Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Irritated And Short Tempered

I am 5 days out from surgery and I have 3 children 7,5,and 3. I have always been very mild tempered with them I've never been big on yelling at them . They have been away for a week and came back yesterday and they are irritating me beyond belief. From my 3 year old asking if I'm a "kinny" mommy yet to the constant giggling from my daughter. My seven year old son is extremly mature and understands what is happen and is really doing well. I know I'm going through alot right now and I was wondering how other moms handled their child post-operativly? And my poor husband he says I'm Satan ....lol ! Any advice would be apperciated.

HA. Send them away again. Just kidding ;) Girl, as a Mom myself I don't know what I will do. Actually, it is good that my daughter will be back in school once I have my surgery. I think I would be ready to jump of the balcony if not. I hope you get some good advice because I may need it too.

I know how you feel---I could tell a change in my daughter the first day I started to feel better--so did she. I would advise family/friends help--perhaps taking the kids for the afternoon a little. You need rest. If that is not possible--just hang in there--it gets better.

Trust me the short temperedness will go away. I was super scared I was going to stay a b***h, my poor husband. But it does go away, well replaced with a little depression then it goes back to normal. Hang in there tell your kids mom is going to be a little different but it won't last.

have dad spend some quality time with 'em & take 'em out to the park & wear their little butts out until it's time for bed. lol spend all day at the park & let 'em run around & tire themselves out.. bring 'em home for nap time. when they wake up.. take 'em out again & repeat.

i'm so happy i don't have kids.. i'd probably be in the same boat as you. lol but yeah.. were i in your shoes, i would just send the dad away with the kids until i was feeling better & knowing me, i'd forbid 'em from talking to me until then.

I just read all this and felt compelled to warn my husband: "Hon- be prepared for my irritability after surgery". Husband of the year: "worse than now?". He's on my crap list.... Again ;)

Funny enough my husband already expects it. The surgeon warned him I guess I get a b*tch pass for a few weeks!

I have a son who will be 1 on Tuesday. I sent him to my moms for a couple weeks because I knew I wouldn't be able to handle him especially since I can't bend or lift him. I miss my baby though she brings him by daily so I can see him...

I came home from the hospital about 4 hours before my son came back from his dads. He was about 16mos then. I had him all by myself the entire two weeks post-op before I went back to work and it was fine for us. He was pretty self sufficient, climbed the stairs by himself, climbed into bed himself, up on the couch... I pretty much just let him run free the whole time (he was confined the to kitchen/living room with a baby gate) and didn't worry about picking up the mess until nap time and bed time.

Your kids are older so I'm sure its probably harder, ur maybe you could ask your son to help mommy with the little ones? Just tell him that mommy's not feeling well and really neeeds his help until she feels better. He'll feel super important and useful, like he's helping you get healthy too...

Seriously guys I'm about 3 seconds from balling like I'm 3 . I swear I don't want to feel this way about my children .....they are the reason I did the surgery becuase I want to live as long and be as healthy as I canbe for there kids. My seven year old just told me to go lay down and he would give my 3 year old a bath in my bathroom and he did it ... Got him out and dressed him and everything ....( ok the tears have arrived). I can't wait for October so that the hard part will be memories and I can get my mother of the year award back ! And it back to work for me tomorrow .....lord give me strength!!!!

I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. Sometimes we as Moms need a break and it is okay. Realizing it is have the battle. You need this time to recover and heel. I don't think your feelings are abnormal or make you less of a great Mom. You will be healthier because of this and with that be able to tend to them even better. But you gotta take a moment if you need it. Can the 7 year old put on a favorite movie or something for the 3 years old to keep him occupied? I am not sure what time zone you are in, but if you are east coast or central it is almost bed time for the 3 year old. But him/her to bed a little early. You may feel better in the morning after a nights rest.

Tell hubs you need a break.

This is a big surgery and is an emotional roller coaster ride. Just remember it will pass but I agree- see if you can get some help even a couple hours at a time so you can rest properly. As you heal- I'm sure you will get stronger ad the hormones will begin to balance out. We are here for you!! Keep talking girl! If it keeps you from taking it out on the kiddos - pop on here an just keep on talking- xxxx

HA. Send them away again. Just kidding ;).

As soon as I read it, I thought the same thing.

Everybody is asleep and everything is ready for tomorrow I just felt my anxiety go from 10 to about 3 . This is a great forum , I really apperciate all the encouragement. Now it's time for me to settle myself for the evening. Everybody have a great night and I hope the scales are kind to everyone in the morning ...lol