Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Banding

Guest Sew N Sew

Guest Sew N Sew

:usa2: Hello all, I have been looking into the band for months now, and have gotten all the paperwork fiiled out ready to submit. Its taken me a while because I've had some reservations. Those being recovery, pain, food choices, "slippage" etc...I have gotten wonderful support from another site, so that has made me move forward. I came across this site looking for people to chat with in the Sacramento Ca. area. Iam just beginning this journey, looking forward to a new road!

Hey there! Welcome to lapbandtalk! Lots of resources and support here. Best of luck on your band journey!

Hi landgtino,

Lapbandtalk is a great resource, I'm glad you found it. The lapband has a advantages and disadvantages. The best advise I can give you is to make an honest assessment of why you're overweight. If you graze all the time or are a sweets eater, the lapband probably isn't your best bet for weight loss. If you overeat quantity and are willing and able to make changes in food choices, and if you're willing to do the work to lose weight, the lapband is an excellent choice.

The lap band isn't a magic wand. Everything you've had to do in the past to lose weight - diet, excercise, make better food choices, have the patience to stay with it for a long time (like forever) - you'll have to do with a band if you want it to work. People always say "If I could do that, why would I need the band?" Well, the problem with diet and exercise alone is that eventually you get tired of doing it and you give up. With a band, you CAN'T give up. You can make poor food choices like ice cream or chocolate and you won't lose weight, but if you can stay with solid food, the band will help you restrict the quantity you can consume, so even if you're not making the 'best' choices, you can at least maintain your weight until the binge has run its course and you're ready to get back on track.

You may already know all of that from your research but its hard to know what stage of research or what kinds of things people have heard about the band.

Something I didn't know about until being banded, is the issue of hair loss. Not everyone loses hair, but a LOT of people who've been banded do. It usually starts a few months post-op and continues for several months at which time your hair begins to regrow. I'm in the middle of the Hair loss process right now, and I have to tell you, it's pretty depressing. I wish I had known about it before being banded just so I would have been prepared to deal with it.

Another thing you should be aware of is acid reflux/GERD/esophagitis. Some people who have acid reflux have complete cessation when they have the band placed. Some people who've never had reflux START having problems when the get the band. I'm one of the latter. I've never had acid back up into my throat but I started having pain at my sternum, front and back, and was diagnosed with esophagitis. I have to take Nexium for it which, thankfully, controls the problem. But I had to wait for several months to have my 2nd fill until the symptoms completely resolved, and it was pretty dishartening to watch while people who were banded at the same time I was continued to lose weight while my weightloss stalled at 40 pounds. PATIENCE is definitely required with the band. It's easy to tell yourself that everyone is different and you shouldn't compare your progress with others, but it's hard to actually do!

Patience is the key with the band. If you want rapid weight loss with minimal effort, the band is not for you. If you can accept that you didn't gain all your weight overnight and you're not going to lose it overnight, the band might be a great tool to help you in your efforts.

I hope this post didn't sound negative. Even though I've had setbacks and have gone through some tough times (even though I've only been banded for 6 months), I'm still glad I chose the band. If I knew then what I know now, I'd still choose the band.

Best wishes on your journey. Welcome to Lapbandtalk.

Donna B, that was a great response! You helped me also with this post, as I was feeling a little unsure about what to expect, too. Thanks for all the info and the sensible way you spoke about the LapBand, the pros and cons. I love this place.... you all are great!

Karen

Guest Sew N Sew

Hi Donna, Thanks for the info. :welldoneclap: Funny, I loose hair from Thyroid, I already have GERD x3yrs. take the same meds as u, and I weigh the same. You have 7 inches of height on me! I was thinking of the band as being my "Internal support system". I figure I will get all the info, go to to the required meetings, fill out all forms, do the insurance bit, and along the way if I find out its not for me, I will still have met some great people on the road to a better body, and I'll have to do it another way. Thanks to all...Gael

there is alot of great information, sometimes in and about other not so useful. Stay with the positive posts in the General questions and lapband support. Good Luck on your journey!