Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weigth/clothes Sizes Ratio?

I was trying to project what size I would be if I lost x amount of weight. I remember being 166 lbs and a size 14. Seems like a size is 25 lbs. If that is so, I'd be a size 12 at 141 lbs. I've seen other people posts saying they are a size 6-8 at the same weight, with a hight not so far from mine. How is that possible? I have a large built, 5'4".

I was told that at about every 25 pounds you loose, you go down 1 size....

And you shouldn't go by what everyone else's stats...people have different shapes and curves....some people are more muscular than others...

I had people tell me to my face they were shocked my largest size was a 28 and I weighed at my highest 339 pounds...

If you hold up a pair of size 28 pants and a size 26 together, the 28 is larger by about 3 to 3 1/2 inches in the hips. If you hold up a size 2 and a 4, there is only about 1 inch difference. The larger the size the more weight you will have to lose to go down to the next size. I have been all over the chart and the difference between a 20 and a 22 was about 25 pounds for me. However, I only had to drop 13 or so pounds to go from a size 14 to a size 12. This chart may help you. http://www.womenssizechart.com/

I was trying to project what size I would be if I lost x amount of weight. I remember being 166 lbs and a size 14. Seems like a size is 25 lbs. If that is so, I'd be a size 12 at 141 lbs. I've seen other people posts saying they are a size 6-8 at the same weight, with a hight not so far from mine. How is that possible? I have a large built, 5'4".

Ya, everyone is built very differently. I'm at 270 and just about to fit into an 18.. Go figure that one out. I thought I weighed a lot less last time I was an 18, but I'm really not sure now. (I'm 5'6")

OH, and don't forget about "vanity sizes." A 200 lb woman can wear a size 8 in vanity sizes! LOL (Last time I was an 8, I weighed 125!!)

OH' date=' and don't forget about "vanity sizes." A 200 lb woman can wear a size 8 in vanity sizes! LOL (Last time I was an 8, I weighed 125!!)[/quote']

I'm so glad I'm a guy. None of this varying size stuff. Just measure around your waiste and that's your size. ;)

And height matters, too. At 6'2" and 182, I'm well within "normal" weight now and wear a comfortable size 12/14 (even a couple of 10s, bless Eddie Bauer!). Some tiny girls on this forum start their surgery process where I left off! :)

Plus, body composition really matters, too. There are some folks on here who seem to have a lot of muscle per inch--as in, they wear tiny sizes (0, 2, 4) but are muscular and weigh more than one might suspect. So it's all very individual. My advice is not to sweat it--you're going to end up where you end up, and you can tweak it a bit, but there's no way to get any sort of consistency because of the way women's clothing is sized. Just enjoy the ride!

I am 188 and wearing a 12 at 240 I was wearing an 18 hope to end up either an 8 or 6 we will see. I used.to say I would be happy being a size 14. That was yesterday today is a new day

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

And height matters' date=' too. At 6'2" and 182, I'm well within "normal" weight now and wear a comfortable size 12/14 (even a couple of 10s, bless Eddie Bauer!). Some tiny girls on this forum start their surgery process where I left off! :)

Plus, body composition really matters, too. There are some folks on here who seem to have a lot of muscle per inch--as in, they wear tiny sizes (0, 2, 4) but are muscular and weigh more than one might suspect. So it's all very individual. My advice is not to sweat it--you're going to end up where you end up, and you can tweak it a bit, but there's no way to get any sort of consistency because of the way women's clothing is sized. Just enjoy the ride![/quote']

Thanks for sharing your height. My daughter is 9 years old, 5'1", and doctors predict she will well over 6' tall. Any advice you can share for raising her? She is much taller than all her friends AND overweight. She is one of the reasons why I started this journey.

Clothes shopping is so frustrating. I hate to go to stores so most of my shopping is done on line. I just ordered a wonderful denin coverup in a size 2X and when it came it might fit what I imagine a size 12 would wear. Darn. It was a new vendor for me - Northstyle. Their catalog has some awesome clothes but if the coverup is an indication of sizing it will be my last time to order.

Another thing to remember is the woman's sizes vary tremendously from store to store. I have been shopping with my wife when she went to try on some outfit and even though it was the right size, it was way too small. I also note that some stores on-line state that there sizes "run small" and to order one size larger. Why? As if it is not hard enough to find the time and money to shop, now we have brands that are adding a degree of difficulty as well.

As a man I think sizes that "run small" or "run large" are a ridiculous marketing ploy that in the end serves no one. If a size 12 is not a size 12 everywhere, then there is no such thing.

I will admit to happily pondering what my sizes will be .... I am hoping for a 36x32 - so I guess I will be about a size 12 LOL!!!