Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

discourged

Hello everyone,

I am so discouged at this point. I have been banded for 2 years now and I have not reached my goal weight. I started out at 351 lbs and once was 197 lbs, and now am at 210 lbs. I gained that weight back after I was filled too tight, and actually couldn't eat, and gained 13 lbs. I am not doing well, very discourged, I have this big belly, just hanging there, can't jog cause it hurts my back, I do walk alot, but it just don't seem to be doing anything. I don't want anyone to think I am whining, I am grateful that I have lost the amount of weight I have, and I would never regret my choice of having the lap band, and I know that I would of never lost the amount I have without having the band. I have read alot of post on the website here, and I get alot of support, and I relate to alot of things. One thing that I can relate to is not being able to eat all day long, and being able to eat anything after 6 p.m. I really am under alot of stress at work, and I believe that stress makes me tight, and I can't keep anything down, so I am not getting my Protein in. I need to take responsiblity for some of this. I get frustrated and then eat the wrong things, then beat myself up for 2 days.

I just had to vent to people who will understand. I can tell my very supportive friends, and family, but they don't understand fully what is going on inside my head.

Thank you for listening to me

Suzan

Hi Sue,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Do you want encouragement to get back on track? Do you just need to vent?

Maybe it's time to take a step back and look at how far you've come and try to decide if you are ready to start moving forward again.

You said you were overfilled - have you had that taken care of or are you still overfilled? I've been overfilled and it's no fun. If you can't eat solid Protein it's going to be impossible to get back on track. If you haven't had an unfill, that's your first step.

Maybe you could spend a little more time here on LBT - maybe in one of the weight loss challenges or in the Gone For Good Club. Everyone is very supportive - very few are judgemental, especially when it comes to weight loss. We're ALL here for the same reason.

Do you have a "live" support system? You say your friends and family won't understand how you're feeling - have you tried them? You need someone to pet you and tell you how great you've done and how far you've come and help you get back into the groove. Unless you tell them what you need, they can't help you.

I don't know if my post has helped at all - I hope you get the support you need soon.

Best wishes, come back and tell me how you're doing, OK?

Wow! You've lost 141 lbs!!!! that's awesome! In two years thats between a lb and a lb and a half a week - Right on track, especially since you had a rebound issue from the over-fill. I know some people lose faster, and it can be frustrating because we all want the weight off, and now! But look how far you've come already! You are a success, and you can continue being a success I'm sure. Try to focus on the good parts and what you can do to get back on the losing streak. LBT is here for you!

I am so discouged at this point. I have been banded for 2 years now and I have not reached my goal weight. I started out at 351 lbs and once was 197 lbs, and now am at 210 lbs. I gained that weight back after I was filled too tight, and actually couldn't eat, and gained 13 lbs.

This sounds very unusual. You couldn't eat much of anything but you *gained* weight? It sounds like there's definitely something else going on. Have you seen your doctor? Maybe there's something up with your hormone balance or your thyroid.

When was the last time you saw your Dr and talked to him about whats going on? You have done fantastic I'm sure its very scary with the scale moving up 13 pounds, but try to look at where you have come from and get back on track.

Good luck

Sue...

I am almost 2 yrs post-op and have lost 97 pounds (almost to goal, don't really care if I lose the last 13 pounds or not). I've been too tight and fell into soft food syndrome. Maybe that's why you gained weight with a too-tight fill?

My personal opinion (remember...my advice is free, and worth every cent) is that everyone has a different "sweet spot", depending on what type of eating problem(s) they have (quantity eater, sweets eater, carb eater, etc), tolerance, and lots of other stuff. I need for my band to be tight enough so that I cannot eat bread, pizza, Pasta, etc. Carbs were my downfall. I also need my food to stay in my pouch for long periods, as I was also bad about grazing (snacking). Now, if there isn't room in the pouch, I can't eat it (or not much of it).

I think (you could be different) that we all need to examine CLOSELY our eating habits, feelings about food, etc. I mean really look at all those things and see where they got us in trouble, and what we and the band, as a TEAM, can do to overcome them.

There is absolutely no scientific evidence to back this theory, but it has worked well for me. Food/eating is such a huge part of our lives and social structure, I just think it takes more than a mechanical approach to "fix" it.

Sue

It's time for a brand new start.

The first thing I would do is get a slight unfill. Having too tight of a fill is not healthy and obviously makes you feel miserable.

Then, after you get a slight unfill, concentrate on the foods that you're eating. I've also been banded over two years, so I'm sure you've heard the same ole posts that I have about trying to get your Protein in first, then veggies...ect..ect...

Don't worry about the past. You've done a fantastic job in your weight loss! You are an inspiration! It's just time to start a new. Take it one day at a time, then it won't feel so overwhelming.

You're doing great!!

Tricia

Well, I am also 2 years out and not at goal. I haven't lost nearly as well as you have to begin with, but I too am glad for what I have so far, but sad for what I don't have yet.

Have you considered having a panni removal? That would take care of the lower belly and you might be able to run and kick your exersize up a notch once you get healed up. If it's causing you issues, you could probably even get insurance to cover it for you.

My issue is that I'm either eating just enough to not lose, or if my eating is good, I'm drinking alcohol. I've got some sort of mental block going on where I just can't buckle down and do what I need to do. *hugs*

I am in a very similar place.... I have lost 26 # in one year I can exercise great now but no more weight loss I have fallen into old habits and done the "soft food " thing. I have started back on the support group because I need to hear all of you cheer us on. I get those horrible feelings of failure and the cycle begins. I have not gained but feel horrible about not losing. I am starting new every day hoping to get out of my rut. I appreciate everyones honesty here and can't tell you how much better it feels to know I am not alone.

Elda

Something I've been kicking around lately is the whole idea of perfection. Seems like many of us have this idea that if we are not perfect, there is "no use." IF that is part of the problem, and you'll have to really think that over, then try saying something like, "Something is better than nothing." Why are we expecting perfection? Then, when we don't achieve our expectation, we set up the next step: overeating to calm our guilt at not being perfect. And, there we go...the cycle repeats.

You have done a great job! There are still obstacles to overcome, but look at all the ones you have already left in the dust!

Courage! You can figure this out, and make one little step in the right direction, and that is good enough!

It's like spending your whole life training for the Olympics and then winning the bronze medal. It means you're 3rd best in the entire world, which is nothing to sneeze at. But it's only natural to want the gold and be a little disappointed when you don't get it.

We all eventually get over it though.

Hopefully.