Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 months POST-OP and clueless!

Went in for my six week check-up following my surgery and was 20lbs lighter. After deciding I'd benefit from a fill, things got really bizarre!! :o He says lay back and push your stomach way out then proceeds to stab the needle into my port without warning or any explanation of what was going to happen. I was a little in shock as I sat up. He handed me a small cup of Water and without a word began to walk out. I said, "WAIT! What's the water for?" He said to make sure it's not too tight, and kept walking. Now keep in mind this was my first office visit since my surgery and I had NEVER had a fill before. I was still looking for the X-ray machine I thought they'd need to find my port. I was completely clueless what to expect, and in a little distress as to this process. Am I being a baby?

Since then I've only lost 5 lbs in four months with 3 more fills (with the same bed side manner as stated above). Is this normal?

And lastly, I've complained about pain at my port site when I pick up my two year old son. My doctor's response? "Don't pick him up then." Honestly, I'm worried about slippage or a hernia. When I brought this up my doctor acted like that was absurd and rushed me out. So basically, I'm confused, dis-heartened, and a little scared. :think Can anyone help???

Is there any way to change Dr.'s? I use a different Dr. for fills than did my surgery, so they do do it. I hate hearing that you were treated that way!! The Dr. we chose to do the fills, was very nice, I met with him prior to the surgery (done in Mexico for $$$ reasons!). He come in, talked to me about how I was doing with food, and control of how I ate, counselled me on how I should be eating (protein first....). Showed me the needle, explained how he would locate the port, and then how much saline he would be adding. He had to poke me several times to locate the low profile port I have, when he found it, he pushed the Fluid in, then pulled it back out to show me he WAS in the port, not just pushing it into my abdominal cavity, then put the fill back in. The 2nd fill, when he located the port (a bit easier this time) he pulled out the fluid in there, and refilled it afterwards. He has ask me about a sample meal I can eat each time, and seems to be very cautious about how he fills, and whether you need it or not. I figured this to be "normal" band Dr. behaviour. I am so sorry your Dr. has such poor bedside manner.

I have read that many need multiple fills, I have major restriction following my 2nd fill, ( I know it was just what he said it was amount wise, my DH watched it last time, he freaked on the needle!!!). I would worry too, not picking up your child is not an option!!!

Is insurance covering you?

Give us some more information!!!

Will be hoping for good things!

Kat

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with your doctor! He sounds just like mine in many ways. I was told to strip off my shirt and bra, sit on a bed and sit up straight (which apparently really meant stick out my chest). He didn't explain as he went but I knew what to expect so wasn't surprised. It took him 2 tries to find my port. I was told in advance to bring a couple bottles of Water. Once the needle was in, he inserted some Fluid and then told me to take 3 big swigs of water (really big). I swallowed that no problem so he inserted some more fluid. He chugged again and we repeated until I felt what I thought was restriction (still not sure - it's so hard to tell). He then took the needle out, swabbed me and that was it. I had to ask if it was OK to put my shirt on again. It seems abrupt but I keep telling myself that he knows what he's doing, has good results and well, I have no choice to go elsewhere :-) So please remember that you're not alone and you can do it!!!

Marie

Why did you have to take off your bra? I had all my clothes on for my fill. The Dr. just lifted my shirt up a little and put a tissue over my waistband so it wouldn't get betadine on anything. Maybe it depends on where your port is, but it sounds like you 2 have RUDE doctors!:o

Went in for my six week check-up following my surgery and was 20lbs lighter. After deciding I'd benefit from a fill, things got really bizarre!! :o He says lay back and push your stomach way out then proceeds to stab the needle into my port without warning or any explanation of what was going to happen. I was a little in shock as I sat up. He handed me a small cup of Water and without a word began to walk out. I said, "WAIT! What's the Water for?" He said to make sure it's not too tight, and kept walking. Now keep in mind this was my first office visit since my surgery and I had NEVER had a fill before. I was still looking for the X-ray machine I thought they'd need to find my port. I was completely clueless what to expect, and in a little distress as to this process. Am I being a baby?

Since then I've only lost 5 lbs in four months with 3 more fills (with the same bed side manner as stated above). Is this normal?

And lastly, I've complained about pain at my port site when I pick up my two year old son. My doctor's response? "Don't pick him up then." Honestly, I'm worried about slippage or a hernia. When I brought this up my doctor acted like that was absurd and rushed me out. So basically, I'm confused, dis-heartened, and a little scared. :think Can anyone help???

Ya, I can help you: FIND A NEW DOCTOR. TODAY!

What a jerk. It seems to me that doctors who do their own fills don't do their patients any favors. They seem to think that fills are not worth their time and give their patients the minimum of attention.

If I were you, I would find a doctor who uses a PA for fills. They generally have much better attitudes and, frankly, they're better at giving fills.

Good luck, let us know how you're doing.

My bra goes exactly over my port area. My port is in the centre of my chest, between my breasts. Definitely have to take my bra off - and then (depressingly) hold my breasts apart and up. LOL It's quite the sight. Needed a third hand to hold the Water bottle.

Marie

Why did you have to take off your bra?

Sounds like kind of a weird place to have a port, from what I've heard...and your doc sounds like a real jerk. There's no excuse for not taking time to explain a procedure to a patient the first time they are having it (except in an emergency, of course!). My surgeon does my fills and is very matter of fact about it but did take time to explain the first time. If there is anyone else to go to for fills, I'd sure do it! And I agree that not picking up a 2-year old is not an option. Sometimes you just have to. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

Emily

Wow, thank you all for your encouragement. I'll try to find a new doctor. What do you make of my lack of weight loss? In four months I've lost a total of 5lbs. I feel like I have little restriction. I can still eat a normal amount of food....for instance, if i usually ate a burger and fries....I skip the fries, remove the bun but can still comfortably eat the burger.