Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I leave in two weeks, I will be in Tijuana with Dr. Kelly. So, not to be too nosy up in everyone's business, but can everyone who already went give me an estimate of what amount of "extra" money I should be bringing. We will be staying one extra day due to unavailable flights on what would have been our normal departure date .

I will be traveling with my husband(so there are two of us) He is going to want to eat that I know for sure. Did anyone feel well enough to go out and do anything while they were there? Go get a massage, go shopping in the market, anything ?

Also, I read somewhere people talking about tipping the hospital staff ? Is that correct and if so what is the standard percent ? Sounds odd I know, but I hate bad tippers and just because it is not the norm here in the states does not mean I am going to be rude if it is the standard there .

I am leaving to***ht for Dr. Kelly and was trying to find out the same thing! Hope we get some responses. I don't like visiting another country and leaving a bad taste on Americans.

Oh WOW, to***ht ! How exciting, I can hardly stand myself now i am so anxious and i still have two more weeks. Good Luck and post a lot !

I am also interested in this answer as I am scheduled for the 9th

Damanda, I won't go as far as to tell you how much to bring, that is a personal decision & is directly related to you're personal spending habits.

Yes, I was fine after I was moved to the hotel to get up and explore TJ.

One bit of advice I will give you is bring small denominations & separate it(put some in different pockets). The shop workers are very observant & they expect to negotiate over price on everything. But if you show them that you have a wad of money you instantly give them the upper hand.

Bargaining is totaly expected in Mexico. If you don't haggle, you can easily be viewed as a mark. Typically you can get whatever you are looking at for 1/4 the original asking price. I usually relent once I get to 50% this way I'm helping them out & they also don't think that I paid top price just because I feel sorry for them.

How about tipping? Driver? Hospital? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

I went shopping the day I got out of the hospital and spent maybe $70 on momentos. Other than that I spent very little as I was on Clear Liquids and had no appetite what so ever. I did tip the hotel staff and the cab driver. I think I spent a total of about $100 on just me so plan on more for your hubbies foods.

Tipping is not as customary in Mexico as it is here. They will appreciate whatever you are willing to give. And it will improve your expierience.

It is viewed as a gesture of appreciation rather than simply expected as it is here. You will find people in Mexico will go the extra mile for you regardless.

Thank you.

I was in florence Hosp for my surgery with Dr Kelly and I did not tip anyone in there. I didn't even think of it to be honest and had never seen anyone mention it. It is a real hosp, I was next door to someone receiving cancer treatment, and many others on the floor were there for issues unrelated to wls. I don't think tipping them is customary. I spent about $180 at Rays jewelry in the Revolution. It was all so beautiful! I tipped the driver $15 each way, hotel staff $2 or $3 depending on the situation.

Thanks all for the advice. Stand by I am sure I will have a dozen more questions before I leave. Inquiring minds want to know! :ph34r:

We went to the beach the day I was released from the hospital. The hotel lined up an honest, reputable cab driver to take us there. When he dropped us off we asked him to meet us back in two hours to give us a ride back to the hotel. The beach was called Rosarito Beach and it was beautiful! About a 30 minute drive from Tijuana and he charged $25 each way. It was well worth it. There is shopping over there too!

Thanks for asking this because I was wondering the same thing. My surgery date with Dr. Kelly is 2 weeks from today and trying to get all the little stuff figured out.

I am also interested in this answer as I am scheduled for the 9th

Hi Sky. Maybe I will see you there. My surgery is scheduled for the 10th. I will arrive on the 9th. We should meet.