Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mourning Food

I guess I have been feeling depressed lately knowing that I will never just be able to sit down and enjoy a meal again. Eating isn't the same when you get full on 4oz of food. Does anyone else mourn food/eating? I am sad I will never have a calzone or a burrito again lol. I suppose my feelings are intensified by the fact that I am losing weight very slowly. It's been almost 5 weeks and I've only lost 20 lbs post op. I just miss food, the foods I will never have again, and the act of having an actual meal as opposed to 4 bites of food. I feel like im being punished...but i guess i deserve it. I abused my old stomach and turned myself into a disgusting cow. I'd be ok with this punishment if I was losing. I'm only 5'3" so I am very round and it takes a while to feel/see weight loss. Am I alone with these feelings? Seems like everyone else is doing awesome.

I think we all go through the mourning phase at some point or another. Totally normal. Right now you can only take 4 bites, but that will change. Let yourself feel your emotions, but don't allow yourself to be consumed by those feelings. It's okay to be sad and even mad. Eventually you will come to acceptance and know that this is the greatest gift you could give yourself. Hang in there. It does get better.

I am only two weeks out, but I am having similar feelings. I am sure it will pass with time, and weight loss. Yesterday was very difficult on me, and I was pretty down in th dumps all day. This moring I woke up and went for a long walk, and I am feeling much better. I think there is something to be said for being active when you feel down. It may not beeasy, but it was worth doing. And remember that someday you will be able to eat some calzone and burritto, it jus tmay take three or four meals to finish it. :)

No sweetie you are not alone. I am only week and Half out but I have seen similar post. I hope they reach out to you. I can relate to you because I alao had band before and those first months I thought I was never going to be able to eat this or that again. And boy was I wrong. Yes I had trouble eating a lot of foods which is part of reason why changed to sleeve. I remember going down food isles saying oh how I am going to miss you. Yea I was talkin to food. Lol. But this time is different with time we should be able to eat a little of everything. As far as eating less I likes what someone posted. They said to do the taking now more interactions at meals. I was doing that already with Band. And as far as slow wt loss. There are some great post here too. I think thread is slow loosers unit. I know I will be one. So chin up and give it time ok ;)

You are definitely not alone. I am 5 weeks out and I miss food sooooo much. When I sit down and eat with people I find myself going through a wide range of emotions, from sadness to jealousy to anger. I have shed many tears in the past month thinking about all the stuff I will never have again. The things I miss most are sushi and burrito's. I am counting on the fact that later on down the road I will be able to have these things again...it will just be alot less than it used too be...I will never be able to gorge myself again. And isn't that the reason I did this...cause once I start I don't stop until I am miserable; I miss that feeling too. Is that weird? Anyway missmachine, you are not alone and as everyone says (and I like to believe) it will get better...its just a matter of how long it takes. My doc said I should start feeling better and return to full energy within a couple more weeks, as long as I keep getting my Protein in. Best wishes <3

I know it isn't easy. We got into this position because we love food and to think we may never be able to enjoy it like we used to is a tough pill to swallow. But you will enjoy food again and you will get used to the new way of life. In the mean time, you'll also be getting slimmer and healthier. It's not a bad trade off. And speaking of losing weight. You said you are losing very slowly, but I want you to think about something. You're five weeks out, that's 35 days. In 35 days you have lost TWENTY pounds!! That's well over half a pound a DAY! How many times prior to the sleeve did you see weight loss results like that? I'm guessing never, and if you got anywhere close to that, it was short lived. 20 lbs in 35 days is fantastic! Don't compare your numbers to others on here, it's making you feel you aren't doing well when you are doing amazing!! Hang in there. It will get better. Hugs!

I'm 5 1/2 months out and I can eat most anything I want to, however, I find there are certain things that just aren't worth it. I am sad that I will never go to All You Can Eat Sushi because I am not going to pay the money for it, just to eat 3 pieces.

I miss eating a big sandwich. I was someone that could go in the kitchen and make a sandwich with lots of goodness. Now, I can eat 2/3 of a 1/2 of a sandwich.

I miss eating a big salad. Salads aren't really good leftovers, so more often than not I get a 1/2 size, eat the toppings and leave the lettuce.

It's not as dire as it seems at first, but let's be honest, You've made 20 lbs disappear. Had you not had surgery, you would still have that 20 lbs.

As enigmachik says, Do NOT compare your numbers to others. There are people on here that had surgery the same date I did and lost more in a faster time frame. You didn't put this weight on overnight, it's not going to come off overnight. Do what your supposed to and you'll be fine. The first month was the hardest for me. As soon as I could have tuna or scrambled eggs my life was much better. LOL

Keep on keeping on. It does and will get better.

I guess I have been feeling depressed lately knowing that I will never just be able to sit down and enjoy a meal again. Eating isn't the same when you get full on 4oz of food. Does anyone else mourn food/eating? I am sad I will never have a calzone or a burrito again lol. I suppose my feelings are intensified by the fact that I am losing weight very slowly. It's been almost 5 weeks and I've only lost 20 lbs post op. I just miss food' date=' the foods I will never have again, and the act of having an actual meal as opposed to 4 bites of food. I feel like im being punished...but i guess i deserve it. I abused my old stomach and turned myself into a disgusting cow. I'd be ok with this punishment if I was losing. I'm only 5'3" so I am very round and it takes a while to feel/see weight loss. Am I alone with these feelings? Seems like everyone else is doing awesome.[/quote']

I feel the same & I haven't even had the surgery yet. I thought, how messed up am I that I am sad about food, it's good to know I'm not alone. Hang in there, u did a great thing for yourself

I guess I have been feeling depressed lately knowing that I will never just be able to sit down and enjoy a meal again. Eating isn't the same when you get full on 4oz of food. Does anyone else mourn food/eating? I am sad I will never have a calzone or a burrito again lol. I suppose my feelings are intensified by the fact that I am losing weight very slowly. It's been almost 5 weeks and I've only lost 20 lbs post op. I just miss food' date=' the foods I will never have again, and the act of having an actual meal as opposed to 4 bites of food. I feel like im being punished...but i guess i deserve it. I abused my old stomach and turned myself into a disgusting cow. I'd be ok with this punishment if I was losing. I'm only 5'3" so I am very round and it takes a while to feel/see weight loss. Am I alone with these feelings? Seems like everyone else is doing awesome.[/quote']

I completely understand , I wonder sometimes too if I will enjoy meals, and I just mentioned to my husband that I missed eating out with family and friends. But I love the way my body is changing and how my health is improving . I am going to figure out new ways to enjoy outings with friends and family, maybe ordering and asking for a box ahead of time and slowly chewing my food or maybe just ordering a Soup dish , something easier to eat for me. I love olive garden and will miss eating all that salad they give ya....But I can still eat the Soups they have, so I guess we will have to find new habits to take place of our old ones

I feel the same way food was my comfort and now Im not able to eat it so I just watch my boyfriend eat his food and I get the same high as if I was eating it but now i don't get that aweful feeling of being to full and being mad cause I ate so much. If that makes sense.lol.

I'm almost 3 years out my dear...you are mourning the relationship you had with food;-). I discovered (and still struggle) that I can turn to food and instantly escape from what ever I'm feeling at the time. Most of it for me is a distraction...acknowledge your feelings for sure and try to use it as a tool to identify "why" you turn to food. I fell off the wagon...you'll absolutely find ways to re-establish the relationship and before you know it, you are putting weight back on. Please don't be offended or scared by what I'm sharing...I'm back on these boards because I stepped away. We'll concern the unhealthy relationship and replace it with something much more meaningful....

Thank you everyone...I love this forum!

I thought I was done with the while mourning of food Sleeved 4-24-12 but it has dawned on more recently that I will really not be able to have foods I used to love ... Bagels. pizza. pizza bagels. Ok I'm getting to be repetitive but it's like it's kind of really setting in now. Like this is not a diet. It really is a lifestyle change.

I've tried to "sneak" in some foods that I shouldn't have... One bagel with cream cheese (made me sick). Chocolate=diahhrhea. Cinnamon toast crunch... Diahhrhea instantly. And the list goes on.

I think it's only natural to try foods. It's like you just have to see what it's like and what happens

This is also where slider foods come in. For example a new slider food for me is rice cakes. Not horrible for you but also not great for you. Doritos also went down fine... So I know there are things I have to be careful with

Also there are foods that are an absolute no no. No fried foods!!! It's not just diahhrhea but it's horrible pain! Like go to the ER pain...

I think that I mourned alot of the foods I love when I went gluten free a couple of years ago. The only problem that I encounter is sitting down to enjoy a really good meal and after 7-10 bites I'm done! I'm like REALLY???? But feel just as satisfied like I had eaten the full portion.