Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was It Like The First Day After Sleeve?

woke up with some pain and the nausea was bad. the first day I didn't walk slept most of the time. the next day had trouble with the liquid pain meds (couldn't keep them down) by the afternoon I was practically sprinting around the floor. Was ready to go home that evening but stayed until the next am. At home i felt 50% better everyday. I was up and pruning rose bushes by the end of the week. Only right after the surgery did I think "What in the heck did I do"? Now I think "Look what the heck I did"!!

I'm not super comfortable with the post op pain. I had a breast reduction at 17 and when I woke up I was screaming in pain. I was at about a 15 on the pain scale. They didn't give me any pain meds til I was in my room. They gave me morphine and within an hour I realized I was not good with that. Vomiting for the rest of the night... Percocet was the only other option they gave me. So freaked about something like that happening again.

Now my ACL replacement was a walk in the park. I slowly came too by gnawing on my breathing tube then proceeded to hit on all the male nurses. I had a nerve block in my leg, so pain was minimal (relatively speaking) and they gave me a wonder drug that made everything stop hurting. I'm going to have to tell the surgeon and anasthesiologist about the expierenc so I won't be screaming in pain...

Congrats on your surgery! I felt horrible nausea and was actually throwing up air. The trapped gas was very uncomfortable. So glad u didn't have that. Good luck on your journey????

Well I made it- surgery went well but the first part of recovery was rough. It hurt to breath and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. They gave me some iv valium and brought my anxiety level way down which helped a lot. I stayed 24 hours and came home this morning. Have moderate pain but the pain meds are keeping up with it. I didn't have any nausea at all- none, zip, nada- which surprised everyone. Going back to sleep for awhile.

Glad everything went well!!!!

I was a little freaked out when I woke from surgery as I was still intubated and was not expecting it. I started gagging and panicked. As far as pain, it was manageable, but it took a few different combinations of pain meds to get me there. The worst exeperience was getting x-rays the next day. They wanted one lying down. I told the x-ray tech that I would need some help lying down, so the idiot tries to PUSH me down on the table. Luckily, there was another tech in the room that stopped her before I blew up and helped lower me to the table.

I have never experienced pain like I had when I woke up. There were some complications during surgery and they were holding off on the pain meds because my heart rate was low. I was in horrible pain when I was taken to my room--definitely a 10 or better--and didn't get on top of it for a couple of hours. I was an afternoon surgery, and they were able to get me up in a chair--even though I kept blacking out--for an hour before I slept for the night. I think they gave me every anti-nausea med made that first night because I felt so sick. Day 2 was nothing like surgery day, but still a little rough. I am on day 5 now and have little pain or nausea.

I woke up with no significant pain. The gas was annoying, but nothing I would call pain. I had no nausea. It took me a whie to pass urine, and a long time to pass gas. That was the only drama. It was really no big deal at all.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thank you for your stories.

It really helpful for us pre op people.