Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Head Hunger...

I am on day 7 of my pre-op diet. I woke up with the thought, "It's Sunday. I want to go out to eat." Then I spent the next 30 minutes looking online about how a cheat in the middle of a VLCD would affect weight loss. I have played with the different options for restaurant meals in my mind and said to myself, "it's now or not again for a few months." Truth be told, I am not physically hungry. I just WANT to eat.

So THIS is Head Hunger!

head hunger sucks.....but i did find a trick that helped me get through yesterday without cheating- i kept my hands busy! i started crocheting and cruising the internet for new outfits for when i lose weight. after about an hour, i had completely forgotten i was even thinking about food AND looking at all the clothes gave me that kick in the rear i needed!

when I have the urge to eat, I grab my laptop and hit the forums! Helps a lot. I am on Day 7 of pre-op liquid diet. Tomorrows the big day!!

If this is head hunger, then it is pretty serious. I am hungry all the time. I go to bed hungry and I wake up hungry. I am only 6 1/2 weeks post op and this scares me. I pray this isn't how the rest of life is going to be.

These are great idea's to deal with the 'head hunger'. I am worried that I will have the same problems when I start my pre-op diet. Will keep these idea's in mind in a few weeks when I do my pre-op diet :)

I wish I had some great advice for head hunger. Some days I have NO issue at all and breeze right through the day without being tempted by the candy bowl on the front counter at work. Other days it's calling to me like it's the serpent and I'm Eve. ;)

I have head hunger all the time. I am looking for food even when I know I am not hungry. I wonder how much the hunger hormone, ghrelin, plays a part in that?

Will be great after surgery since they remove that portion of the stomach.

Head hunger is such an evil demon. At 4 months out, I battle it daily. Some days are easier than others.... I've even tried hypnotherapy, as well as regular therapy, but haven't found a therapist that can get to the root of my problem. It's like Oprah said, "its not about the food." Even though I realize that, I can't seem to figure out what it is about.

Yep head hunger is a big part of everything. My husband and I went out on Friday for Chinese - it was my first time out since surgery. I had egg flower Soup which tasted fantastic and then we ordered a tofu dish. I had about a 1.5oz portion and was full but boy, it tasted so good that I wanted more...

I am 6 weeks out tomorrow and I do get hungry. But the difference in my real hunger is that when I eat my 2 oz portion I'm full and it goes away.

It's Sunday i want to go out and eat

Tex

this sounds very familiar to me. I used to love to go with DH out to sunday Breakfast.

DH and i used to go out frequently to restaurants - for no good reason, just to go out. We don't do that any more. I know I can go out to eat, i've just decided not to go out for now.

as everyone says, its amazing how much you money you save.

I went to Red Lobster with DH the other day. I had 1/2 appetizer, took the rest home. it was delicious. ;)

I stop eating meals when i'm full, so i feel good then

sunday want to go out and eat, yup that sounds all too familiar to me

dealt with head hunger after i started WLS, but then very shortly it got better

it is hard sometimes not to hear those voices of hunger sounds, but you have to try and ignore them, otherwise you'll (i'll) go nuts - short trip, hubby always says :D

good luck

you'll work it out

kathy

Head hunger is such an evil demon. At 4 months out, I battle it daily. Some days are easier than others.... I've even tried hypnotherapy, as well as regular therapy, but haven't found a therapist that can get to the root of my problem. It's like Oprah said, "its not about the food." Even though I realize that, I can't seem to figure out what it is about.

I know exactly how you feel! I wish I knew what "it" was too. I battle it everyday!

I have found journaling and using the H.A.L.T. tool from the 12 Step Programs really helps me with head hunger.

I take a moment and ask myself am I hungry, angry, lonely, or tired? It gives me an opportunity to think about where my head's at and for me 9 times out of 10, I am actually tired from going non stop through my work day or tackling my daily "To Do List" at home...

So I journal a few notes and take a bit of down time to re-charge my batteries and do some some breathing exercises and stretching.

Each evening I write in my Gratitude Journal, to review the day and think about the people and things that I am grateful for.

It allows me to re-focus and hit the pillow with a positive mind set to get a good night sleep.

For me getting enough sleep and managing my insomnia keep head hunger under control :0)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the support and tips everyone. One week to go until I will have tool to help me!