Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Your Stomach Has Healed Can You Eat Fermented Foods (Like Kimchi, Sauer Kraut, Etc) And Spicy Food?

i saw the post about beer & thought i should ask. if i can't eat kimchi or spicy food, i'm not getting this surgery, because i could roll around in those & die happy. lol

not literally, of course.. and i don't mean spicy + greasy.. like mexican.. i'm specifically thinking of Korean, Thai & Indian food.. i love spice. mom swears i'm half dragon. lol

Everybody's different. My husband, also a sleever, eats spicy food frequently. I have a tender palate and can't tolerate a lot of heat. There are lots of people on here who love spicy food!

I eat everything with tobasco and franks! And I eat sour kraut all the time. Actually I feel Exacty like I did pre op just eat less!

cool beans! :) dunno why i think the stomach won't be able to handle stuff after surgery.. i don't really eat all that bad.. i just eat way too much of everything & i don't move.. :/ so i'm happy that this would make me cut my portions down. :)

i appreciate everyone's patience with me & willingness to answer questions, too! :)

I love kimchee. Eat it often.

I eat everything with tobasco and franks! And I eat sour kraut all the time. Actually I feel Exacty like I did pre op just eat less!

So you put that - on everything ? Lol. I couldn't resist!

I think I am one of the few lucky folks. Never ate anything that didn't agree. I eat spicy all the time. Love kimchi. Now I just make better choices... Smaller portions. Just haven't tried sweets... They were my down fall on my way up the weight latter. So going to wait on that until I am closer to goal.

I don't thing I could survive with my hot sauces, spices and hot garlic salsa.

Sent from my iPad using VST

is it because of your surgery or because you don't like the taste or can't handle the taste in your mouth?.. i guess that's my concern.. if the stomach, after surgery, can or cannot handle fermented and spicy food.. if you don't like spicy stuff, then that's fine & dandy, but i do & i want to still be able to enjoy it after surgery & my stomach healed up.

is it because of your surgery or because you don't like the taste or can't handle the taste in your mouth?.. i guess that's my concern.. if the stomach' date=' after surgery, can or cannot handle fermented and spicy food.. if you don't like spicy stuff, then that's fine & dandy, but i do & i want to still be able to enjoy it after surgery & my stomach healed up.[/quote']

Im pretty sure she meant "without".

ah.. okay. lol thank you. :) sometimes i wonder about myself.. how i could misread that.. -_- i feel like a nincompoop.. lol but thank you. :)

I really do hope that I can eat fermented foods after I have healed enough.

I even got old fashioned Crocks for Christmas, so that I can make my own Kraut and pickles, and then get creative if all goes well. I am and have always been addicted to fermented foods, so I am happy to hear many of you can eat and tolerate fermented foods well. Even if I have to give up spicy, to protect my stomach, that's OK. I just neeeeed the fermented pickles, kraut and even organic apple cider vinegar. =)

Never tried any fermented foods to be honest, but Kombucha doesn't sit well in my stomach. Spicey stuff is no problem though

Can't eat spicy food because they make me want to drink with my meal . But I never ate spicy much before surgery for the same reason. Everyone sleeve can handle different things , we are not one fits all. Good luck