Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spivak and Spiegal - Tell me more

Thanks for the clarification. Thank goodness I haven't had to use the cell number or go to the emergency room. I just "assumed" they worked. I based that on talking to another doctor who shared the "on call" with Spiegel. I'm so sorry for your experience and it certainly is one well worth mentioning.

I have had experience with the office staff of two of these doctors (not spivak). While both were friendly, neither got it right. Both gave bad information and dropped the ball. They were not medical matters, but insurance.

Hope you are on your way now and can have some success with the band.

And in response to the ROBOT comment, we are highly trained personnel with years of experience in the MEdical field. On occasion we have to deal with Unprofessional people. We provide a service to the community, I guess when u start losing weight & looking good. Well, you just might forget who did U the favor. I mean, this is an elective surgery for some, emergency for others. Please consider that before attacking anyone about anything.

Have a wonderful day!:nervous

um yeah obviously thats what i did... can you not read and process that? I was thinking if there was an understanding for why something is happening though then i would take that into account first? hence why i am not a dr/nurse I dont know about these things. AND how would i know that would happen to me?? I was in YOUR office a few days before and was told there wasent a damn thing wrong with me, except gas. If I was to talk to my family dr you would think that only 4 days earlier you would have told me that? Or wait was that common sense on my part to read minds as well?

I'm really glad you posted this actually, its just another example of how your office feels about their patients and their aftercare. Remember ladies: " You Get Tender Loving Care at TLC Texas Laparoscopy Center :)

Oh and as an afterthought. I'm so glad reps. from the various doctor's offices are looking at this thread. Maybe they will take some of the comments back to their offices and make some changes. Wouldn't that be a great side benefit?

I think that would be an excellent side benefit.

And, just to clarify something that I added earlier to a post, because words do not always convey feelings accurately, when I said:

Take your advertising elsewhere, it has no place here.

I meant the blatent advertising not the person. If I had meant the person, I would have written "you have no place here", which is not what I wrote, however it seems that a few people may have read it that way.

This has gotten too petty & I'm a better person than that! So, I have expressed my thoughts on all of this. I am VERY HAPPY with my surgery & wouldn't change a thing about it. So, everyone is different; different opinions, different everything. So, As the BIGGER PERSON that I am, I will walk away from this conversation & consider it finished. U can take it anyway you want! Besides, if YOU can't fight your own battles, I don't need to bother with you. I also don't have all day to toss insults back & forth. I believe in MY Dr & that's all that matters to me. Everyone else's opinion is IRRELEVANT to ME!

Smile, because you DO get TLC @ TLC!

:)

Dr SPiegel seminar IS FREE. It's the consultation with him (ONE ON ONE) that he collects the Co-pay for. It's an office visit, so of course we expect payment.

i suspected that this was a mole among us...the "we" gives it up.

size eight, we are happy for your success, but...

Was the band removed due to a malfunction? Why was the band removed if u don't mind my asking. I don't consider a waste of money if U didn't follow the directions in order to lose the weight well then it's your own fault. Like I said I know of several people who have had the lap band & HAVEN'T experienced ANY problems. Again, every situation is different!:)

WOW, eight, you may have just opened a can of worms...eeeks, i think i am going to run for cover.

and just for the record, my previous post was a reference to you sounding like you were advertising. the post was made before i read everyone else's posts on the matter...

i went to a spiegel and a spivak seminar. i marked differences in personality, as their marks seem pretty similar in terms of surgical ability. spiegel's office staff did not care to talk to me, unless it was talk of delivering some money. i knew that i did not want to deal with that the rest of my life, soooo, i found spivak's office to be the exact opposite...very informative and friendly, and willing to help me, before i ever made my final decision. they have been great since banding also!!!

i have never heard anything bad about spivak...i have heard plenty of complaints about spiegel. it is not that patients are SCARED to say anything BAD about spivak, and spiegel's unhappy patients arent picking on spiegel. right? i mean come on...we are all smart enough to know that if spiegel had more bad outcomes than good, that he would not be doing surgeries anymore. but it sure is odd that SOOOO many patients are unhappy...and soo unhappy that it warrants them posting negative commnets.

gosh, i am tired, did any of that make sense?

No offense, BUT anytime I am in fear that something might be TERRIBLY wrong with me, or something within MY OWN body doesn't FEEL RIGHT. Because no one knows your body better than you, well then I would have been in the ER. Understandably it could have been related to the lapband, it could have NOT been related. But, why wait until the WORST THING to happen to you before U UUUUU react. Understandably yes, it might have been related to the band, know one can know for sure. But, again:

Anyone with COMMON SENSE would know that IF IT DOESN"T FEEL RIGHT, either go to the ER or call your FP.

oh my gosh...this statement really concerns me. i mean, really, if i am in a state such as that, believe me, i WILL take my plus sized behind to the ER. However, i pay someone 15k to do this, and in the same breath of surgery, i am coughing up blood, i would probably call my surgeon first. if he refused to call me back, i would definitely end up in the ER if my concern rose to that level. however, in the beginning...i would definitely be inclined to call the surgeon and get his take on the matter. i mean, phunk! i would much rather have him tell me on the phone that it IS band related, but don't worry unless...as opposed to going to the ER and letting some less than band-knowledgeable physician misdiagnose me.

size8, you really seem too biased to provide objective info on the doc. my opinion, like my bunghole, is that you should stick to offering info as it directly relates to your experience as a patient, not as his employee. we all want to hear what you have to say, but the comment quoted above is SOOOO typical of elitist type medical office personnel that we have all encountered from time to time.

ok, so luv all!

This has gotten too petty & I'm a better person than that! So, I have expressed my thoughts on all of this. I am VERY HAPPY with my surgery & wouldn't change a thing about it. So, everyone is different; different opinions, different everything. So, As the BIGGER PERSON that I am, I will walk away from this conversation & consider it finished. U can take it anyway you want! Besides, if YOU can't fight your own battles, I don't need to bother with you. I also don't have all day to toss insults back & forth. I believe in MY Dr & that's all that matters to me. Everyone else's opinion is IRRELEVANT to ME!

Smile, because you DO get TLC @ TLC!

this is the kind of arguments that my children make when the find themselves argued into a corner...and add to that that they have usually argued themselves into the corner with their own words...but...

so anyway, again, size 8, we are glad to have you and would love to hear about your story, but spare us the whole tlc @ tlc (??!!) the peeps here who love him, don't need convincing, and the people who have not been treated as they expected...arent going to change their mind due to used-to-be-obese-and-now-i-am-not cheerleader is chanting "T-L-C"

I have NO experience with Spiegel. I chose Spivak for a number of reasons and I am happy with that decision. No office is perfect, no doctor is perfect, no surgicenter is perfect. Sh#$ happens sometimes and it sucks when it does. I have a couple of obeservations, though. One, to WVVaporchick who had the pneumonia complication and the problems immediately after surgery, it is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE for any doctor not to speak with you promptly and to see you immediately. I will refrain from posting my profession, but some of your story really made me question whether the standard of care was breached.

My biggest pet peeve with so many doctor's offices these days is that they are run by personnel who do not have the training and experience to give medical advice -- not to mention the whole practicing medicine without a license issue -- and they are the ones giving out the advice to patients. This even is true for Dr. Spivak's offfice. They are playing with fire, legally speaking.

Also, the surgicenter where Spiegel and Spivak is used by them and other doctors. As someone else has mentioned, they all likely have an ownership interest.

I totally respect everyone's opinion on their doctor and experiences will vary greatly from person to person. I think most would agree that both Spiegel and Spivak have lots of experience and good reputations as surgeons. There are other things to consider, however, in selecting a doctor.

Finally, to Size8, your opinions are duly noted, but some of your posts are unreasonably hostile:

For example: "Was the band removed due to a malfunction? Why was the band removed if u don't mind my asking. I don't consider a waste of money if U didn't follow the directions in order to lose the weight well then it's your own fault." (Seems like you are judging her without any knowledge of her situation)

"No offense, BUT anytime I am in fear that something might be TERRIBLY wrong with me, or something within MY OWN body doesn't FEEL RIGHT. Because no one knows your body better than you, well then I would have been in the ER. Understandably it could have been related to the lapband, it could have NOT been related. But, why wait until the WORST THING to happen to you before U UUUUU react. Understandably yes, it might have been related to the band, know one can know for sure. But, again:

Anyone with COMMON SENSE would know that IF IT DOESN"T FEEL RIGHT, either go to the ER or call your FP."

This is just total BS. If I have had a recent surgery and develop ANY complications, whether I think it is directly related to the surgery or not, the first person I call is the SURGEON because he/she was the last one inside my body. If I need to go to the ER, that surgeon better be available to give information to the ER docs. A surgeon's duty doesn't end when he or she stitches me up.

I am pretty laid back about most things, but these two posts really got to me. Eight, you are not the best advertising for Dr. Spiegel's practice.

By the way-- as a Spiegel cash patient, fills are *FREE* for the first year, at the surgicenter-- I have verified this w/ my first fill appt next week.

And, also, I don't care for my OB/GYN's bedside manner, but he delivered all three of my gorgeous children and he's still my doc.

Wouldn't change a thing!

I live many states away from TX, I could have had my surgery in my state but CHOSE to have a surgeon with more experience. I am having my aftercare from a doc closer to home.

I have tiny scars, I was up and able to walk through 3 airports the morning after my surgery, and then drive myself home. My recovery was fast. Ive had zero complications. My port is like it doesn't exist, I wonder if its really in there??

I felt the quality of care I received was excellent. Maybe im odd, but I actually liked Dr. Speigels personality. Sorry if that bothers anyone, but Im entitled to my oppinion.

Well again, the only reason that I give out Dr Spiegel's phone # & website is because an email is alot of times Not very personal. Whereas a phone call to the office would probably answer ALOT more questions then an email.

In reference to giving out Medical Advice, The ONLY person giving out MEDICAL INFORMATION in our office is OUR Nurse! I don't give out any Clinical/Medical information to anyone because I don't have that kind of knowledge.