Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cigna Insurance Filed...how Long Will The Verdict Take? (Is Age A Factor?)

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster :ph34r: . So I have had all of my pre-testing and 6 month diet...etc. It has been absolute HELL jumping through all of the legal hoops. But it's finally done and the surgeon's office filed the paperwork on Friday. My question is how long is the wait usually with Cigna to be approved or denied? Also, will they call or snail mail it?

One last question, I am 22 and I am worried that my age will have a negative affect on my insurance's willingness to cover me. I've been morbidly obese for almost my entire life, so it's really a health issue and not vanity that brought about my choice. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I am so nervous it's ridiculous! :unsure:

Thanks!

LC

Hi I don't think age had anything to do with it. It sounds like you did all the things your insurance required, I know nothing about Cigna. Don't be nervous, all are friends here and try to help everyone. Best of luck and let us know what happens. :rolleyes:

i have Cigna. I was approved about 19 days after first submit. it was long and agonizing. I suggest calling every couple days to check on your status. I was denied at first, they said they were missing a second letter.

I would also suggest searching the forums for Cigna. There are lots of topics about them

Good luch and best wishes!!!

My paperwork was sent on Tuesday of last week, accepted by Cigna on Wednesday. I called this morning to see if a decision had been made and was told the nurse is still reviewing it. They have 5 days to review it before making a decision. Apparently, the nurse needs ALL 5 days, because tomorrow makes the 5th day. Nurses, such slow pokes. (I'm a nurse, lol) :-)

My paperwork was faxed to Cigna last Monday 7/16. I've called every day- they say it takes 5 business days- I'm getting ready to call again to make sure things are on track. They have really expideted the approval process in the last few months from what I hear. Also if you have a surgeons office that makes sure you have your ducks in a row- you should have no problem. Good luck!!!

I'm not sure what legal hoops you're referring to -- shouldn't have been any, unless you have some kind of extenuating circumstances (inw hich case I do not want to know what they are!) :).

CIGNA is one of the slowest when it comes to preauths/preapprovals. I believe their timeframe is 30 days, and in all of my experience with them they've taken the full amount of time.

YOUR notice will come via post, unless you place the call. They will not call you (at least not per normal procedure).

Unless there is a criteria around age that's listed in your plan, it will not effect it. Young patients (under 18) may be a different story - and should be. Your age will impact some things because of the risk pools it places you in, but WLS is not one of them.

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster :ph34r: . So I have had all of my pre-testing and 6 month diet...etc. It has been absolute HELL jumping through all of the legal hoops. But it's finally done and the surgeon's office filed the paperwork on Friday. My question is how long is the wait usually with Cigna to be approved or denied? Also, will they call or snail mail it?

One last question, I am 22 and I am worried that my age will have a negative affect on my insurance's willingness to cover me. I've been morbidly obese for almost my entire life, so it's really a health issue and not vanity that brought about my choice. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I am so nervous it's ridiculous! :unsure:

Thanks!

LC

I have Cigna too. My requirements were all done last week but my surgeon's office has yet to submit my package to them. I'm still waiting.

Hopefully you'll get an approval soon!

Thanks for all the info and support everyone! It's really helped calm my nerves. Day 2...and still anxiously waiting B) Cross your fingers for me.

Cigna lost my submission and ended up rushing it in two days. It was really frustrating. I called them every other day. My doc called them. They kept telling us in the medical director's office when they didn't have it at all. I hope you have better luck. Stay on them!

I called Cigna today. I was told they received my information yesterday from my surgeon's office and my case is now in nurse review. A decision should be made in 24-72 business hours. So, that's my timeline.

I'll be calling everyday until I know something. :)

That's so exciting Alicia! I hope everything works!

keeping my fingers crossed :)