Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Removal Of X-Tra Stomach?

Hi everyone...

I am in a holding patter... band to sleeve scheduled for Aug 9th.

I've been reading and reading on the sleeve vs, RnY and still have so many questions.

One comment that I read was in regards to the "stomach removal". In essence the writer was stating to be very careful of the sleeve because unlike other surgeries... this surgery was permanent and couldn't be reversed should complications arise. Has anyone had such complications or know what the writer might be referring too?

Also, a comment was made... "I didn't want to risk getting rid of the x-tra stomach in case I might need it later"????

Anyone know what the x-tra stomach would be needed or used for???

Are these crazy questions? Ha!!!

Uuuuhhhhh..... I don't think the stomach is usable in the RNY either. It just sorta sits in there and shrivels up or something. I don't think it can ever be reversed. The nice thing about the sleeve is that while it may get "roomier" (slightly) over time, it can not stretch out to a large capacity as the RNY can do. The pouch the RNY leaves has stretch to it. With the sleeve, the stretchy part is entirely removed leaving the less movable part. The capacity of a sleeve may increase from 4 oz to like....6 oz after a couple years, but that is still pretty small, and the Grehlin factory is still gone. That's the almost more important part. The hunger hormones are mostly gone giving you greater self control.

Hi everyone...

I am in a holding patter... band to sleeve scheduled for Aug 9th.

I've been reading and reading on the sleeve vs' date=' RnY and still have so many questions.

One comment that I read was in regards to the "stomach removal". In essence the writer was stating to be very careful of the sleeve because unlike other surgeries... this surgery was permanent and couldn't be reversed should complications arise. Has anyone had such complications or know what the writer might be referring too?

Also, a comment was made... "I didn't want to risk getting rid of the x-tra stomach in case I might need it later"????

Are these crazy questions? Ha!!![/quote']

Who knows if the original writers were referring to anything specific. I think the first comment may just be pointing out the permanency of this procedure. I have no idea what kinds of things could cause you to need a full stomach again. That is probably a good question for a doctor.

That's really flawed logic. In all procedures other than AGB, something is removed. So replace "stomach" with excised anatomy of choice, or naturally occuring tissue connection of choice, and every single permanent WLS out there would be created equal (in terms of not getting rid of X because you might need X some day).

No, this surgery cannot be reversed. But is I said above, AGB is the only truly reversible procedure that I'm aware of (using my own definition of reversal anyway, i.e. return you to your original state), and even it isn't completely reversible: you're always going to have adhesions and/or scar tissue, at the very least.

It's a pretty common pre-op fear though. Something like, "What if I get cancer, and they'd be able to fix it IF I still had that part of my stomach that they could use to..." It's a comittment, for sure. And it's smart to question any comittment. The chances of needing the rexcised portion of the stomach down the road are... well, I dont' know the odds, but I'm reasonably confident they are N/A. I guess we'll see.

RNY retains the stomach, but honestly - my severed stomach just sorta pinned over into my abdominal cavity, and sealed shut, creeps me out WAY more than "what if I need something in that 80% of my stomach some day..."

RNY "reversals" (not per my definition, but per a functional definition) are possible, but success is never guaranteed. The stomach may or may not be viable. There's going to be a TON of scar tissue and stuff to deal with. It would probably be pretty hard to find a surgeon who would be willing to do it, and I imagine it would require a significant complication/reason.

Are these crazy questions? Ha!!!

Ya know - I had the cancer fear. I asked my Dr. about it, and ya know what he said?

Obesity causes cancer.

I put that in my pipe and smoked it.

I am 2 weeks out today, down 20 pounds, and feel great!!

I've heard some stories of RNY being "taken down" (reversed) but only due to severe complications. I researched all three major procedures and for me, the risks of malabsorption were enough to steer me to the sleeve. If I had NO self-control, I might risk RNY or DS, but if I had no self-control those would ultimately fail as well. I've seen it with friends who've had RNY. I CAN lose weight, as I'm sure everybody on this forum can, but the sleeve will be the tool I need to help KEEP it off, while retaining the benefits of absorbing all my nutrients (just fewer of them!) I too thought about, "What if I really need the extra calories?" A) I seriously doubt I WILL, and B) it would be very easy to get in WAY too many calories with liquids or grazing. This surgery can ALSO be defeated by bad habits, but starvation is extremely unlikely. Best of luck on your journey. Whatever you decide, believe in yourself; that's the biggest key to success.

You guys are AWESOME!!! Can't say thanks enough...

those were some of my exact thoughts about the RNY with the stomach laying off to the side... ummm what for???

After having the band, losing approx 50 lb.s from my highest weight... only about 40 with the sleeve itself... and having some vomiting, sliming, stuck in the gut feelings... I am ready to do something different.

My weight problems began after a car accident in 1997. A traumatic closed head brain injury with lots of medications since... So, I'm really hoping this will be the answer.

I am a little older than most of you... 54... and exercise is a huge problem with me... The fatigue, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome... Not a lot of hope in that area...

Do you find you have to exercise like crazy or anyone do the moderate walking exercise?

My Doc suggested walking an average of 30-45 minutes a day. He said If I'm able to do more vigorous exercise eventually great, but just the act of walking would work wonders towards helping loose weight, and build stamina.

If you're worried, I'm sure there are lots of low impact exercises that others can share that wouldn't bother you at all, and may help more in the long run.

In a worst case scenario of needing additional calories, I've been through it with my son who was FTT for three years with chronic malabsorption due to diarrhea. There are ways to get small amounts of highly nutritional calorie laden fluids in your body. For him, he had small amounts of special formulas every hour 24/7. In addition there are very easy to absorb calorie additives that can be put into foods. Needing "more stomach" just isn't necessary in today's medical world so let that one go :).

those were some of my exact thoughts about the RNY with the stomach laying off to the side... ummm what for???

After having the band, losing approx 50 lb.s from my highest weight... only about 40 with the sleeve itself... and having some vomiting, sliming, stuck in the gut feelings... I am ready to do something different.

My weight problems began after a car accident in 1997. A traumatic closed head brain injury with lots of medications since... So, I'm really hoping this will be the answer.

I am a little older than most of you... 54... and exercise is a huge problem with me... The fatigue, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome... Not a lot of hope in that area...

Do you find you have to exercise like crazy or anyone do the moderate walking exercise?Swimming is a great exercise that will actually help your fibro, at least it has been helping me.

You may have some of those same feelings, but you may not. The beginning "stuck" stages (before it started to really hurt, when there was still a chance it might clear) is similar to being a tad bit overfull with the sleeve. Main difference is you really just have to wait it out with the sleeve (most bandsters learned some ways to beat stuck foods, which of course may or may not work).

The sliming can still happen. That one's not specific to WLS. Vomiting can still happen too, but I suspect it's different. With the band we didn't really vomit, if you think about it. What usually came up? Saliva (in various forms) and/or a few bits of food. No stomach acid, no regurgitation. I've yet to "vomit" (or whatever) with the sleeve. I suspect acid may come up. I also suspect if it's a matter of having packed the sleeve too much it may be more similar to the band "vomit".

I lost a lot of weight with my band, I jut wish it had proven to hae more longevity. Knowing what I know now, had the sleeve been readily available when I had my band, I would have had the sleeve instead.

From 385 - 215 with the band.

Up to 275 with pregnancy.

Down to 250 with slipped band (dehydration/intolerance), then up to 285 (discovered that what liked to go down was not exactly health food).

Up to 354 the day I had my sleeve.

Currently around 270.

Do you find you have to exercise like crazy or anyone do the moderate walking exercise?

New sleeve sensations (didn't have with the band at all):

If I eat a bit too much, or too quickly, I get a sort of stabbing burn in my throat. Not reflux, feels muscular. This is in addition to the pressure in the esophagus area (what I described above as being stuck before it would hurt -- mine alwas sort of progressed in stages from pressure to pretty bad pain).

I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to drink if I'm thirsty, or take a pill if I have a headache, regardless of how my stomach feels. With a slipped band, that "stuck" feeling may last days and it was big trouble if I tried to eat or drink during.

Eating before 1pm or so never agreed with me. Breakfast and regular lunch time became a thing of the past. Ever have to answer, "I don't know if I can eat today" when someone asked what sounded good for dinner? That's pretty much over with. No worries if you have to take a large pill, or several pills at a time.

I'd say the pain/vomiting is a thing of the past, but people still do it. I've just been fortunate enough not to have had any problems. Discomfort, yes. Reflux, yes. But nothing has ever had to come back up.

The behavioral changes you made with your band, especially around chewing, bite size, how quickly you eat, etc. will definitely help you out.

RnY can indeed be reversed, it's just not recommended. There are very few complications from long term VSG - folks have been doing "VSG" for a while if you think about it. Stomach cancer victims have lived with a removed stomach for years before it was ever considered weight loss related bariatric surgery.

The "need" to have it "just in case" sounds like emotional attachment, rather than scientific fact.

I researched the skittles out of VSG before I jumped on it. I didn't find any reason to hang on to my stomach post-op.

(I wasn't entirely sure about the re-use factor. I just know I wouldn't WANT to! LOL)

I have to exercise like crazy, but my body and genetics demand it. Some people don't exercise at all (not recommended..) and lose in spite of it...

Follow your docs orders for what he thinks is best for you.