Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So If You Know, Why Don't You....

Thought about your question all night.... I have said it myself it for years.... tried crazy and healthy diets only to gain all the weight lost back and more. So at this point about a month from my surgery, I honestly have said... ""If I could do that, don't you think I would?" Add to that if there was a surgical procedure that could help an alcoholic or drug addict would I tell them to keep trying to resist without it? That is what people are doing to tell me to try to do this diet/weight loss with out the help/tool the sleeve offers.

Another thing I have done is, as I told the few I have told about my decision to get the sleeve, I have stated first, "I am not asking for your opinion or approval, I have made a decision and you are one of the few people I trust enough to tell about it....."

Actually, yes - she does have a weight problem - it is my mother!

She states she hates to see me go through this procedure to come out the other side regretting the decision and not being able to eat and enjoy life.

Hilarious, I know.... :) She just doesn't get it....

I'm also getting this from my mom, who also fights her weight but isn't as big as I am. Some of it I think is jealosy, which she does admit to, but I do believe alot of it is being worried about it. When it's all over and we are healthy and dropping the weight, they will understand more. It does hurt my feelings, especially being it's my mom and that should be the one person who supports you the most, but again, in my case anyway, it's being worried of the unknown. I suspect she will change her mind and come around after it's all said and done. Good luck to you!!!

I honestly think it's not a bad thing for us to have to think about that question--whether or not it comes from anyone "outside," WE should be thinking about that. I know I struggled about it for a couple of years--why couldn't I just do it "the hard way," "the old-fashioned way," "the disciplined way," oh, and here's my favorite, "the natural way." And this was MY inner voice, MY brain, MY question, not coming from anyone else. Why couldn't I do it? Then I realized I did do it--time and again, over and over. I could lose weight, no problem. And I did--you probably did, too! We just can't keep it off long-term.

And we're not alone. My husband showed me a scientific article (that I can't find now, of course, when I want it!) that said that only 5% of people with more than 100 pounds to lose were going to be able to lose it all with diet and exercise AND that fewer than 1% would manage to keep it off long term. Those odds are horrible. I wanted/needed to do something that I knew would work for me.

In my case, nobody said anything negative about my decision to have the surgery, but I'm from a heavy family where several folks have already had bypass, plus my husband had the sleeve a year ahead of me. I think everyone was sort of relieved, honestly, because I had gotten so big--they wanted me to be healthier. But I think every sleever is going to come across the question of "Why don't you just ___ (fill in the blank here with something that is a subtle slam about your self-discipline, poor eating habits, laziness, whatever) instead of having surgery," and we need to know for ourselves that we are making the right decision. Thinking it through will either bring more questions or it will solidify your decision. I knew I wasn't lazy or crazy--and I knew I wanted to be healthy. The sleeve was the means to an end, a great tool. I still had to obtain it and learn how to use it.

I try to appeal to logic, so I would probably say something like, "Have you ever tried living off a half a hamburger?" If anyone can answer yes, they're lying or they're 4 years old.

Or I would say, "I WILL be doing just that." (I get the point, but I think I'd remain willfully ignorant, to make my own point.)

I have heard this from numerous people when I tell them I am having a vertical sleeve gastrectomy.

"So if you know you will only be able to eat half a hamburger for the rest of your life, why don't you do just that?"

How do you respond to this question????

Well I simply look at it like this... I am addicted to food, just any other addiction assistance is needed. So WLS is my assistance, and yes others may have done it naturally but that does not work for everyone. I have tried all the different types of diets and am just tired of being a yo-yo. So this is what will work best for me, so that I can begin my journey to a healthier me.

I've had conversations similar to this, and have had great luck explaining that it is the lack of hunger that now allows me to stop at such a small amount of food. With hunger, there is no way we could eat so little....it just wouldn't happen. I've challenged people who were critical to eat what I eat in a day, and see if they could manage it with "just diet and exercise". No takers yet. LOL

Actually, yes - she does have a weight problem - it is my mother!

She states she hates to see me go through this procedure to come out the other side regretting the decision and not being able to eat and enjoy life.

Hilarious, I know.... :) She just doesn't get it....

That's Exactly what my mother said. Enjoyment of life does not equal eating. I'll tell you what enjoyment is:

Being able to slide into a booth with ease

Being able to ride any amusement park ride

Being able to wear a swimsuit

Being able to go on Water slides

Being able to ride a horse

Being able to hike up a mountain

Being able to ride my bike

Being able to wear cute clothes ,,,,

and the list goes on. BTW, I still really enjoy food to.

Why didn't I eat 1/2 the hamburger and call it good? Why didn't I just eat less?

Because maybe I could do it for a month or two, then I would finally break and just binge. Now I have no desire to.

And we're not alone. My husband showed me a scientific article (that I can't find now, of course, when I want it!) that said that only 5% of people with more than 100 pounds to lose were going to be able to lose it all with diet and exercise AND that fewer than 1% would manage to keep it off long term. Those odds are horrible. I wanted/needed to do something that I knew would work for me.

I was one of those. I got down to my goal weight and gain it all and more back.