Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions Questions Questions !

Hello all newbe here , little background I'm already approved for RNY through high mark blue cross but I'm meeting with my surgeon aug 8 because I'm leaning toward the VGS instead I'm over a 50 bmi I know surgery is only a tool but I'm determined to make it work.has any one else been approved for RNY and changed your mind? Will the insurance deny my case because I've changed my mind ? Help please

I was not ever going to do RNY because the thought freaked me out a little, so when I read about the sleeve, I KNEW it was for me. One reason I would never have done RNY was because of all the people that I have either personally known, or seen in the media that have regained their weight because they stretched it back out.

I can't speak to any insurance matters, because I paid out of pocket, but for me...VSG was the only way to go. My BMI was 55 when I started. Maybe even 56. I think it's in the lower 40s now and still going. Good providence with your decision....

I'm completely with Dooter on this one. I too, never gave RNY a thought....too many issues.

I'd ask the insurance advocate at your surgeons office about coverage if you decide to go with the sleeve, and I'd be surprised if there was any problem. Good luck!

I looked at all the procedures before deciding. My cousin had RNY a few years ago. She has done really well, but in the beginning she really didn't look that healthy to me, even though I was happy for her. She is doing great now, but has many Vitamins she will have to take for the rest of her life. I have some too, but I am 100% certain about my sleeve.

If you are thinking of switching, give your insurance company a call. They should be able to tell you for sure whether you can switch without having to go through the entire process again, or if maybe there are just a couple steps to do. If you do call and get this information, get the person you talked to's name and the time you talked so that you can have some documentation of the conversation.

I hope that there are others on here who may have a little more insight into whether it's an easy process to switch or not. I hope that you figure out what will be best for you =) Good luck!

I am considering the sleeve surgery too. I think it is right for me. However, I am a former Lap Bander whose hardware failed.... I regained 150+ pounds and am now considering the sleeve. I'm a self-pay patient, and NOT independently wealthy, so it has taken a lot of time and soul searching to consider more surgery. I'm trying to take the final steps and schedule but I'm gun shy. I'm concerned I haven't see any unbiased clinical evaluations of the sleeve...am I not looking in the correct places?

I am a former bander too. I lost 65 lbs with band then stalled out after 6 months. At a little over a year I had dilation and edg showed my band had slipped. I revised to sleeve May 30 and am down 40 more pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had neve considered RNY before. I started out thinking I wanted a lap band; when they told me about the port and refills, etc, I started researching the sleeve. I am happy with my decision.