Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Misunderstanding Foods Post-Surgery

Maybe it's just that doctors do things differently but I thought after surgery sleevers were suppose to be high protein/low carbs. Elminate flours, sugars, etc. Eat Protein first, veggies last.

I was looking up Soup recipes and there are so many requiring flour. Looking further people are having noodles, rice, pototates, etc.

Am I misunderstanding something?

No, you aren't. Noodles, rice, potatoes, sugar added foods, etc. are not on the diet. Some people go totally with the diet, others "cheat" once in a while, and some get caught up into the "cheating". It all depends on how much and how fast you want to lose and whether or not you want to stay at your goal weight.

Well the above certainly has some truth to it it's not the complete picture. There is SOME difference between carb calories and Protein calories but for the most part calories are calories.

I did not totally eliminate carbs from my diet and have lost 170 pounds in 10 months and kept it off. I eat very few carbs but still some.

The Protein first is touted because it is the most densely packed calories you can get it. The protein adsorbs slower and lasts longer than carbs and benefits you longer than carbs. So while the "protein first" mantra is good to follow it does not totally eliminate carbs.

Carbs are like highly flammable fuel, it burns fast, drives your blood sugar up and gets used fast, what's not used gets stored in the fat stores, they're cheap too. Protein is expensive, burns slower, leaves the sugar more stabilized and makes you feel fuller longer - everything that we want in the post-op diet. We need some carbs for immediate energy and protein to build and keep muscle mass.

All things in moderation, a few carbs don't hurt. Start munching down exclusively on bread, Pasta and other high carb stuff and YES you will have trouble losing and may actually gain.

My experience has been that the doctor greatly restricts your carbs in the beginning to do a bit of a "cleanse" for your liver, pancreas, and other organs -- it will allow for a greater amount of weight loss in a short amount of time. Also, Protein is best for you while you're recovering from surgery and resetting your relationship with food: To learn how to get fuller on denser, nutritious foods and not carbs. But in the long run, this would be hard for most to sustain, though not impossible. For instance, I had a very unhealthy relationship with carbs prior to surgery sometimes having them make up a majority of my meals.

As Rootman explained so well about how carbs are burned and stored, this was bad for my weight. Now, I have a very healthy relationship with carbs. I still keep them to a minimum compared to my intake of Protein, and I choose healthier carbs in fruits and vegetables and still limit the refined carbs. But I allow myself the occasional taste of Pasta noodles, so long as I have my protein and veggies as priority. And it's nowhere near the amount I used to eat. Now, it's a treat rather than a meal. We only go out for sushi every 2-3 weeks or so, but I'll allow myself 1-2 pieces of a roll, perhaps taking off some of the excess rice before. Again, I used to be able to put down 8+ pieces, plus tempura, etc. so this is much better for me.

Yes, the months 0-4 you are really focused on low carbs. But the further out you are, the more it's about eating normally, in moderation and with balance in mind. Also, the more active I've become in physical training and other sports, the more you do need some of the healthy carbs in your diet. But this does not mean I "carbo load" prior to an event, I still monitor, measure and weigh to know that I'm keeping to a certain limit.

My experience has been that the doctor greatly restricts your carbs in the beginning to do a bit of a "cleanse" for your liver, pancreas, and other organs -- it will allow for a greater amount of weight loss in a short amount of time. Also, Protein is best for you while you're recovering from surgery and resetting your relationship with food: To learn how to get fuller on denser, nutritious foods and not carbs. But in the long run, this would be hard for most to sustain, though not impossible. For instance, I had a very unhealthy relationship with carbs prior to surgery sometimes having them make up a majority of my meals.

As Rootman explained so well about how carbs are burned and stored, this was bad for my weight. Now, I have a very healthy relationship with carbs. I still keep them to a minimum compared to my intake of Protein, and I choose healthier carbs in fruits and vegetables and still limit the refined carbs. But I allow myself the occasional taste of Pasta noodles, so long as I have my protein and veggies as priority. And it's nowhere near the amount I used to eat. Now, it's a treat rather than a meal. We only go out for sushi every 2-3 weeks or so, but I'll allow myself 1-2 pieces of a roll, perhaps taking off some of the excess rice before. Again, I used to be able to put down 8+ pieces, plus tempura, etc. so this is much better for me.

Yes, the months 0-4 you are really focused on low carbs. But the further out you are, the more it's about eating normally, in moderation and with balance in mind. Also, the more active I've become in physical training and other sports, the more you do need some of the healthy carbs in your diet. But this does not mean I "carbo load" prior to an event, I still monitor, measure and weigh to know that I'm keeping to a certain limit.

That sounds reasonable for you and probably for many sleevers, maybe even me when I get to that point. The problem is that, for many people with weight problems, and that includes everyone on this board, in our former lives it has been "give me permission for a little and I'll take a lot." That's how we got here. That's why, when we lost weight, we gained it back. That's the cycle we need to break. It seems as though you have done that and are able to keep your carbs to what the diet allows. Shape shifter is right "Elminate flours, sugars, etc. Eat protein first, veggies last." If a person can avoid flours, sugars, etc. and keep healthy carb eating to a reasonable amount, they should go for it. If eating a reasonable amount of carbs (myself included in this) leads to eating an unreasonable amount of carbs, they should be avoided like the plague. That is my philosophy. As was pointed out to me in an earlier thread, I may feel and act differently as time goes on.

Well the above certainly has some truth to it it's not the complete picture. There is SOME difference between carb calories and Protein calories but for the most part calories are calories.

I did not totally eliminate carbs from my diet and have lost 170 pounds in 10 months and kept it off. I eat very few carbs but still some.

The Protein first is touted because it is the most densely packed calories you can get it. The protein adsorbs slower and lasts longer than carbs and benefits you longer than carbs. So while the "protein first" mantra is good to follow it does not totally eliminate carbs.

Carbs are like highly flammable fuel, it burns fast, drives your blood sugar up and gets used fast, what's not used gets stored in the fat stores, they're cheap too. Protein is expensive, burns slower, leaves the sugar more stabilized and makes you feel fuller longer - everything that we want in the post-op diet. We need some carbs for immediate energy and protein to build and keep muscle mass.

All things in moderation, a few carbs don't hurt. Start munching down exclusively on bread, Pasta and other high carb stuff and YES you will have trouble losing and may actually gain.

This is well said. I never actually counted anything, but cut out most of the white stuff the majority of the time. I do always eat my protein and veggies first. Then if I have room, I might eat a bite or 2 of rice if that is the side dish. The carbs in fruits and veggies are complex carbs and our bodies process then differently than refined sugar and refined flour. I am also a firm believer in moderation. That being said, if you are a carb-o-holic and cannot stop at a bite or 2, you would be better off cutting them out completely. As you get further and further out, you being to really learn how you and your body handle different foods. Some people, once they start, they can't stop. If you are like that, then you need to be extra vigilant. I am almost 2 years post op, below my goal and eat healthy. But I can also allow myself the Pasta if we are out for supper, or the half a piece of garlic toast, or the few bites of cheesecake and I can enjoy it and walk away. Take this time to learn your body and what will work for you.

Thank you everyone. I'm definately a meat lover but once i start eating something I like (pizza, chips, brownies, etc.) I don't seem to have a brain. So I'm probably one who should plan on not having them anymore.

When the time is right, you can adapt some of the flavors you crave into healthier weight loss friendly recipes. For pizza flavor and a crispy crunch I've heard pepperoni slices nuked in the microwave or baked in the oven gives a crisp treat, if you top it with a little marinara and cheese, voila! pizza flavor...if you crave lasagna...try the ricotta bake which I make with meat sauce in the bottom of a ramekin, topped with ricotta cheese (mixed with an egg and parm) then more sauce and finally motzarella cheese and parmesan, and bake it in the oven at 375 until bubbly and browned on top (like 15-20 min)...

For the taste of a brownie, I enjoy Protein bars but I limit the calories to 150 per serving and at least 10 grams of Protein, I love the Atkins bars (low carb) or the Power Crunch bars.

As for chips, once in awhile I do have some tortilla chips with some salsa or ceviche. It's a whole grain. I only allow myself a few on occasion.

Mostly I focus on high protein items, but once in awhile I allow myself a treat. Then I get on with it, I no longer feel deprived! I know some people can't stop once they get started but thankfully I am not overindulging, I get full so fast I don't want to over eat...I hate that discomfort...and I do track my calories/carbs/protein/fluids, etc.

Thank you everyone. I'm definately a meat lover but once i start eating something I like (pizza, chips, brownies, etc.) I don't seem to have a brain. So I'm probably one who should plan on not having them anymore.

You are like me and the strict diet is my hope for the new life the sleeve offers.

I am six days post op and doing full liquids. On my list of "recommended foods" are things like SF pudding, cream of wheat or malt o'meal, SF yogurt, and split pea Soup to name a few. But these seem pretty high carb to me, granted I eat very little, but I am having a really hard time getting my Protein in. Is it really ok and beneficial to consume these things, or should I just stick to Protein Drinks and fluids at this time? I am so worried I will mess this great opportunity up. I am definitely some one who can loose control with carbs, and have increased hunger when I eat them!

I am six days post op and doing full liquids. On my list of "recommended foods" are things like SF pudding' date=' cream of wheat or malt o'meal, SF yogurt, and split pea Soup to name a few. But these seem pretty high carb to me, granted I eat very little, but I am having a really hard time getting my Protein in. Is it really ok and beneficial to consume these things, or should I just stick to Protein drinks and fluids at this time? I am so worried I will mess this great opportunity up. I am definitely some one who can loose control with carbs, and have increased hunger when I eat them![/quote']

It's on your list now because there is not much you can eat. But yes, you need to be getting in your Protein before you eat malt O meal. I was eating a bowl of grits every day while on full liquids. It was on my approved list, but I was also getting in my protein with no problem. Once you start eating soft foods and full foods again, you will be concentrating on the Proteins...especially during the losing phase.

That sounds reasonable for you and probably for many sleevers' date=' maybe even me when I get to that point. The problem is that, for many people with weight problems, and that includes everyone on this board, in our former lives it has been "give me permission for a little and I'll take a lot." That's how we got here. That's why, when we lost weight, we gained it back. That's the cycle we need to break. It seems as though you have done that and are able to keep your carbs to what the diet allows. Shape shifter is right "Elminate flours, sugars, etc. Eat Protein first, veggies last." If a person can avoid flours, sugars, etc. and keep healthy carb eating to a reasonable amount, they should go for it. If eating a reasonable amount of carbs (myself included in this) leads to eating an unreasonable amount of carbs, they should be avoided like the plague. That is my philosophy. As was pointed out to me in an earlier thread, I may feel and act differently as time goes on.[/quote']

That is exactly how I feel. I want to lose this weight. The best way for me to do it is to eat right as much as possible. I don't consider myself on a diet. I'm eating healthy. I read a lot about people wanting to eat "like a normal person". I wish I could do that someday, but if I were normal I never would have weighed 400 pounds. My biology and physiology will never be normal. I will never be one of those people who can eat whatever I want and still maintain a healthy weight. I'm jealous of those people.

But on another note, I'd like to point out that there is a HUGE difference between vegetables and starches. People who don't know about the glycemic index should look it up and read all you can. High glycemic foods cause you to store fat much more easily. Low glycemic carbs give you energy throughout the day and there is nothing at all wrong with them. But in the early losing phase, the Protein not only fills you up, it also helps you maintain muscle mass, instead of losing it along with the fat.