Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

I had my sleeve done Feb 12th 2013. I've lost 100 lbs. Never been happier with a major decision! Hubby will be sleeved Jan 2nd. 3 more semester's of clinicals and I'll have my NP.

Congrats on your amazing weight loss. I was sleeved on 11/25. I start NP school in January. Best wishes to you.

Hi fellow nurses! I'm 24 and I started out as a CNA when I was 19. At 21, I started nursing school, and became a LPN at 22. I worked in corrections for a year while I finished my BSN.I graduated in June `13 and passed nclex in August. I'm going to start a new position soon, and I'm still in the process of figuring out what surgeon to choose and things like that. I really really REALLY want to have this surgery this year, but I'm not sure how feasible it will be to take time off since I will be the new person on the unit. I know the other nurses with more seniority will have preference in getting vacation time, and I'm not sure how long to request time off. Ugh, so much to think about :(

<p><span style="font-size:14px;">Hi fellow nurses! I'm 24 and I started out as a CNA when I was 19. At 21, I started nursing school, and became a LPN at 22. I worked in corrections for a year while I finished my BSN.I graduated in June `13 and passed nclex in August. I'm going to start a new position soon, and I'm still in the process of figuring out what surgeon to choose and things like that. I really really REALLY want to have this surgery this year, but I'm not sure how feasible it will be to take time off since I will be the new person on the unit. I know the other nurses with more seniority will have preference in getting vacation time, and I'm not sure how long to request time off. Ugh, so much to think about :( </span></p>

Hi Kim,

Congrats on passing boards. First thing, the process itself is pretty timely. Most insurance companies require 6 months of dietician visits at least. Then you have to have other necessary appts and get insurance approval. It may take several months before you can have surgery. Now- Getting the time off may be hard as well. Even several months down the line you will need to have worked at least 1 year or so to get fmla. Your manager may allow you to just take a leave - some doctors want you to take 4-6 weeks off but there are those that return a lot sooner. And if you take a leave, it may be unpaid and since you just started you may not have earned any time. It's crazy but worth it. Just wanted to let you know what you may encounter along the way. Good luck to ya! :-)

<p><span style="font-size:14px;">Hi fellow nurses! I'm 24 and I started out as a CNA when I was 19. At 21, I started nursing school, and became a LPN at 22. I worked in corrections for a year while I finished my BSN.I graduated in June `13 and passed nclex in August. I'm going to start a new position soon, and I'm still in the process of figuring out what surgeon to choose and things like that. I really really REALLY want to have this surgery this year, but I'm not sure how feasible it will be to take time off since I will be the new person on the unit. I know the other nurses with more seniority will have preference in getting vacation time, and I'm not sure how long to request time off. Ugh, so much to think about :( </span></p>

Hi Kim,

Congrats on passing boards. First thing, the process itself is pretty timely. Most insurance companies require 6 months of dietician visits at least. Then you have to have other necessary appts and get insurance approval. It may take several months before you can have surgery. Now- Getting the time off may be hard as well. Even several months down the line you will need to have worked at least 1 year or so to get fmla. Your manager may allow you to just take a leave - some doctors want you to take 4-6 weeks off but there are those that return a lot sooner. And if you take a leave, it may be unpaid and since you just started you may not have earned any time. It's crazy but worth it. Just wanted to let you know what you may encounter along the way. Good luck to ya! :-)

Thanks! If I could get unpaid leave I would not mind at all. I guess I will just have to wait & see how things progress throughout the year.

Hey there. I'm a nurse manager. What happens when a nurse has surgery (at least at my hospital) when they don't qualify for FMLA is, they get an approved medical leave (usually no more than 30 days, or 6 weeks). If you have PTO, you have to use it, but even if you run out, your position is protected. You'd be in a bind if you had complications, possibly, although HR has extended leaves when the person is expected to come back relatively quickly. But it seems like most people are out only a few weeks. I won't let a nurse work on lifting restrictions unless they are 30 pounds or more because the natural inclination is to overdo. Might want to find out ahead what your surgeon would expect.

Haven't been on here in awhile! I have had the craziest, most stressful and rewarding three months of my life. With this came a huge stall.... No gain, but no loss. Frustrating but I have no one to blame but myself. I finished up my Capstone in December, and had my pinning early December. Around that same time my grandmother, I was her full time caregiver, was admitted into Hospice. While waiting for my Authorization to Test from my state boards and studying for my boards I was watching my grandmother slowly dwindle away into a person I didn't know. I finally scheduled my boards for 2/13, the week before my test my grandma had the worst week ever, I found myself crying on the floor next to her bed one night begging her to stay in bed and go to sleep, the last week of her life was constant, constant yelling for help, constantly awake except for short naps, I was exhausted, I was snappy, I was not remotely trying to do what I needed to be doing. On 2/8 a Hospice nurse came out after she had been awake for 20 hours and yelled the whole time, while being given Morphine and Haldol and nothing would help her calm down, they decided to admit her for medication stabilization, we anticipated her coming home after a few days. At 6am on 2/9 a hospice nurse called us (8 hours after her admission) and told us we needed to come say our goodbyes. I lost my grandmother at 2/9 at 1400, my dad was at her side, we all had the opportunity to say our goodbyes. Her loss has left a complete void in my life, I rescheduled my test for 2/22 and after taking the week of my grandmothers death off from studying, I hit the books hard. The Thursday before my test I had an interview for a local Hospital in their medical unit, it was a great interview, they just wanted me to let them know if I passed my test. I took my test last Saturday and walked out over the moon, I knew I had passed, I had no doubt in my mind. I received my notification of passing on Monday, notified my interviewer Monday evening and was offered a position yesterday. Talk about a crazy whirlwind week! I am ready to be back on track, I start my position in 2 weeks and I want to be comfortable in scrubs! I dusted off my, My Fitness Pal app, and pulled out my blender, started the day with a fruity Protein drink.

Congratulations on passing your boards! And I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved grandmother. You HAVE had a stressful time! Congratulations on not gaining any weight through all that! And be kind to yourself as you get back to the Losers' bench. Best wishes from another nurse (I passed my boards in 1973 :blink: ).

Hang in there Macy. I look back at how crazy nursing school was and wonder how I made it. Cheers to you for getting back on track. Go get 'em and welcome to the crazy but wonderful world of nursing!

Haven't been on here in awhile! I have had the craziest, most stressful and rewarding three months of my life. With this came a huge stall.... No gain, but no loss. Frustrating but I have no one to blame but myself. I finished up my Capstone in December, and had my pinning early December. Around that same time my grandmother, I was her full time caregiver, was admitted into Hospice. While waiting for my Authorization to Test from my state boards and studying for my boards I was watching my grandmother slowly dwindle away into a person I didn't know. I finally scheduled my boards for 2/13, the week before my test my grandma had the worst week ever, I found myself crying on the floor next to her bed one night begging her to stay in bed and go to sleep, the last week of her life was constant, constant yelling for help, constantly awake except for short naps, I was exhausted, I was snappy, I was not remotely trying to do what I needed to be doing. On 2/8 a Hospice nurse came out after she had been awake for 20 hours and yelled the whole time, while being given Morphine and Haldol and nothing would help her calm down, they decided to admit her for medication stabilization, we anticipated her coming home after a few days. At 6am on 2/9 a hospice nurse called us (8 hours after her admission) and told us we needed to come say our goodbyes. I lost my grandmother at 2/9 at 1400, my dad was at her side, we all had the opportunity to say our goodbyes. Her loss has left a complete void in my life, I rescheduled my test for 2/22 and after taking the week of my grandmothers death off from studying, I hit the books hard. The Thursday before my test I had an interview for a local Hospital in their medical unit, it was a great interview, they just wanted me to let them know if I passed my test. I took my test last Saturday and walked out over the moon, I knew I had passed, I had no doubt in my mind. I received my notification of passing on Monday, notified my interviewer Monday evening and was offered a position yesterday. Talk about a crazy whirlwind week! I am ready to be back on track, I start my position in 2 weeks and I want to be comfortable in scrubs! I dusted off my, My Fitness Pal app, and pulled out my blender, started the day with a fruity Protein drink.

Macy, so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. I've been a hospice nurse, and your story sounds like many I've known. I'm so impressed with the gift you gave your grandmother. Not everyone has the strength to do what you've done.

Now it's time to take care of you! Congrats on your boards and your new found resolution. You can and will do this - you've just proven your strength! Wishing you wonderful success in your new career!

Thank God! I've been looking for a group of nurses to join! :)

I am an RN in a Level III NICU. It is both stressful and rewarding.

The 12.5-hour shifts can be GRUELLING, and I'm very concerned about how long I should take off of work after my surgery. As it is, I'm just plain exhausted at the end of my shift. Another worry: we are not allowed to have ANY drinks (even water) with us, they have to stay at the clerk's desk as we can't leave the room to sip on them unless there is another RN in the room, so I'm very concerned about dehydration and stamina afterwards.

I'm having sleeve surgery done at the end of April with Dr. Keith Boone in Fresno.

{{{hugs}}} to all my fellow nurses!

Ssshhh. That's illegal. Do the managers know this? I got so PO'd I went to the Board. Managers now verbalize understanding.Nuff said.

It's policy for the NICU. Bringing in any foods OR drinks is considered an "infection control" issue for our babies. :(

I really fail to see how my bottle of Aquafina is a threat to my patients.

HI

I have been an RN for 27 years, mostly pediatrics anywhere from ED trauma to home care/chronic care. I am currently working in an outpatient pediatric subspecialty clinic setting. Many days lunch and breaks are just an idea. I am hoping to have surgery the end of April early May. Just now reconsidering sleeve instead of bypass as planned. I have never been good at taking pills and have concerns about the effects of malabsorption. What made you decide to have the type of surgery? I am concerned that maybe I am just second guessing my decision but don't want to make the wrong decision. I have no co-morbidities and exercise regularly at least 3 times per week but have BMI of 45. I would appreciate educated suggestions and am happy to have found this forum of nurses who understand.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheri

I had gastric sleeve surgery 11 months ago. I lost 80 lbs and I am at goal. I don't regret it one but. I didn't want the malabsorption problems because I don't always take my Vitamins. Also, at this point I do treat myself to a little cake it sweet things and I don't have to worry about "dumping"