Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophogus Spasams Agter Surgery.....

I had surgery on July 20th. I had to stay an extra night because I could not drink the fluids. My esophagus was having spasms to my new stomach. I am now home, but it still hurts so bad to swallow. Anyone experience this and how long did it last?

I had spasms, and still do on occasion, though mine were not as you're describing. Swallowing never hurt, it was always after. Mine started tapering off around week 10.

not sure what temperature your liquids are but it was a lil painful to swallow right after surgery. I sipped on some warm tea and kept my liquids at room temperature. Each day got better and by day 4 or so I was able to drink with no pain. When you are having a spasm warm liquid is what you need. It will help... I promise! :)

Not really. Contrary to what the person above posted, I found that extremely cold liquids helped a bit. I'd freeze a bottle of Water and sip on it as it slowly melted. And I crunched ice chips. Those two things never caused spasms. Everything else did - warm liquids, Vitamins, the Lortab elixir, etc. The spasms were fairly severe, too (I'd feel them through to my back/between my shoulderblades, and get a referred pain in my hips, which I was familiar with from my lapband days).

I was also feeling the contractions our stomachs make to grind food up. Like clockwork. These really hurt for a while too. ut I didn't feel them in my stomach, I felt them more in my esophagus/throat. About every 20 seconeds, like clockwork, any time I ate/drank something that was not super cold. I still get this with most Protein drinks or thick liquids, or if I eat a bit too much, or need to burp.

Dd anything seem to help make it more tolerable?

Not really. Contrary to what the person above posted' date=' I found that extremely cold liquids helped a bit. I'd freeze a bottle of Water and sip on it as it slowly melted. And I crunched ice chips. Those two things never caused spasms. Everything else did - warm liquids, Vitamins, the Lortab elixir, etc. The spasms were fairly severe, too (I'd feel them through to my back/between my shoulderblades, and get a referred pain in my hips, which I was familiar with from my lapband days).

I was also feeling the contractions our stomachs make to grind food up. Like clockwork. These really hurt for a while too. ut I didn't feel them in my stomach, I felt them more in my esophagus/throat. About every 20 seconeds, like clockwork, any time I ate/drank something that was not super cold. I still get this with most Protein drinks or thick liquids, or if I eat a bit too much, or need to burp.

[/quote']

Agree 100% with Wheetsin.

I was sleeved July 17th, the colder the better. If I take anything room temp, God forbid warm (like soup) I instantly get the spasm. I am pretty sure I could suck on a ice block 24/7.

However we are all different. You'll find the right temp pretty quick if you play around. I was craving ice the second I woke up and have been chewing on crushed ice since.

I had spasms in the middle of my chest after every swallow for 4 weeks. I also would keep my Water room temp. It helped a little. The swelling was the culprit. Once the swelling goes down it the pain should taper off. :) Hope you feel better soon!

I'm two years post surgery and experience heartburn and stomach spasams 5 days ago. Worst pain, put me in bed, couldn't eat for three days. Still very tender. Has anyone ever had this

I'm two years post surgery and experience heartburn and stomach spasams 5 days ago. Worst pain, put me in bed, couldn't eat for three days. Still very tender. Has anyone ever had this

I'm 3 1/2 years post op. I have sever GERD, bile reflux, and esophageal spasms still! I am on Levsin for the spasms and it helps. I am on the strongest PPI they make which they have no generic for. It is called Dexilant. Great medication. I also drink carafate three times a day. This will never go away. The spasms are horrific. Most pain I've ever felt and feels much like a heart attack. Prayers for you to feel better. The GERD causes the spasms. Try sleeping elevated and don't eat anything 3 hours before bed. Prayers for you. Mine started 10 months after surgery. I also had my gall bladder removed as they thought that was the problem. It was bad but the spasms continue.

Blessings.