Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is Your --"good Go-To Food" For Protein

Ok, so what is your favorite HIGH Protein food ( low carb / low fat)

I've been leaning toward high protein but also high fat ( red meat / cheese / greek yogurt ). I know I can adjust those 3 to the lower fat versions.

But what else ?

I've never liked cottage cheese. Taste might have changed and I might try again? Suggestions on ways to eat it that are yummy?

I don't mind experimenting and learning new tastes.... so let me know what you would recommend!?

They say that failing to plan is planning to fail but that isn't always true; if I am travelling and did not pack anything I know that I can pull into a gas station and get some plain beef Jerky, it would be the rare gas station that doesn't have that! A lot of gas stations now also have pretty nice little convenience stores attached too, especially if they are truck stops. Greek yogurt and RTD Protein Drinks are pretty readily available. If on the other hand I am packing my own goodies for travel then I will make a batch of chicken salad or tuna salad and bring a bag of colorful pepper slices for scooping, a Protein Shake, and some "good" low sodium jerky.

I buy a huge bag of shrimp. I pull out 4-6 of them, soak them in Water, I take off the tail, dry them off and throw it in a small frying pan with spray butter and a little bit of diced garlic. I almost always seem to have left-over green Beans (seems to be a staple in our home. I throw a few green beans in there, and that's my go to lunch now.

Another thing I have taken to is Rotisserie chicken. It's good for a day, then you can make chicken salad with fat free or light mayo, onions and celery and cutting up peppers for scooping or bring some lettuce and make a wrap.

Deli turkey breast, the kind that is sliced to order from the whole breast (not formed, packaged stuff). Sometimes I get it sliced pretty thick. A thick slice of that with some mustard and maybe a hearty cracker or two. That keeps me going in a pinch.

I don't do fat free - full fat cheese, sometimes 2%, and milk when I have it is also 2%. I have heard that it is better to have a bit of fat than try and reduce it to much. My fat usually is never very high for daily totals anyway - eat red meat only occasionally.

I love tuna salad, and chicken salad - but eating it now that I am onto solid foods I find that it can act almost like a slider food - measuring it out is important for me.

My most filling choices are:

chicken tenderloins

eggs

cheese sticks

Bonbels

lean ground turkey

Steak

and my go to dinner that is so filling and easy that I have it for most dinners, we get the frozen ones - 3 turkey meatballs, 160 cals, 18g Protein, 3g carb, 9 fat

It was Greek yoghurt. But Since I have become lactose intolerant I am turning to eggs more and more.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I LOVE Mini Babybel cheeses from The Laughing Cow.

Hard-boiled eggs, smoked salmon, 1% milk, sliced deli turkey, and cheese are my favorite Protein sources right now.

I used to love laughing cow and cream cheese in general, in the first 6 months post-op, now (2 yrs) I can't stand the texture, it always just seems so grainy and pasty, yuck. I agree with someone earlier who said rotisserie chicken; I buy a whole one of those from the deli section, it lasts me almost a week, put it in a green salad, make chicken salad, eaten plain smeared with mustard, thrown in a Soup, chopped into a casserole, roasted chicken is a sleeve superstar!

tuna, cheese and scrambeled eggs also chili or baked Beans. I also combine them on occasion, cheesy eggs, tuna with eggs and a little mayo and tuna with cheese wedges. Good luck to you.

I agree with someone earlier who said rotisserie chicken; I buy a whole one of those from the deli section, it lasts me almost a week, put it in a green salad, make chicken salad, eaten plain smeared with mustard, thrown in a Soup, chopped into a casserole, roasted chicken is a sleeve superstar!

I like the idea of getting a chicken and then using it lots of ways! I am still pre-op but LOVE all these ideas! Thanks!