Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicken Breast

Does anybody have any tips for cooking chicken breast so that it stays moist. I tried putting it in the slow cooker with chicken broth and it was still dry as heck.

I've always found that if you use monster chicken breasts (like most of those sold today), it's really hard to get them to be anything but dry. I use tenderloins when I can. Otherwise, I try to find the smallest breasts I can. They're usually from younger chickens and don't turn out so dry.

Yeah I had the tenderloins today. I don't think its a good idea to buy the monster ones cuz it would take a week to eat.

chicken does go down well, and it is lower in fat than most 2 and 4 legged Protein choices, but I gotta tell you I am getting sick of chicken breasts!! Sorry, that was me going off on a tangent.

We have been grilling a good bit, but that can really dry it out. I have been using sauces from Buffalo Wild Wings. They add calories, but I eat so little and such a small amount of sauce, that I do not think it is significant. Especially if it keeps me eating the right foods.

My wife has also made chicken breasts in a Tomato sauce, or a Mexican chicken and rice, both of which are cooked in liquids, so the chicken stays a bit more moist. Or you can get barbaric and get a turkey injector and shoot some liquids into the chicken breast. Finally, baking a whole chicken usually makes for a much moister breast, because it is cooked with the skin and fat on, then just trim at the table. Or instead of using just a skinless boneless breast, get the breast fryers with the skin on and the bones still in, they will cook up more moist as well.

Good luck -

Thanks. Those are some good ideas.

I second (or third) the tenders as opposed to the breasts. If you use the crock pot I think it depends on how you prepare it afterwards. I actually have some defrosting now that I'm putting in the crock pot tomorrow. I'm going to use it in a few different recipes, which all call for sauces or salad dressings (aka moisture). I have one for buffalo chicken lettuce wraps I'm excited to try. I'm not sure how the chicken would be just by itself. Also, my coworker cooks his in chicken broth and beer. I'm not sure if the beer makes it more moist but I've tasted the BBQ pulled chicken he makes and it's pretty darn good!

I agree with many of the posts above. I have always been a chicken addict (boneless skinless breast) and chicken is still a staple item in our house.

Canned chicken- once you get over the fact that its not tuna, it really is great. The Kroger brand is VERY moist and tasty.

Pre made chicken- the already cooked frozen chicken breast that is sold frozen and pre sliced has been good and moist too. Along with the canned chicken it is still fast and less dishes to clean after. I simply place my tiny/sad portion in a pan and simmer in Water to thaw and heat up.

Parboil. For on the bone chicken, I like to cook it in a pot of boiling Water until 90% done and then simply toss on the grill for a few minutes to give it that grilled flavor. Peel the skin off before eating of course :)

To end my novel... if I am cooking in the oven I dump a can of chicken broth or some other "heart healthy" Soup in the baking dish and cover with foil.

Good luck :)

Thanks everyone. Maybe ill use the leftovers and tear it up and add BBQ Sauce.< /p>

I have been buying the rotisirre chicken from sams club. 6.00 moist & juice and it lasts me ALL week. also if is on the dry side. add some salsa or low carb BBQ Sauce to it.

Cut up the breast along with three types of Beans (black, red, pinto) a can of stewed or chopped tomatoes with spices and you can make a nice protien rich chicken chili, yummy.

I have a nu wave oven....chicken turns out fantastic

The trick with chicken breast is to cook it just till done, not a moment longer. Condiments like fat free gravy, light mayo, salsa, etc... help, plus, of course, chew, chew, chew.

Does anybody have any tips for cooking chicken breast so that it stays moist. I tried putting it in the slow cooker with chicken broth and it was still dry as heck.

If your cook a whole chicken or turkey for that matter always cook them breast down the natural juices flow into the breast and help keep them moist.

Another way which my mum does for her turkey on chirstmas or easter is stuff it with sausage meat, sausage meat chopped onion some chopped Tomato (you can add chestnuts she does 2 types with and without I don’t like with so ick) all mixed up and stuffed in side as stuffing the juice from the stuffing and the bird its self has bird very juicy and moist.

Another roast chicken I used to like to do (not cooked it since the op lol)

Stuff the inside with chopped leeks then 2 onion quarters then squeeze in honey, then repeat till you shove half an onion in the end to keep it all in.

I then salt pepper the whole outside then rub honey all over it into the skin not LOADS so it’s drenched just a light skin rub.

The chicken has a nice earthy slight sweet taste to it.

That also works really really well with goose the flavours go nice.

But yeah whole birds breast side down helps them stay nice and moist.

Today I made fantastic chicken on the grill but not sure of calorie count. I mixed 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I brushed it on the chicken and let it cook. It was so moist and tasty. I was so upset I couldn't eat more than 3 bites bc it was that good.