Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grocery Store Melt Down..

So today was the first time I dared to go into a grocery store since my surgery on the 30th. Was trying to get my fridge ready for some mushies as suggested by my NUT. Have my post op one week follow up on Tuesday and will be released to do "some" mushies so thought I would be pro active since my mom is in town helping take care of me. Needless to say, got through most of the store fine until the freezer isle...then out of no where I started crying. So hard to be on all liquid and travel down these isles knowing most of them I would never consume again. Grocery store shopping is like skinny ppls shopping for clothes, its been one aspect of this food addiction for forever.. Has anyone else faced something like this?

Yes Yes Yes!! I am 12 weeks out and STILL struggle at times. I literally felt like I have mourned the lost of my very best friend. Eventually you will be able to have most anything, but odds are, you won't want to once that weight starts falling off and you start feeling like a million bucks. The liquid stage is the toughest, and once you start adding foods, you won't feel so restricted. Hang in there!!!

I was very emotional at that point post op, I'm still emotional as a matter of fact.

I think your melt down was normal. You will feel better once you're loosing weight and feeling great. And remember, you will be able eat anything you want further down the road, just not much of it.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the support,felt like such a failure trying to work out the emotional attachment to the foods I've obviously gotten obese with. You're right, its like a break up...

OMG in 6 mo. you can eat many of these things. This morning I had Breakfast with my sister and I had the special egg, bacon and pancakes I ate the egg one bacon and a few bites of pancake with sugar free Syrup. This is not a typical breakfast for me but once in a while I can induge if I want. The amazing thing is I eat a little I am satisfied and 8 mo. ago I would have eaten everything probably a larger portion choice! This is not a diet we are on it's a new way of thinking, feeling, and yes we become more conscious of what we need to put in body Protein, veg, then carb.but once in a while we can indulge just a little! Good luck!

I'm not really bothered by the grocery store, or "loss" of food at all. For me,other than a really juicy cheeseburger,and Lays Original chips, I don't miss eating the way I used to. We had a big party here last weekend, and there was a a bag of Lays left, hubby opened it, ate some, and surprisingly, it didn't bother me! That bag is still here, I look at it, but never thought to open it, and eat one....or the bag.

Perhaps someone else can do the shopping for a while, until you feel emotionally stronger. I go to a smaller market, more a produce place,to buy fruit and meat. But, I have no small children, so it might be easier for me to NOT go to the grocery store. Hubby is home late most evenings,so I cook as little as possible!

You want to hear pathetic? I was cleaning out a few storage areas in my kitchen today and found a box of fancy crackers I was given as a gift but forgot about. I opened the box and smelled the crackers and was so upset I hadn't realized and ate them earlier. I licked the garlic cheesy goodness off of like ten of them while standing at the trash can. Lick, toss, lick, toss, lick, toss. At one point I bit one and spit it out. Yeah, sometimes it's hard.

Oh well, off to puree some refried Beans and put some cheese and sour cream on it. (Which actually is delicious)!

I have had about 3 pity parties (including a supermarket one) but mostly I'm cool and accepting.

We'll be okay, alright? :)

Awwwww group hug for everyone. I actually love going to the grocery store because all of the money I save. I am learning to cook small, small portions because it's just me and my teen daughter. Every now and then I will cook for a family of 5 and will call my God brother to come by and pick up the meal that's so food won't go to waste.

I have the grocery and food dilemma as well. I was sleeved in 6/25. I can eat pretty much anything g as long as I eat very slow and chew very well. This morning I had a scrambled egg with a little cheese. I was full until lunch I have these moments where I miss eating and enjoying a beautiful dish. My family went to IHOP the other day. I ordered a cheese omelette off the kid's menu. I had three bites of it and half a piece of toast. My son ate the rest of my meal. When I go to the grocery store I look at the gourmet deli section and I feel sad sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I feel your pain, but I can offer you some consolation. Nothing that I have tried tasted the same or very good, except one thing. I had a serious addiction to cheez its. I decided to buy some reduced fat kind. Ehhh....lol. I'm kinda mad I have a whole box. A serving is 29 crackers and it takes me all day to finish them. Today an ex came to visit said he was going to Buffalo Wild Wings and asked did I want anything. I asked for 6 naked tenders, sauce on the side. I didn't eat with him because I had eaten about an hour earlier. I finally open the box, after he left and there were FRIES in the box with the tenders. WHAT THE... I tasted one....nope. it didn't do it for me anymore. The only "treat" I enjoy are the yogurt pops by popsicle. I have/had a serious love affair with ice cream. They have calmed the beast for 90 calories. I still go to the ice cream section and gaze, survey the new flavors, reminisce... I can't bring myself to buy it though, too much going for me.

I was sleeved on 7/18 and have had 3 "meltdowns". The scale hasn't moved in a week. Today, I indulged in potato chips because I heard they go down easy. I sit here wondering if I should feel guilty. Part of me says "yes" the other part of me reminds myself that I am human and technically haven't indulged in three weeks. Siiigggghh... I think it's this black and white thinking that got me into this in the first place. I love what JD7176 said - you have to tame the beast somehow. I guess it's about doing is smartly and in moderation.

I haven't broken down in the grocery store, but I have had some challenges. Big hugs to you.

This weekend, I was hosting my daughter's baby shower. I had to go shopping for the party, and at first, I had a hard time finding something to buy because I was trying to buy Protein first. I knew I had to have more than just ham and cheese. I finally realized I needed to buy things I normally wouldn't: dips, chips, raw veggies (celery!) and cupcakes and crackers.

On the day of the actual party, I didn't eat what I shouldn't eat, but I was encouraging everyone to eat it all up, so I didn't have leftovers. I sent the crackers home with a guest.

My first trip to the store hurt my checkbook! I was shopping for "soft foods" and bought crab. lobster bisque, gournet cheeses, 3 types of fish, Fage yogurt..... it was insane! Keep in my mind, I still cook for a family of five...and 3 and half weeks later, I STILL have foods from that trip!! I didn't "mourn" - I was excited to see all the wonderful stuff I COULD eat :)

I have a different struggle now when food shopping I don't want anything. I tend to find myself buying more liquids, crystal light, g2, juices..etc I feel bad for my family as there is hardly anything to eat in comparison to before. You will get through this stage and onto another one I promises.

I have break downs in the grocery store all the time! Mostly, it's because we don't have dinner plans and NOTHING sounds good. Sure, i could get some crap frozen thing, or skettios, but then i won't merry my Protein goal and I'll just be hungry again shortly after eating.

I'm at a point where I can eat whatever I want (in small portions), but I often find myself overwhelmed by the abundance of unhealthy crap at the grocery store...