Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obese After Sleeve?

I am 302 and my surgeons goal is 180-190. I think is the perfect frame for me. I don't want to be too small' date=' my heads to big;)[/quote']

Hi!!

Our stats are the same. I am currently 301.4 and and if I loose the 120 I would be at 180. How tall are you? I am 5'5". I have a large frame., according to te wrist and elbow measurement test.

Have you had surgery already?

Cheers to us!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hi!!

Our stats are the same. I am currently 301.4 and and if I loose the 120 I would be at 180. How tall are you? I am 5'5". I have a large frame.' date=' according to te wrist and elbow measurement test.

Have you had surgery already?

Cheers to us!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

I'm 5'7 and I'm scheduled for 10/15! Are you sleeved yet ?

Hmmm, that pesky BMI stikes again!

Goal is relative! I have lost 75lbs - that is 75% of my excess based on my ulitmate goal which would take me to a BMI of just under 25. I am 9lbs away from my surgeon's goal which will leave me in the overweight range which makes me something like 93% successful. My surgeon doesn't believe or give credit to the BMI chart... at all!!

I am 2 yrs and 2mths post op now... still not att goal, and what ever I do, try etc, my body doesn't want to play ball - lots of different factors going on, but basically I have been in a stall since Oct last year.

Now, I am looking ok right now... I am fit and healthy and in a size UK 14 - started at UK22-24 so size wise I have reached my original goal! I've actually changed it to a size UK 12 which should be doable, if my body decides to shed some more belly fat!

I really feel that the scale is just one tool to determine success... when (if) I tell my friends how heavy I am, they are shocked - at 5'2 and weighing 163lb I look a lot smaller - according to others.

When it comes to goal, as others have said, it is very relative... you will know what weight/size is right for you personally... when you reach a place where you say; 'yea, this is me!' that will be your goal.

Try not to get too fixated on numbers and statistics... as it can drive you wild! I know it did me!

Good luck!

I'm 5'7 and I'm scheduled for 10/15! Are you sleeved yet ?

Your date is right around the corner!! How exciting for you!!! :) How are you feeling? Do you have a pre op diet?

No. October 5th will be my 6th month of medically supervised weight loss per insurance. Then papers will be sent for approval. :). Fingers crossed. Hopefully I can have surgery this year!!!

Thank you to everyone for your posts!! I have found them insightful!!

I think I would like to pay more mind to percent of body fat andmuscle mass rather than the numbers on the scale and the CRAZY BMI chart!!

Im so nervous and excited! Good luck to you! I will def keep in touch:)

Guest deleted_user

Don't worry about BMI charts. According to some BMI chart, when I was at 200 lbs, my BMI was 35.4 but when I got some Body Composition testing done (not using a caliper but an actual machine), I realize that I have 96 lbs of muscle and the rest (104 lbs) is FAT, which puts me at a BMI of 52. You see how flawed relying on BMI is?

Knowing this helped me set realistic goals. Instead of listening to my NUT who put my "realistic" goal at 151 lbs, I am now brutally aiming for a lean and strong 130 lbs. Always worry about YOUR body composition, forget charts!

I recommend a book called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto if you'd like to know more. As we age, we lose muscle if we don't diligently exercise. Muscle not only burns fat and will help you excel in your journey to maintenance but it simply looks much better on your body.

I recommend a book called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto if you'd like to know more. As we age, WE LOSE MUSCLE IF WE DON'T DILIGENTLY EXERCISE. Muscle not only burns fat and will help you excel in your journey to maintenance but it simply looks much better on your body.

I CAN ATTEST!!! We definitely lose muscle and get weaker. Exercise combats this but we put the body in a catabolic state to where it eats the muscle first before the fat. Thats why we need a high Protein diet to tag along with it.

At my highest weight of 329lbs, my son and I did a pushup contest because he said I bet you cant do more than me. Hahaha I said. My GF said she didnt believe that I could beat him. So I had to prove them wrong. Keep in mind @ 329lbs I did a whopping 20 straight pushups till I was completely burnt. My son only did 16 straight lol. I guess they didnt think I had it in me.

The kicker: As of Today @ 209lbs I can barely do 10 straight. And this is only 10 months after this competition. Hmmm so are we catabolic? Hell yeah. Can we stop muscle wasting? NO WE CANT. Can we slow it down? Yes but very little unless you take HRT.

So in retrospec our beginning BMI and bodyfat composition goes clean out the window because its going to change throughout this process. All you can do is be mindfull and combat muscle wasting the whole time. Every lb of muscle burns 50 extra calories per day which equals to a lb of fat every 8-9 days +/-.

Good chat

I think the average is about 70percent of your body fat not necessarily so many pounds. Keep on mind that this is an average I have heard of a lot of people who have lost 80 to 90 percent body fat from the sleeve. A lot will depend on how dedicated you are, and I am sure you are plenty dedicated because this is not a choice people make lightly.

I don't like BMI charts or height weight charts everyone is different bone structure muscle mass etc I know it's extreme but

Arnold Schwarzenegger was 250lbs at 5'10" when he won Mr. Universe by the charts he was obese for his height with less than 6% body fat I know he was a body builder but thats an example of a BMI or height weight chart.

I asked my Surgeon how much I can expect to loose and he said that around 80lbs, MIGHT BE ( he was very doubt) 100lb.

and I was so upset. I need to loose at that point 116lbs ( and still be with bmi of 25.1 which is obese) I asked the similar question and got great answers you will loose as much as you want if you doing everything right and exercise. when I went to my Dr. appointment I met the lady who had surgery 4 months ago and lost only 40lbs and I first think it is not a lot. but she told that she is not doing exercises and not drinking a lot of Water as she should and this is the reason.

I asked my Surgeon how much I can expect to loose and he said that around 80lbs' date=' MIGHT BE ( he was very doubt) 100lb.

and I was so upset. I need to loose at that point 116lbs ( and still be with bmi of 25.1 which is obese) I asked the similar question and got great answers you will loose as much as you want if you doing everything right and exercise. when I went to my Dr. appointment I met the lady who had surgery 4 months ago and lost only 40lbs and I first think it is not a lot. but she told that she is not doing exercises and not drinking a lot of Water as she should and this is the reason.[/quote']

I would have to lean towards her diet being the problem and not the exercise and Water. Sure those 2 things help but if your diet is on point you CAN NOT fail. As everyone states it a "Tool". You must work it correctly to get the best results. Just like any other tool if you use it incorrectly you could cause bodily harm

I am 5'4'' and hover around 170 so its right on the border of obese, and frankly I don't care! I look and feel great. I can maintain, I am happy and healthy. Thats all that matters I dont care what my BMI is personally.

Its nice that your surgeon is honest with you. The weight loss is not as drastic as I thought. and on these boards I have found its much more moderate that a RNY which is totally ok with me.

This is mine at 209lbs. BMI is crazy and I dont even worry about it. Its based off of Crackhead skinny people with no muscle. I would like to know how they gathered this info to create the BMI index. Imho it just doesnt seem accurate.

post-19267-13813659880425_thumb.jpg

It seems like a lot of surgeons have "realistic" goals for their patients...goals that the patient seems to agree with. My surgeon has a goal lower than what I considered my goal! I'm 5'5" and think 130-140 would be great. He's thinking 120-130, which will make me a skeleton. But I guess I'm glad he has faith in me. :) I only have a total of 60 lbs or so to lose so maybe that's part of it.