Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head Games - How to get your head in the program!

We've had lots of threads about the tips and tricks of sucessful banders. I'm at a platau and I'm trying to get my "head" fixed.... I really wanted to enter this journey as not a traditional diet with counting calories, excersing for hours, blah blah blah....

I told myself I'd eat normal and exercise normal. I was leaning toward eating and ordering food like everyone else just less of it. And exercising about 30 - 60 minutes 4 x week...

Sounds like a nice perfect life huh?

Well it's worked so far - I've been losing at about 1.5 per week until about 7 weeks ago... now I've been stuck.

I clearly know the problem and need to overcome it. It's the "easy" band food... the mushy stuff that doesn't hurt, the ice cream in the evening, the candy that "YELLS" my name (really I hear it all the way from the store).... It's also the Soup that I love.

I want to eat solid food like veggies and Protein but persoanlly hate it... I'm not crazy about veggies at all and like very little meats. StewartS recommened string cheese sticks and I'm going to try that but thought you all might have a few additional recommendations.

See the angel side of me says "Don't take the easy way out... have a healthy meal".... the devil side says "Have a bowl of soup.. it has Vitamins and doesn't hurt and maybe some cheese curls or doritios..."

It's a battle in my head!

I just got an unfill after a terrible weekend of being stuck. I have been a good bandster so don't know what the problem is. I am always hungry, but don't eat more because I know better. They told me to eat more hard Protein - chicken, fish, beef, etc. because that will stay in the pouch longer. The soft foods and vegetables go right through and you are hungry soon after eating. I'm going to try that and see if it works. I've also heart that tofu is good. Haven't gone to that yet.

You might need to do something like more Protein or more calories just to shake your metabolism up and get out of your routine. You are doing great and I'm sure you will start losing again.

Yeah - I realize I need more Protein like chicken, fish & beef but...

My stupid head says YUCK!!! I need to trick it and blindfold it! Take it hostage and threaten it with bodily harm... Maybe curse at it...

Nahhh!! I guess I just need to give in and eat yuck food!

Sometimes being stuck at one weight is necessary for your body to adjust to a new "set point." I have experienced a couple of long periods at the same weight during this past year. I know how frustrating it is, and you think you are doing something wrong. Yet, I really think it is just a natural part of losing a lot of weight. It is going to come off smoothly, 1.5 lbs a week, week after week.

Could we all make perfect food choices, all the time? I suppose. I prefer the approach of making good choices about 80% of the time. I love ice cream, too, and I do have it more often than is theoretically recommended. I guess I would have lost weight faster. Only you can balance out your life, because only you are living it.

If meat and veggies aren't your style, then try something like chicken or tuna salad, omelettes, meatloaf ??? I love salad, and that is in the veggie category.

Don't let the "shoulds" keep you from doing the best you can.

My PCP wants me to have a few bites of something every hour. So I will get up in the morning and have a slice of Hillshire turkey then an hour later another then I go to curves come home and have a protien shake. I take a Balance bar divide it in 3 and have a piece every few hours. I eat chicken of something "normal" for lunch and dinner. When I'm not PMSing I do great with this and lose around 1/2 pound a week which at this point in my WL journey they say is good. But PMS time, like you the chocolate calls me it's even waking me up in the middle of the night sometimes!

I finially broke down and went for a small fill last week and today is my first full day of eating "normal" Perhaps that is what you need my fill was only .1cc, but I think it has helped me.

Good luck if you want more info on the hourly diet PM me.

Almost forgot. At times I will have 3 or 4 triscuits (fiber) laughing cow triangle or some other type of protien, and a few sugar free sweet pickles. This is a GREAT snack gives you a little bit of everything and the pickles really help the sweet tooth....I just always seem to forget that when I'm PMSing!

Sometimes being stuck at one weight is necessary for your body to adjust to a new "set point." I have experienced a couple of long periods at the same weight during this past year. I know how frustrating it is, and you think you are doing something wrong. Yet, I really think it is just a natural part of losing a lot of weight. It is going to come off smoothly, 1.5 lbs a week, week after week.

Could we all make perfect food choices, all the time? I suppose. I prefer the approach of making good choices about 80% of the time. I love ice cream, too, and I do have it more often than is theoretically recommended. I guess I would have lost weight faster. Only you can balance out your life, because only you are living it.

If meat and veggies aren't your style, then try something like chicken or tuna salad, omelettes, meatloaf ??? I love salad, and that is in the veggie category.

Don't let the "shoulds" keep you from doing the best you can.

Actually that is great advice and I appreciate it. I forgot completely about the tuna salad & chicken salads which I actually like. That is why sometimes just asking for suggestions prompts you to remember something new (old).

Also, this is the weight I spend many years at. Stuck for so long at 170 in my past makes me feel like it's a nightmare. I guess my body has a thing for this weight.

Meatloaf is a good idea too. I didn't used to like it but tried some recently and it was pretty good. That's what I think I need to break the platau is some variety. I've been eating the same ole same ole...

Thanks!

You mentioned that Soup doesn't 'hurt', does that mean that eating solid protien hurts? If it does, you may be too tight, and need a slight UNfill. That way you can eat solid protien that leaves you satisfied instead of mushies that go right through.

Well I really mean that Soup goes down easy because I can eat it and enjoy it without any discomfort... I know for sure my issue is in my head because I can get an entire chicken breast down without a PB but do get uncomfortable plus I just don't like it much... and thus my big issue is what I like and don't like.

The soup is delious, good, healthy and I don't have to eat it slow or worry about any pain that could come.... I know I'm not too tight but I'm in the mindset right now that the food I should be eating is just blah (not necessary from pain)

I just a made a meatloaf with a package of stove top stuffing mixed in - it was delicious and moist and a small piece is not going to kills us calorie wise.

I am having the exact same issue - I had a regain problem that I am fighting - I have been able to maintain at this weight, but now need to find the energy and focus that helped me lose the weight to begin with. I really think its about making small changes & creating healthier habits - eat the ice cream but have it in the afternoon and say nothing to eat after dinner. When thats in place, change the rule to ice cream only 2x a week, etc. As for meal ideas - I actually do like a lot of Proteins and veggies - I am just too lazy sometimes!! There are a lot of things I like that are on the rich side, but since our portion size is small, I tend to rationalize a bit! LOL If you like Soup - why not make swedish meatballs - throw a few meatballs into LF cream of mushroom soup & have a few for lunch, or take a few meatballs, melt a slice of cheese over it & drizzle homemade sauce on it - yumm! I love taking deli chicken or turkey, cutting it up & melting cheese (can you tell I love cheese...?) on it & putting a few spoonfuls of fresh salsa on it (from the produce section). I also like roast beef, sliced & pan sauteed, with sauteed mushrooms, peppers onions, and you guessed it - CHEESE!! LOL When I am in a good mode, I make sure that one of my meals is salad based with Protein on top, and the other is one with, well, cheese. My kids love "salad bar" night - I make a bunch of toppings & everyone walks the line, then the leftovers store well for my salad makings for a few days. The key is finding the focus and then getting creative. I am really trying to find my own focus - thank you so much for posting this. It feels good to know you're not alone - I feel for you! Good luck with breaking your plateau.

Kristin

I am having the exact same issue - I had a regain problem that I am fighting - I have been able to maintain at this weight, but now need to find the energy and focus that helped me lose the weight to begin with.

I'm having exactly the same problem. After being a 'model' bandster and turning into my Dr's 'star pupil' the wheels have really come off. Everytime I look in the mirror I see old-woman sagging skin; I'm losing hair at an alarming rate; I've learnt how to eat around the band, oh and three days ago my worst fear came to pass - I PB'd.

I'm sure some shrink would have lots to say, but lets face it, the effort of changing your life is supposed to produce good results - not an 80-year body on a 36 year woman!