Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spivak and Spiegal - Tell me more

So upset!!!!:think

Went for my seminar and dr visit with Dr. Spivak today. Was so upbeat and after the seminar and all the talk with past bandeee's and stuff.

The time came to get to have the one on one with Dr.Spivak.

I had a major surgery on my stomach in 1995 which included the using a a mesh on my diaphram, depending on where this mesh was put may keep me from being a band canidate.

The surgeon from 95 has since retired, so I have to see if I can get the operative records to find out just what all they did.

I could have cried a river, if not for the support of my husband.

I start checking Monday to see if those records from 12 years ago are available. But as he said this may just be a true test of just how bad I want this.

We discussed by-pass but it would possiblly have to be an open surgery.

Anyone that has done that knows that is the very last option I want to entertain.

As for as Dr. Spivak and his office staff, they were the best. I would have never dreamed of them being so personal and one on one.

And I do appreciate that he did not just take my previous history and not pay attention to it, could have been devasting to expect a simple lap band and then have to have closed with nothing have happend after spending the out of pocket money ourselves as this is not being covered by insurance.

I have been fat for 15 years, I can be patient to wait a couple more weeks to see where I am at.

JPT

I am sorry to hear that your previous surgery might interfere with the lap band. :think I think the best thing to do for now is not to think the worst. Would an ultra sound or x-ray show the position of the mesh in your abdomen? Was it designed to dissolve over time? Laproscopic surgery doesn't need a LOT of space so hopefully everything will work out. Believe it will, until it does! Good luck!

Don't know about the disolving of the mesh, the operation was June 05 and Dr Spivak acted as it would be a problem if it were to have been placed in the wrong area for this procedure.

Keeping faith that I will retrieve the old information and that it will work for me, if not I am sure God has a plan and it would be for me to get off my butt and do it the old fashioned way if I want it bad enough.

Will post as I hear.

So upset!!!!:think

Went for my seminar and dr visit with Dr. Spivak today. Was so upbeat and after the seminar and all the talk with past bandeee's and stuff.

The time came to get to have the one on one with Dr.Spivak.

I had a major surgery on my stomach in 1995 which included the using a a mesh on my diaphram, depending on where this mesh was put may keep me from being a band canidate.

The surgeon from 95 has since retired, so I have to see if I can get the operative records to find out just what all they did.

I could have cried a river, if not for the support of my husband.

I start checking Monday to see if those records from 12 years ago are available. But as he said this may just be a true test of just how bad I want this.

We discussed by-pass but it would possiblly have to be an open surgery.

Anyone that has done that knows that is the very last option I want to entertain.

As for as Dr. Spivak and his office staff, they were the best. I would have never dreamed of them being so personal and one on one.

And I do appreciate that he did not just take my previous history and not pay attention to it, could have been devasting to expect a simple lap band and then have to have closed with nothing have happend after spending the out of pocket money ourselves as this is not being covered by insurance.

I have been fat for 15 years, I can be patient to wait a couple more weeks to see where I am at.

JPT

JPT,

I hope you don't mind. I'm just throwing out ideas that may help avoid having to have the bypass, an open procedure or both. Here's what came to mind when I read your post:

If you can't get the surgery records ask if some type of barium swallow test or possibly an endoscope be done to determine the location of the mesh? Of course, I'm assuming the scar tissue from the repair would be evident with one of those methods.

Also, if you have to resort to an open procedure, have you considered the Vertical Gastrectomy (VG). The VG is also referred to as the Vertical Sleeve or the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. It's where a vertical portion of the stomach is entirely removed, but no intestinal rerouting is done. Here's a link for further info:(http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/cmsID,8874/mode,content/a,cms/).

If I ever have to have my band removed, the VG would be my Plan B.

Thanks Randi,:straight I think he is trying to save me from having anymore out of pocket money haveing these other test. If I can come up with the records of 12 years ago that is best case scenerio.:clap2:

I did have an upper endoscopy done in 2005 I know they film those also so maybe I could get those records if required.

Jut have to wait for Monday before I can do anything.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I really did not want to do anything as radical as the VG, but will see where this takes us.:scared:

JPT

Read about your problem. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad also that this information came out in the open before you tried to have it done and you woke up empty handed. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Randi,:straight I think he is trying to save me from having anymore out of pocket money haveing these other test. If I can come up with the records of 12 years ago that is best case scenerio.:clap2:

I did have an upper endoscopy done in 2005 I know they film those also so maybe I could get those records if required.

Jut have to wait for Monday before I can do anything.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I really did not want to do anything as radical as the VG, but will see where this takes us.:confused:

JPT,

I understand not wanting to have anything cut or rerouted. That is one of the many reasons I chose the lapband. So, I just keep you in prayer hoping that the everything works out in your favor. Keep us posted.

My experience with Spivak was that he's nice, kind, informative, and interested. But I haven't seen him since before they knocked me out for surgery. So in terms of after care, there ain't none directly by him. It's through the SurgiCenter.

Absolutely not true for me . . .

I have only seen Dr. Spivak for care after he did my surgery and just as before the surgery, he made me feel like he had all the time in the world to answer my questions, and he did my first fill last week in his office. I don't think there could not be a nicer, more interested doctor . . . I think if you tell them when you call to make your appointment that you want to see him, you will.

Yep. I see that my post implied that he is uncaring, and that is not the case. I also believe if I requested him, he would do my fills. I think, though that the Surgicenter plays a big role in this...Spivak as surgeon and Surgicenter as follow up. Before I had the surgery, I checked ourt Spivak alot, but not the Surgicenter. As it turns out, I've been happy with both.

I agree the Surgicenter plays a big role for Dr. Spivak. I have been happy with their care and have had no complications, so I do not request to see the Dr.

It's here. I was coming from my kids school and I saw the mailman at the end of our cul-d-sac. I didn't even pull my car all the way in the garage. I messed around in the garage until he got to my box...I stalked him as he put my mail in and drove to the stop sign...then I pounced on that mailbox like it was my last meal. There it was UHC and my name..ignoring all other mail I opened it - You are approved. Thank you - THANK YOU MAILMAN!!! Then I called the Dr. office (wanting to fax this to them - don't want to waste anymore time), however; I got the answering service. Oh well - I will make a copy and carry it around in my car - I'm almost banded!!!!

Did anybody go to the first Spivak support group meeting last night? I went begrudgingly and was pleasantly surprised. I got alot of good information and enjoyed myself. I think the man wants us to be ultra healthy party animals! He's having a Christmas party...sponsoring us in the Komen walk/run, and offering belly dancing, along with the usual educational stuff. I had heard that Speigel was making rule changes and wanting all fills done by him, slight unfills within 3 days or he'll completely unfill, etc. etc....so I asked about that for Spivak, and he's not changing anything. I'm so glad.

Do both only do surgery in Houston?

As far as I know Spivak only does surgery in Houston. I have no idea of what Spiegel does.