Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does It Really Help?

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and I am beginning my sleeve process (process for insurance approval anyway). Although I dont LOVE to work out, I understand how great it is for your body. As all newbies I continue to go back and fourth with my decision. I am afraid that losing drastic amounts of weight so quickly isn't going to be very flattering. I have two close family member who have had gastric bypass and have fabulous results weight wise, but they have the drawn out, saggy, quick weight loss look. granted neither one ever work out. I know the main objective for this surgery is better health and that in its self has me leaning more and more towards the sleeve, but I will be lying if I say I dont care how I am going to look after the weight loss. I don't have tons of money for plastic surgery (although I wish I did). I am just wondering if I begin working out as soon as I get clearance will it help with shaping/toning my body? I just would still like to have some girly curves and not just have everything droop. I know there are things that are inevitable like some loose skin and droopy boobies ( I actually will try to save up to help the boobie part). I guess I was just wondering if there is anyone here that not only loves the weight loss and new size but also loves the way their body has visibly changed? I hope this isn't a stupid question and I truly don't mean any harm by it. I just want to be as honest as possible with this life changing decision.

Well, after having the surgery I turned into a runner. You can check out my blog HERE. If you go into my profile (click on my name), on the left hand side, scroll down to gallery. I have before and after pictures there.

As you can see, I have lost over 100 pounds and think I look the better for it. I know I feel better. Yes, I do have extra skin, but it is better than being morbidly obese, for sure. I am 13 months post op now and will evaluate plastic surgery when I hit the 2 year mark. By then, whatever bounce back my skin will do will be done by then.

For 99% of the population, an exercise regimen will be a good thing and will aid in your appearance.

Good luck

Wow you look FANTASTIC! definitely inspirational! I will definitely exercise during post op..I guess I am just nervous.

Totally understandable. I think you would have to be numb not to be nervous. I wasn't so nervous about the surgery as I was about the lifestyle change. But let me tell you, it has been great. I am no longer a slave to my cravings which would drive me crazy sometimes. I feel like I have control over that aspect of my life and it is so ... liberating. I think that's the word I am looking for, but there are so many other words to describe it, too.

Also, if you want to aid in your surgery recovery process, start excercising now. The better endurance you have, the better off you will be when it comes to your recovery. It can be as simple as walking or doing band exercises on your couch. Start doing something now.

You hit it right on the head! I am so afraid of the lifestyle change. As much as I hate being such a slave to my cravings, I am afraid of missing food (crazy right?). Going thru alot of the threads I can see that there is no guarantee that you will be able handle certain foods. Yes, I want to change my eating and lifestyle habits and I understand that the sleeve is a tool that will only work if you are eating properly but I want to know that if there is a time that I may want a taste of something I can at least have a bite.

As for the working out I do try and at least do it for some type of energy. I have a treadclimber and every workout dvd out there! ( I have some vintage Jane Fonda workouts on VHS..lol). I know I have to have this surgery because throughout all of my years of yo yo dieting and workout dvds, I only seem to gain...ugh!

See below in blue.

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and I am beginning my sleeve process (process for insurance approval anyway). Although I dont LOVE to work out, I understand how great it is for your body. As all newbies I continue to go back and fourth with my decision. I am afraid that losing drastic amounts of weight so quickly isn't going to be very flattering. I have two close family member who have had gastric bypass and have fabulous results weight wise, but they have the drawn out, saggy, quick weight loss look. The rate of weightloss is actually not a big factor in the end condition of your skin. It's much more about the shape of your skin (genetics, lifestyle, etc.), how much your skin was stretched, how long it was stretched out for, etc. Once somet hing is stretched, it's stretched. It doesn't really matter how slowly it deflates. A lot of people have friends where one lost quickly and had saggy skin while another lost slowly and didn't. I'd wager at least 95% of that difference is attributable to other factors, but since we don't always know what those other factors are, it SEEMS to be because of the rapid/slow weightloss (since that's something we can see). granted neither one ever work out. I know the main objective for this surgery is better health and that in its self has me leaning more and more towards the sleeve, but I will be lying if I say I dont care how I am going to look after the weight loss. I don't have tons of money for plastic surgery (although I wish I did). I am just wondering if I begin working out as soon as I get clearance will it help with shaping/toning my body? Shaping and toning, of course. Preventing stretched out skin - not so much. BUT - loose skin on top of healthy muscle, compared to loose skin on top of depleted muscle, can LOOK like tighter skin. The skin isn't actually tighter, it's just more filled out. Having well conditioned muscles is only a good thing. But it's not just shaping and toning. Muscle = calorie furnace. You burn more calories the more muscle you have. It's all around a good thing. I just would still like to have some girly curves and not just have everything droop. I know there are things that are inevitable like some loose skin and droopy boobies ( I actually will try to save up to help the boobie part). Actually - this is my 2nd WLS. The first time around I lost about 200 lbs; no droopy boobies. This time around I'm down around 90 and still no droopy boobies. So droopy boobies aren't a guarantee. My cup size has actually gone up a bit. I guess I was just wondering if there is anyone here that not only loves the weight loss and new size but also loves the way their body has visibly changed? Trick question. I love how my body has changed because it's not pouring over itself with fat. I don't love my saggy skin. But I will take it over fat rolls any day. I hope this isn't a stupid question and I truly don't mean any harm by it. I just want to be as honest as possible with this life changing decision. No harm in asking :)

Thanks Wheetsin!