Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An update on my band problems...

Hi Everyone,

I found a new doctor in Dallas and he met with me last wednesday about my slip/prolapse/ dilatation. What a difference from the way I was treated by the previous surgeon. I knew when I went in his waiting room that I was off to a good start. He had all kinds of coffee and teas available for his patients. He had Protein Shakes and Protein Bars, comfy lounge chairs etc.. Nothing like my experience with the "other" barbaric surgeon I was with a couple of weeks ago.

His nurse took all my data, weighed me and did a 15 minute BMR test on a machine and gave me a full report.

The surgeon spent 1 hour and 30 minutes with me going over my banding history, looking at the most recent flouros from doc #1 and seemed interested in ME as a person. To confirm what he thinks is going on, he personally runs my flouros (XRAYS) over to the hospital and came back 15 minutes later. So this is the quasi verdict:

My esophagus looks abnormal. It is wider than the band. My band position is not ideal leaving me with a super huge pouch which will not shrink back to size and appears to prolapse a little in one corner. Its possible I may also have a hernia. It would seem that if I want a working band, that I will need a new band. It is not clear whether my insurance will pay for a second band. They will pay for removal, but a new surgery takes a lot longer than the original surgery. They will not be able to salvage the original band unless I consider an open vs laparoscopic surgery. It is too hard to unclip the existing band laparoscopically and it is a lot easier to cut it out and then install a new one. I no longer qualify based on morbid obesity, although I have regained some weight.

I am scheduled for an upper GI at 1:00 PM today to confirm whats going on in there. I do not have a properly working esophagus although the doc thinks that it will resume to its normal size at some stage unless theres something more going on in there.

So although none of the news seems to be good, I am glad I found a compassionate doc to take care of me. He will be scoping me today and we will see what happens.

Thanks for all the hand holding!!!

Babs in TX

Babs, you've made a huge stride forward in getting a doctor who cares to do the right thing by you! That must be such a relief. Good luck with everything; I hope it turns out that you don't need additional surgery to stay healthy. :hug:

Hi Babs, my goodness, your poor thing, it sounds like you have been through a lot. Having a compassionate doctor makes all the difference, I am so glad you found one. I hope everything turns out well for you, please continue to keep us posted.

Thanks for the update Babs. I have been following what's going on, and it's so nice that you have a doc who is helping you get to the bottom of it. Thanks for posting updates, it really helps those of us coming along. I wish you the best! and will be looking to find out the results of your scope.

Babs,

I'm real glad you are headed in a forward direction, however, I'm a bit confused as to why he thinks a new band would take so much longer? Or, why he would say you could need an open surgery. He (same doc) replaced my band when he removed my old one, no problem. I was in surgery approx 1hr 15 minutes and he also repaired my hiatal hernia at the same time.

I truly hope your scope goes well and you get some answers with it.

Good luck!

Babs,

Glad you are getting some answers. Maybe not good news, but sounds like you can plan a course of action. I hope everythings works out for you and that you can get unbanded and rebanded with minimal hassles.

Its nice to hear that you found a doctor that cares and takes an interest. Hard to find these days in this business.

Keep us updated.

Leatha I think what Babs meant (correct me if I am wrong) is that if they wanted to try to save the old band she would need to be open. When they remove the old band they typically cut the off thus making it useless. So if they want to try to save the old band she would have to have the open procedure. Which would take longer to perform and have more risks too.

Removing it Laporoscopically is the usual procedure and does take less time with less risk.

Babs I am so sorry for all your band issues. I know it isn't fun. I just hope and pray they can replace your band and you get back to losing. I will keep you in my prayers.

Babs- Im so gald you found someone who is kind and compassionate!!

hopefully all goes well for your ugi and he can get it fixed so you feel better!!

Keep us updated!!

Babs, I'm hoping the best for you. I too am glad you found a compassionate doc. It really makes all the difference - your not just an animal in the chute, but a REAL PERSON with real emotions and concerns.

Keep us posted.

Terry :)