Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help!

Iam really struggling with pain below my right ribcage. When i take in a deep breath it is excruciating. The pain meds are not even giving me a little relief. The only thing that helps a bit is if i stand up and bend forward to take a deep breath. I am 6 days post vsg and so this pain started on day 2 or 3 and really has had no improvement. Slast night my husband massaged my upper back and it seemed as though the pain had subsided but this morning it is back full force. No fevers dor elevated heartrate or nausea and vomiting. Ekg and bloodwork and chest xray all normal. I am just freaking out that this pain may never go away and nothing is helping it. Lap sites and stomach feel great, bowels are normal.....please please let me know if you experience any of this type of pain and what you did to help relieve it! Thank you

I would strongly recommend you call your surgeon, or make a trip to the ER. There are too many possible serious reasons for your pain, particularly just 6 days post-op, to risk it. I hope all is well!

Agreed, if you are in that much pain, the best thing to do is contact your doctor or go to the emergency room. Better safe than sorry. Please let us know how you are doing.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Yeah, I was told if my pain medicine did not help the pain then go to the ER. So if you take your pain medicine and an hour or two later you have no relief I believe you should go to the ER or at the least call your surgeon. I'm so sorry you are hurting and haven't found an answer to why yet. You are in my thoughts!

If you think it may be gas have you tried a heating pad, pain meds won't touch gas pain.

I called my surgeon and he said to keep taking pain meds and that this pain is probqblly caused by irritaion from surgery. Hwsaid if itgets worse to come in burfor now just wait at home. I am applying heat and laying on my left side fortunately i have no nausea orvomiting or signs of infection, i just about feel normal except for this. Imeqn myenergylevel isdown quute a bit but iam slowly leavingthe fog of the leftover anesthesia. Rhanks for yourreplys and i will update as soon as this pain is gone!!!!

Thanks for updating us. I hope you feel better quickly. Please take care!

Sent from my iPad using VST

So i ended up taking a trip to the emergency room because i could no longer handle rhe pain. The firstvthing that they did was an ultrasound of my gall bladder and it was pretty painful because they had to push really hard to see and guess what happened....well i couldnt exactley tell you but rhe pain just vanished and has shown up on rhe left side now. But much less intense. I am convinced thatvit is a gas pocket. They are making me stay overnight for observationa but i feel like a complete ass. Apparentlygas pains canbethe worstpart of the surgery. Anyway i am hoping that tomorrow will bea much better day!

You should NOT I had that same type of pain on my left rib cage I could not breath I took the pain meds I walked I showered I got a massage everything I tried it just hurt worse especially when I breathed in I ended up going to the ER and I'n walking to the ER I parked in the wrong spot I had to walk three blocks when I got into the ER I passed out!! I didnt wake my family at 3:30 am i wanted my husband 1 yr old and 16 year old to rest i drove myself in pain like an idiot now that i think back i was conscious driving but got to the ER AND PASSED OUT GOD WATCHES OVER FOOLS BECAUSE WHAT IF IT HAPPENED BEHIND THE WHEEL I THANK GOD I MADE IT AND NO ONE ELSE WAS HURT BY MY DRIVING

They did every test under the sun and everything came back negative Thank GOD I am grateful I went to the Er something else could've been wrong I realized it was gas it was under my rib cage I am glad I went

passing out at home in front of my kids is not something I'd EVER WANT THEM to experience I am 9 days post op and thankful for GOD and wisdom and the chance to do better

I hope u feel better love

Cheers

Parris

Don't ever feel silly about going for help especially when pain is involved... Pain is a definite indication that something is wrong... In this case, it was gas... (thank you Lord) but, it could have been something much worse... Several have had to deal with blood clots and that was their only indication... pain!!! So glad that you are feeling better... God Bless You.