Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 1 year, 1 month out from VSG and my weight loss totally stopped in early June. I am SO upset. I have 13 more pounds to lose just to be at a "normal" BMI. I am SO sad! How much longer do we lose weight with VSG? Has my sleeve stretched???

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem?

I was 233, then on my surgery date, I had lost to 217. I am now 145. at 5'1",....

Maybe go back to basics...measuring, tracking...ugh. That's why I had the VSG, so I wouldn't have to keep track!

Thanks for any help!

Sorry Sue. Sounds like you already know the answer. Tracking your food. It sounds like you've had some great success, and you're almost there.

For me, I don't ever see a time when I won't be tracking my food. It doesn't bother me. My biology and physiology will not allow me to pay no attention to what I eat without gaining weight. If I could do that, I never would have needed this surgery. But I don't mind. It's a small price to pay to be healthy.

Keep going. You'll get there.

Yup, tracking. As you lose weight, the calories you need for basic metabolism decrease so you need to eat less if you are at a plateau. After you reach your goal weight, you can add them back slowly so that your weight is stable.

It took me six months to drop the last twenty pounds. I stalled out not long before I hit that point for about nine weeks.

Tracking is critical because it's easy to slip into denial about our eating habits if we aren't holding ourselves accountable. I sincerely doubt your sleeve has stretched. It's more likely that you aren't aware that you're eating more than you were when you lost best, that's all.

I'm also 5'1" and a bit and had a dream goal (like, an "I don't think I'll ever get there but I WANT to goal") of 125 pounds, but I set my goal at 135 - the most I could weigh and be pretty close to a normal BMI. If I round up and say I'm 5'2" it works out better. ;)

The reality is that my body doesn't really want to stay between 134-137. It loves being 138. Exactly 138 pounds. I can eat anything I want and stay that weight. But to maintain the lower weight I need to drink a Protein shake every day, keep my Protein over 90+ grams a day and really watch what I'm eating. Oh, and drink a ton of Water. If I'm not diligent my body slips right back to it's happy place: 138 pounds.

It's incredibly frustrating. The truth is that regardless of what we want and what that stupid BMI chart says, sometimes our bodies are just done when they're done. You can force it to go farther if you really work at it, but sometimes it's a real chore to maintain once you're there.

Please don't forget to take any excess skin into account, either. I will easily shed ten pounds with plastics and I know that. I'll be right there at my dream goal once that happens.

So for now, buckle down and get real with yourself about how you're eating. If shaving 20% off your total calories for a few weeks doesn't help, you might be at that happy place. If it does help, you have your answer.

Best of luck,

~Cheri

I haven't lost weight since May, and I am making changes to get over this. I have been tracking my food regularly, but I'm still not losing. It made me really review what I was doing and where I might be going wrong.

My biggest area of questionable eating is when I cook at home. How much am I really eating?

I suspect that my portions are larger than I realize. To get me back on track, I've recently bought smaller bowls (4 ounce size) and a digital scale. This way, I will know exactly how many calories I am eating because I will know the weight of my food.

I am hoping that using the scale will help teach me what portion sizes really are, and I will be a better judge of portions at other iffy times like in restaurants.

I am also reviewing my exercising and upping my game there as well. Walking three times a week isn't enough. I need to do the stuff that leaves me red faced and drenched in sweat at least 5 times a week. And I'm joining the gym at work.

Same here, at about 10 months and 160 pounds gone it slowed way down and stopped at one year. I got down to 202, pretty far from my original goal of (pretty unreasonable in retrospect) 180 and my second (more reasonable) of 190. I got down to 202. Since then I have put on about 7 pounds back up to 209. I suspect MOST of it is muscle as my clothes fit as good or better than they did at 202. I've been biking and swimming a LOT this year.

I think I will always be tracking my food intake too. The closer I get to goal, the slower the weight loss has been.

I hike, bike, swim and walk. The once a week hikes are strenuous.

Is anyone working out? Or totally dependant on the sleeve?

I was working out when I took my sig pic. I think it goes hand in hand with being healthy and losing weight.