Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Size - To Complain Or Not To Complain, That Is The Ocd Question Lol

Ok guys, I've had enough medical crap going on to last me a freaking lifetime - at least for the next 10 years at minimum I want nothing else to be wrong with me. Through all of this, I've been focused on my goal and trying to remain positive. But I have something that is bothering the obsessive compulsive part of me. Dare I come to post it to get a proverbial slap of sense into me? Ok I'd RATHER some polite perspective on ways for me to reframe my state of mind.

I'm finally at 160! (Yay me!) I am 5'7" and FOR ME that equates to a size 12 (I wear a size 11 shoe, yes trannie territory I know... but gives you a point of reference that I'm no string bean.... women's size M shirts now, even sometimes rare small mixed in). I work out 6 days a week, heavy on the cardio (60 mins at a time), not as much on the weights anymore because I bulk/muscle up easily and wanted to reach goal asap. My goal is 150, maybe more (like where I am) to 'settle' for life. I doubt seriously I can get to 140 ever, but IDK on that yet.

Why am I posting this thread? Seems like many people at my height, 5'7" and weight, 160 are much smaller than I am as it relates to size. I have some "give" in some of the 12's I'm in, but mostly I am a 'solid' 12/mediums now.

The 'dream' (obsession) for me is an 8. Am I kidding myself? I'm thinking durn it, at this point, I might just have to be 'over the moon' with a 10. So what suggestions to get me there? (I've been avoiding the personal trainer in honesty, I don't want someone that'll make me puke and they scare me... yep, I said it. The workout fiend that I am, the personal trainers frighten me. They push your limits. Maybe I need that, but maybe I'm ok sitting in the fetal position sucking my thumb in my size 12s, lol). Or do I just need to be patient and give the ol' body some more time? (I'll be at the 6 month mark 9/5 and I worry that I'll hit stallsville, so yeah OCD with pressure.)

As I understand it, I've been told that sometimes it's 5 lbs between the smaller sizes. Do you find that to be accurate? Hey tell a fat lady (me) because for all of my life (seriously i've never been below a 14 so a 12 is an accomplishment!) but I could lose or gain 30 lbs and still be in an 18, barely getting into my 16s. For real. I gain everything in my trunk, and now, at 160 - it's the LAST place it's leaving, just like "they" say, it's true!

Ok be kind please for my silly (trying to be humorous) post. And yes, I did search first and didn't find anything on this one. Surely I am not the only OCD-ish woman that thinks this way? Well I'll admit my craziness for the hopes that someone else might benefit from it as well so.... let's see... (hoping y'all will 'be kind')! Thanks for your time.... xx

Laughing my face off about your tranny territory comment!! I know what you mean about he sizes. I am 6ft tall and my goal weight is 170. When I was that size a hundred years ago that made me a size 14. Then I read about people who weight MORE that that wearing a 10. Of course this go around I would be thrilled to be a 14 again.

Do you have wide hips? I have a friend who is 5'7 and 135 and the smallest she has ever worn is a 9/10 she definitely has those " childbearing hips" she is skinny just wide at the hips and it is not fat.I know what it is to be size obsessed. I am preop but in my late teens I was an 8 and I want to try and see if I can get down to a 4 post op and I am 5'2 and a 16 now idk if it is ever gonna happen but I am going to try anyways.

Hey girlie!

I completely understand. For the longest prior to surgery I was in size 16/18 (mostly 18) even though I lost about 50ibs and kept it off for years. It took me losing another 30Ibs before I could firmly say I was a size 16 in the bottoms and 14 on dresses. I know that's strange. Sometimes these things are hard to explain its just the way God made us and we're all different. On the day of surgery I was squeezing into my old size 14 pants as I had lost during pre op. Today 7 weeks post op and 19Ibs down, I am firmly in a size 14 (whether its a dress or pants). I know it will take a while before I see size 12. I too am 5'7 and I'm hoping to reach a goal of 145/150. One thing I would say that has helped tremendously is the total body wieght training class I do at my gym. Especially when it comes to my thigh area. I also do a bunch of pilates/ toning exercises on a YT channel called FitnessBlender. I love that channel!! I understand you feeling you might bulk up as I initially feared that when it came to my thighs, but I'm quite proud of how toned they've become.

So, please let me clarify. If you don't get into your dream size, you are going to have an extreme amount of anxiety? I think we are all somewhat OCDish when it comes to losing weight. This is one of the few times that we have stayed focused and seeing significant results at an extremely fast pace. I also have a goal of getting into a size 6 slacks. I have/had a personal goal of getting down to 130 lbs. I am 5'6" and big boned. Right now i weigh 146 lbs and wear a size 8 in slacks and a medium/small in tops. I prefer the medium's to the smalls because I don't like the snug fit. But yes, my dream size is a size 6 and until I reached that goal,I wouldn't be successful in my eyes. LOL Now I am readjusting this goal, I had seen someone walk by me in a store and she had a weird body shape that scared me. Her trunk was right proportion, but here legs were so skinny that it looked unhealthy. I don't want that for me. I know that since I've lost 77 lbs, my legs feel so light now that it's weird when I walk. I really having done much intensity walking, so today I shall begin. But I want to have nice legs that fit the proportionate size of my trunk. Yes, now I am in maintenance to stay at 146. The OCD part of me says 140 to 145 lbs. Now it's time to just settle with 145 because I am going to feel better. Sorry for the rant, but I believe our bodies are going to settle where they need to be. And yes, since this surgery we have all become OCD in some way. That is our anxiety talking to us. :)

Well, I'm attempting not to be 'size obsessed' because whenever I do certain things now - like sitting down in the bathtub, I'm thinking "dang that's my bones hitting the marble." Or we went sit on a bench and I put my back against the wall, thinking something was poking out of the wall because ouch for a sec... surprise, surprise, that was my backbone against the wall, wth? lol... I am NOT used to this body yet. My naked body has so changed, I stare at it sometimes with incredulous disbelief of "is that really me?' in all honesty. But you know whenever you are larger, you always want to be a smaller size. For me, growing up, I was always a size 14. I had broad shoulders so let's just say school dances were out. Part of it was my head issues with my weight, part of it was where could you find a formal to fit a size 14 with broad shoulders and trannie feet (lol) pardon me larger feet for a nice, hip, now-a-days style? And I lived in a small town and part of my life my family was very meager. So I just did w/o.

So yeah, I'm 38 (almost 39) and I still 'dream' of sample size fits. I know it's unrealistic, but I am digressing into dream territory here ok?

So realistically, should I just be happy in a 12 is what I'm struggling with? Or should I push to reach my "dream" of an 8? I'm struggling on that fence to be honest.

A number on a scale or in a pair or my pants shouldn't be THE sign of happiness. But am I talking myself out of reaching full "success" of reaching the dream? Not sure!

I just need a reality check. Am I being unrealistic to push to an 8? IDK... so just thought my crazed OCD hormonal woman self would ask lol. Thanks for your responses. I am glad I am not alone here (and in some rather great company!).

and I don't think I have wide hips... wide girth (belly) has always been my issue!

Actually, it doesn't hurt to aim at a size 8. I am broad shoulder too and it's frustrating when I buy a jacket that's a size 8 and I can't wear it because my shoulder's are too broad. So I will settle for a size 10 when I have too. All sizes in clothing differ to some degree. I have said before that I would like to wear a size 6, but I don't like snug pants, but I also don't like loose pants.

If you don't shoot for a size 8, the worst that will happen is your settle for a 10, depending on the sizing of the manufacturer. However, your body is going to be so hot and sexy your significant other will have a hard time keeping their hands off you! Yayyyyyyy that's success! Use your OCD to taking in your beautiful body size! Yep, you need to love your skinniness now! :)

Ok guys, I've had enough medical crap going on to last me a freaking lifetime - at least for the next 10 years at minimum I want nothing else to be wrong with me. Through all of this, I've been focused on my goal and trying to remain positive. But I have something that is bothering the obsessive compulsive part of me. Dare I come to post it to get a proverbial slap of sense into me? Ok I'd RATHER some polite perspective on ways for me to reframe my state of mind.

I'm finally at 160! (Yay me!) I am 5'7" and FOR ME that equates to a size 12 (I wear a size 11 shoe, yes trannie territory I know... but gives you a point of reference that I'm no string bean.... women's size M shirts now, even sometimes rare small mixed in). I work out 6 days a week, heavy on the cardio (60 mins at a time), not as much on the weights anymore because I bulk/muscle up easily and wanted to reach goal asap. My goal is 150, maybe more (like where I am) to 'settle' for life. I doubt seriously I can get to 140 ever, but IDK on that yet.

Why am I posting this thread? Seems like many people at my height, 5'7" and weight, 160 are much smaller than I am as it relates to size. I have some "give" in some of the 12's I'm in, but mostly I am a 'solid' 12/mediums now.

The 'dream' (obsession) for me is an 8. Am I kidding myself? I'm thinking durn it, at this point, I might just have to be 'over the moon' with a 10. So what suggestions to get me there? (I've been avoiding the personal trainer in honesty, I don't want someone that'll make me puke and they scare me... yep, I said it. The workout fiend that I am, the personal trainers frighten me. They push your limits. Maybe I need that, but maybe I'm ok sitting in the fetal position sucking my thumb in my size 12s, lol). Or do I just need to be patient and give the ol' body some more time? (I'll be at the 6 month mark 9/5 and I worry that I'll hit stallsville, so yeah OCD with pressure.)

As I understand it, I've been told that sometimes it's 5 lbs between the smaller sizes. Do you find that to be accurate? Hey tell a fat lady (me) because for all of my life (seriously i've never been below a 14 so a 12 is an accomplishment!) but I could lose or gain 30 lbs and still be in an 18, barely getting into my 16s. For real. I gain everything in my trunk, and now, at 160 - it's the LAST place it's leaving, just like "they" say, it's true!

Ok be kind please for my silly (trying to be humorous) post. And yes, I did search first and didn't find anything on this one. Surely I am not the only OCD-ish woman that thinks this way? Well I'll admit my craziness for the hopes that someone else might benefit from it as well so.... let's see... (hoping y'all will 'be kind')! Thanks for your time.... xx

First....do NOT underestimate what you can do with your new little tummy!! I did and was shocked at how low I could go!! My initial goal was not a weight, but a size. Eight was what I had in mind, but I got there so fast and kept on losing. The first time I slipped into a size 4, I was talking to myself in the dressing room. I wanted to run out and shout it to everybody in The Gap!!! In there now, I have 8's, 6's and 4's. I've gained about six lbs this summer because of all the summertime stuff, vacation, fam reunion, company, but as of this morning, I'm on my way to where I'm comfortable, between 142 and 145. Three more lbs and I'll be in the 4's again comfortably. Right now the 6's are best, but seriously, a SIX????!!!! You can do it. I'm just under 5'7", I started at 228, today I was just over 148. You can do it, don't think you're dreaming.....it's doable, I'm proof. I'm almost 53 and I don't ever remember being this small. I swear I went from a size 6X in 2nd grade to a 14!!!! LOL My wedding dress (I was 19) is a size 9.

I too am OCD, I weigh twice a day, and have for over 2 yrs now. I do not freak out when the scale goes up a little, I can get it off pretty easy....and YES 5 lbs can make the difference with a size clothing. Like I said, I can GET into my 4's, but the 6's feel better right now. In 5 lbs, a 6 will look like the rest of the family moved out!!!! You've done amazing. Give it some time, enjoy the ride and you'll be surprised at what can happen!!! Good luck!

BTW - my whole life, my mom said I was 'big boned' - everything but my wrists - shockingly, that is not the case!!!! I love having a collar bone, legs that actually have that little gap when you're laying down and your legs are bent...you can see light!! :) Shoulder bones, I feel my own shoulders and think I feel BONEY!!!! That 'hump' at the back of my neck....GONE!!!!! It IS weird getting use to the new us......I still have my husband point out someone when we are shopping that is about my size. It's easier to see than when we look in the mirror!!!

Ok honey....I am 5' tall and have maintained 110 for years (not the last ten) and I never never never fit into a sample size even when I could wear a size 2!

At that weight I am a 0/2 in high end designer cloths and a 4/6 in things like the gap etc. so, I never really look at size much because I know that even at my norm size is a number from a factory, not a real figure to hang your hat on.

But....if you really want to meet that goal I can guarantee you can do it, but it won't be cheap. Go to a store that sells "not your daughters jeans". If you are in a 14 now you should try on a ten or smaller...no I'm not kidding :). They are actually a great investment because they fit very flattering and you will meet your magic size :).

"Why am I posting this thread? Seems like many people at my height, 5'7" and weight, 160 are much smaller than I am as it relates to size. I have some "give" in some of the 12's I'm in, but mostly I am a 'solid' 12/mediums now."

I don't nearly match your height and am small boned, but now at 160 pounds I wear mostly 12s with the occasional size 10 thrown in. Tops are mostly medium with the occasional small.

Also like you I exercise quite a lot. I go on strenuous 6 hour hikes though with smaller hikes throughout the week. I have replaced a lot of the fat with muscle in my core and lower body. I have zilch for upper body strength.

I do think you are at the correct clothing size, but what you have been told about the lower sizes is close to correct. When I reach goal at 130 I should be wearing a 6 as I remember. It is more like one size for every 10 pounds whereas at size 22-16 it was more like 30-40 pounds.

Weird huh?

I think that size isn't such a great way to judge success. When I was younger I weighed between 108-125 and wore a 3/4 forever..128 and a size 7...135-145 a 9. Now I'm at around 220 and I can go between a 14 & an 18 depending on my celiac bloating. I'm 5'5" but if you look at my sizes they don't much match up with some of the above posts.

Go by how you FEEL in your clothes...in your own skin...If you want to pursue an 8, go for it! If it's meant to be, you may find that you end up in an even lower size. However, if you end up in a 10 and you look and feel great...embrace your 10. :D

You sound like you've already succeeded and your picture proves you look amazing. CONGRATULATIONS!

Women's sizes are SO inconsistent. I hit 199 this morning, I am 5'5" and pretty much wear regular size 16. Yesterday I bought a Calvin Klein pencil skirt (affordable at Ross Dress for Less!) that was a size 14!!! The tops I bought were either XL or Large. One of the large shirts is bigger then the XLs!

I went to order something online and the size chart for that item said i should wear an 18/20 or 1X. All the 18s I own are falling off me so i skipped that - worried about fit.

I feel like it is a bad "measure" because it just depends on how snug you like your clothes, different clothes makers size differently AND depending on the cut of the item, you may need a bigger size if one part of you is bigger.

10 years ago, I got down to 205 and never wore smaller then an 18 or 1x - clearly clothes have gotten bigger over the last 10 years too.