Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Follow the Weight Watcher's Program After Banding?

I was just wondering, does anyone follow the Weight Watchers program or any other program after getting banded? I've been banded for 2 years now, and was sucessfully in the beginning and started gaining weight back because I wasn't following any of the band's rules.

Now I am starting over and would don't know where to begin with eating.

All suggestions welcome.

Personally, no, not now. I have been on WW numerous times in my life though and feel it is a wonderful program, the best out there. However, since getting my band, I have had the philosophy of "no dieting". The minute I tell myself I am on a diet, I feel deprived and start eating everything in site. With my band, I am simply eating what I want, but just trying to make healthier choices. So far, it seems to be working for me. If, in the future, I do need to "diet" again, I would definitely go with weight watchers.

Have you checked out the food forum? I believe there are a couple of threads there with people that are doing WW.

I have thought about it. Before i was banded I had read an article about a woman with a lap band who was doing WW. I asked my doctor about it and he said no since i would be going to my own support group. I think that might be the major benefit, the weekly support group and the knowledge that you will be publically weighed!

I plan to follow Weight Watchers after I am banded. I love the point system and it is easy to track food that way. I will follow their 8 healthy guidelines and I feel that with the band I will be able to be successful.

I am two weeks post-op and still on liquids for another week. I plan on doing Weight Watchers when I go to solids. I have done WW in the past and never came close to the 32 points a day they had me on. I was always still hungry at 100 points a day. So since the band is supposed to get you eating 1/3 your pre-op food, I thought WW would be perfect.

I also like the fact that WW makes it easy to journal your foods and points. I have used the web site in the past and thought it was a great way to keep track of what I was eating, even if it was 100 points a day.

My doctor recommend WW or the South Beach diet phase III after banding because it is healthier. Not sure if i will try but we will see. I have only been banded for 1 week

I soooo need to do WW again. I'm planning on starting soon. I lost 60 pounds doing ww at one time. Now I'm 2.5 years out... lost about 60-70 pounds after being banded, just by eating healthier, and moving more. Now, I quit smoking, and am gaining rapidly. I'm down about 40 from my banding weight.. and feeling really icky. I'm properly restricted, don't eat all that much.. but I need a structured program. I thought I was done with dieting.. but I guess not. WW, here I come!

I have to disagree with you guys..

You got the band, so can eat whatever you want in small quantites, and be satisfied, not to follow WW or other diets. Getting the band is a total change in your eatings habits, so if you kept doing the WW you will never change the your REAL habits.

I eat everything I used to like. chocolate, KFC, some fatty foods, and still loosing weight BIG TIME. Its all beacuse the band helped me to do the quantinty control unlike before getting it.

You got the band, so can eat whatever you want in small quantites, and be satisfied, not to follow WW or other diets. Getting the band is a total change in your eatings habits, so if you kept doing the WW you will never change the your REAL habits.

I eat everything I used to like. chocolate, KFC, some fatty foods, and still loosing weight BIG TIME. Its all beacuse the band helped me to do the quantinty control unlike before getting it.

You are very mistaken about following WW not letting you change your REAL habits. WW works!!! There is no arguing that fact. If you follow the program, you will lose weight and keep it off. The key to following the program is to change your bad eating habits. The problem for many of us, was that after following the program, eating healthy and exercising, we were still hungry. So having the band and using WW is a terrific way to use all the tools you can to acheive a healthy life.

It sounds like, from the food your are still eating, that you might need to make some major changes. You don't sound like you have changed your eating habits, except for the amounts. You might be eating less, and lossing weight, but it won't last forever, and your body needs some better nutrition. Getting the right quantity of food is only one part of the process, getting the right quality of food is the other. For those who just want to lose weight, I would say maybe WW is not the right solution, but for those who want to lose weight and really be healthy, WW is a perfect support group, information place, and has great recipes. It really works, scientifically proven, if you follow that program.

Wow, who told you that you can eat whatever you want on the band??? :D You are supposed to change your habits -its the whole reason for getting the band! Seriously, who told you that?:phanvan

Okay I just checked and you are only 24 yrs old...still should have awesome metabolism. And, I have had French food, so I think I understand...but no doc could have told you that, could they?

Not trying to argue or anything, just shocked by that statement. :biggrin1:

I think the whole idea behind following WW is to change my eating habits. It would be very easy for me to eat the same foods I have been eating, just smaller quantities. That is not what I want from the band. I want healthy habits and following a program like WW provides a framework for developing those habits.

Once Im back on solids, Im going back just for the structure and healthy habits. I agree with susan no "dieting" but for me this will have to be a new way of eating from now on. Its a relearning of how to eat. The occassional splurge is ok if it is planned then the regular routine is resumed.

Its worth the $12 to me for the accountability.

There is a GREAT page for those who dont want to go to the meetings Its DWLZ.com

She has done all the work and posted it on the web!!

I know my surgeon made it very clear to me before getting the band that it is a wonderful tool. But, it is just that, a tool. To see real results, I would have to make healthier choices and get up and get moving. I have no doubt that even with my band, if I continued to eat chips and dip every night and all the other junk all the time that made me fat, I would not be losing. Do I still eat those things, heck yeah I do. But, not every day like I used to. When I do eat those things, it is a special treat. And, when I crave them, I eat them. I don't feel like I am on a diet because I am not deprived of anything (except bread, I miss bread) and therefore, I am succeeding. However, I have made a point of making healthier choices. We still eat at KFC sometimes too . But instead of the greasy, extra crispy chicken, I now choose their grilled chicken. By doing so, I am making a healthier choice.

I choose not to do WW or any other diet because I do not want to have to spend the rest of my life counting points, calories, carbs, or anything else. But, lets be smart, we do need to make healthier choices for our band, heart, body and general health. Otherwise, what is the point of getting the band?

I am seriously considering weight watchers - not for the food or the points but for the support and the encouragement. I know we are supposed to get that from lap band support groups but mine meets once a month and it has turned into nothing more than an informational group for the people who are thinking about getting the band. I find myself eating alot of the wrong food and i justify it by saying that nothing "good" goes down easily. I lose about 1 pound every two to three months, I don't want another fill because there are times when even Water gurgles for over 30 minutes. I work out at least three times a week if not more. I think i need the "public humiliation" of the weigh in.

WW does not publicly humiliate you with your weigh in, it is very private, just you and the worker there know. But it really does work. Knowing that I will be weighed at the same time every week and I can't skip it really helps. I count the food, not to help me eat less as much as to be able to check that I am being healthy. For me, I would love to lose the weight, but there seems to be no point in being lighter if I am not also much healthier. I know just losing the weight makes you healthier, but why not take it to the next level and live a few more years, and be active longer by learning about good nutrition and healthy eating? I love Weight Watchers, and will use it forever. It helps me stay on track.

Becki