Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ive come so far down to my last few dr. appointments and im getting scared and having doubts my husband still doesnt and never has supported my decision and now im thinking maybe i am taking the easy way out im 27 years youbg with diabetes and high blood pressure weighing in at 280 pounds i have been fat my whole life and just need a jumpstart to a new healthier me but with no support i start to doubt myself :(

My weight is around the same my surgery is not till October but I myself am scarred and sometimes feel that I should and should not do it

I knew I'd get no support from my husband so I didn't even bother to tell him until my surgery was scheduled. He tried to talk me out of it for TWO hours. But no one knows me and how I've struggled to control my weight like I do. The next morning he said he realized I didn't tell him to discuss it, but to notify him. LOL He's catching on. Then he joined me on the pre op diet and has since lost 20 pounds on his own. Do the right thing for you and others will follow!

Hmmm, my thoughts exactly... I don't have anyone trying to talk me out of it, but indifference from those you rely on for support can be just as detramental.

It is scary and I have some doubts every once in a while - but I know I've tried over & over to lose weight and can never keep it off and I've never been able to lose enough to get down to a healthy weight.

You're doing this for your health. That's what I have to keep in mind (and then I think about all the cute clothes I'll be able to wear when I get to a healthy weight!!). :D

You are doing this for you health. That is what is important. This is about "you" if other can't understand it is best to not involve them. I know that can be hard considering that person is your husband. Ask him does he want you to be unhealthy and why. I doubt you get an answer for that question.

I'm a 34yr old that always struggle with weight! I was nervous also loved to eat had high blood pressure and cholesterol. It's normal to be nervous..my daughter and I love to eat out and when I say eat out I mean dine out and spend $30-50 on food/drinks..I'm the reason my child is obese and my decision had everything to do with her. I didn't want her to feel like she was being cheated . She is 14 yrs old and she gave me the ok damn near beg me to go forth with it. She said momma now you have to exercise with me no excuses now. She always wanted to do some form of exercise but I wasnt a good support for her because I was tired and lazy! 2 weeks out 27lbs down we walk every day and she is my biggest cheerleader. Oh how I love my sweet child. I have to say I did this for her, she lost her dad @6 months and I refuse to let her be without her mom becuz of my poor habits! If I can u can I'm the biggest procrastinator and I had my surg quick! I was talkin about it in April and was sleeved July 26, 2012! The sleeve is the little kick in the but i needed! Oh BTW my biggest fear was loose skin but my psych, nut, and surgeon both told me due to my age and race elasticity is something I shouldn't worry about. I have witness a 50yr old women w/a bypass (my pastor wife) never had any plastic surgeon and looks great! No sagging skin and she was 280lbs and now 160 and she can wear a bikini and she had 2 c sections and all she did was walk! Her advise to me drink plenty of Water and protein!

Ive come so far down to my last few dr. appointments and im getting scared and having doubts my husband still doesnt and never has supported my decision and now im thinking maybe i am taking the easy way out im 27 years youbg with diabetes and high blood pressure weighing in at 280 pounds i have been fat my whole life and just need a jumpstart to a new healthier me but with no support i start to doubt myself :(

It is in know way the easy way out u still have to work hard at changing the way u eat and excercise has to be incorporated its a tool not a fix all or easy way out. I'm sad to hear u have no support but you will find plenty support on here and it seem like the surgery will benefit u health wise a lot. I'll keep u in prayer and hope u make the right decision for u.

I fully understand your feelings of doubt. I had it right up the day before sugery. I did not discuss it with anybody except wife and even she waffled back on forth on my decision but she supported and is being strong for me. She also knows that it is my body and my choice and she respected that. Regardless of it being our choice we do need to factor in our spouses thoughts we love our spouse and want to stay together forever. So I had my surgery alone in Mexico today August 10. As I lay in bed recovering I am very happy(drugs :) with my decision and she is happy for me. We used Skype several times today. It is your decision and just be patient with yourself . I was very nervous all the way up until they put me under anesthesia . No regrets now 12 hrs later.

I knew I'd get no support from my husband so I didn't even bother to tell him until my surgery was scheduled. He tried to talk me out of it for TWO hours. But no one knows me and how I've struggled to control my weight like I do. The next morning he said he realized I didn't tell him to discuss it, but to notify him. LOL He's catching on. Then he joined me on the pre op diet and has since lost 20 pounds on his own. Do the right thing for you and others will follow!

This is very true. A friend of mine is a little over a year out and has lost a lot of weight. His wife was supportive according to him. She was a little chunky at the time too. She is truly built kinda big, very hippy and just kinda thick. You know what I mean, do not mean that to sounds mean. Since his surgery, she has started eating better and in turn lost about 40 pounds and you can tell. Like he told me, I am a leader and she is a follower. He meant that is a positive way in that when things changes for him she saw and followed suit. I have been really watching my diet as well and have lost over twenty pounds. My girlfriend has kinda got on with me as well so I think that it just goes hand in hand that if you are doing the right thing that those around you will see and be a lot more apt to do it as well.

Please don't let other people stop from doing from doing what is best for you, your husband included . Often times people want us to do with seems to be best for them and what they think. I have diabetes borderline high blood pressure and I've been fat for most of my life. Even though eating is easy gaining weight, seeing it on your body and not being able to take it off that easily is very hard . Surgery isn't easy either. I'm sorry your husband is not supporting you but there are people here on this site that will be some of your greatest supporters and biggest fans for making a great life choice .

Hi my name is Rachel and I am only 24 and I also have diabetes and high blood pressure. This is the reason I am getting the surgery. We are young and deserve to live without these ailments and to prevent long term side effects get it and be happy don't let someone hold you back!

I feel the same way im 27 yo as well. My husband doubted this procedure and now he just want me to be happy and healthy. Im terrified still but i know if i dont do something, i will have health problems besides obesity.....best of luck to you!

I believe presented in a different manner you husband may come around. Because this is major surgery, he may have some apprehensions as to the outcome. Try to broach the conversation differently, if you can by asking open ended questions. Explain that this is the better choice for a long, healthy, happy life with him included. Ensure him that the physical benefit will be for the both of you. The health aspect will be yours.

It may be an ego thing...it might not be. Only you will know as you know him best.

As for support, this site and a few others do have those who will get you through, but it's nothing like the support of your mate. Let him know you really want this and you will be more at ease if you have his support.