR to a normal level over time.[/quote']

Yes, weight loss is done. I am pretty happy with body, am not looking to be a skinny twiggy person. I want to be a fit person with energy and strength. I feel that the weight I am maintaining is healthy and a good size, my upper body is even filling out. My wife likes what I have added to my biceps and triceps over the last few weeks from cross fitting ( wall balls, dead lifts, kettle swings, rowing, push-ups, etc). I am starting to feel powerful. Thanks again for your help.

Yes, weight loss is done. I am pretty happy with body, am not looking to be a skinny twiggy person. I want to be a fit person with energy and strength. I feel that the weight I am maintaining is healthy and a good size, my upper body is even filling out. My wife likes what I have added to my biceps and triceps over the last few weeks from cross fitting ( wall balls, dead lifts, kettle swings, rowing, push-ups, etc). I am starting to feel powerful. Thanks again for your help.

It sounds like you are on the path to reach your goals. All those exercise are considered compound movements which are a must if you want to build mass and strength as quick as possible. I never really was sure what crossfit was. I looked at some vids and its pretty intense stuff. Its a cardio session just in itself... no wonder you lost so quickly. You must have been burning come serious calories 1000+ in your workout sessions.

I'm gonna shoot you a pm when I have the time and figure out the questions I want to ask you. I mainly want to compare my weightloss to yours and see if I am on track. You loss quickly and in a healthy way, looks like you maintained tons of muscle while doing it to.