Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello my name is Iliana and I have decided to get "sleeved." I had my first consultation yesterday and now have to get all the tests done. I'm self pay because my insurance has am exclusion for weight loss surgery. Because I am self pay, the surgery date is really up to me.. My struggle is, I have work activities coming up, but the more I think about it its never going to be the right time. I think I'm just nervous and I'm rabblimg lol. The other thing I struggle with is, I feel like I don't want to tell anyone about this surgery because I feel like I'm taking the easy way out, but like many people I've struggled with yo yo dieting for a long time and I want to take control of it now. Any feedback would be appreciated :)

you have to be 100 committed and determined. its life changing you will never be the same again.. you will never eat the same again and its a long recovery process i am pre op 2days home from hospital and in so much discomfort.. the thought of not being able to just grab a handful of blueberries that i love whenever i want made me cry life won't be normal as far as food for at least 6-8 weeks and even after that you won't be able to eat freely.. but if your getting sleeved for medical purposes to make yourself healthier its then worth if you have truly already tried everything with no success.. then go for it thankfully my insurance covered my surgery.. hope this helps..

Thanks Marie! I am not going into this lightly especially with the expense, I understand the consequences and I have truly tried everything else.. I do not hve any medical issues yet. If I continue the way I am going they will come and I'm too young for all of that. I hope your pain gets better as days go by, and congrats on embarking on your new weight loss journey!

It took me almost a year to make the decision. I am now 12 days post surgery and feel pretty good. I'm a little tired, but since my 2 week pre-op liquid diet, I've lost 38 lbs. I wasn't sure if I was going to share my surgery with my friends either, but I decided to and it was the best decision. I've had nothing but support!!! A couple of work friends even did liquids only the 2 weeks before surgery with me. It is a huge decision to make so definitely list your pros and cons. Good luck to you with whichever path you choose.

This procedure is sooo NOT the easy way out! There is no going back! Like Marie said, you need to be 100% committed to changing and maintaining this new life style. But it is your right and choice to decide if or what you want to tell others. I'm pretty open about it. I work with a large 50 member team and everyone knows I'm too lazy to do a hard workout or stick to a diet for more than a month. Now I barely eat anything and I was tired of coming up with explanations. So I just let them know and now they are my support group!

BUT - you should decide what you are comfortable with. It is nobody's business but yours.

All the best! :)

Thank you Tara! Yes I too have been thinking about this option for about a year and now is when I made the move and went to a seminar and consultation. I know it won't be easy but I am hoping for the best. good luck to you on your weight loss journey!

Essenses171,

If you have access to pre-op support group, attend. I found themvery helpful. I started my journey September 2011 and just had my surgery Monday. It was a long process of life change classes, support group meetings and exercise/diet to lose weight loss before surgery. Take it one step at a time. Listen to your doctor/support team. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise; it will help with recovery. You can do it.

Thanks VJ! Thanks for the advice. I too can get a little lazy about exercising but it has more to do with my self image. At the end of the day I am doing this for me and my health, and you are right, I can tell who I want :) thanks again.

... regarding telling people. I told my close friends and a few people at work. This is NOT an easy way out. As I've already described my past year. But at the end of the year I was ready for the surgery physically and mentally. You're doing this for you not co-workers, friends or family, right? Keep that in mind. Good luck.

I had the same feelings you did about "timing" not being good. My mother pointed out to me that there would NEVER be a perfect time. That was part of the problem that led me to being overweight to begin with, I always put myself and my own needs on hold for work, the kids, my family etc. SO, I am going to give you the same advice my mom gave me. Schedule the surgery! Take the time to do this for yourself! You deserve it. If you are at the point where you are doing this as your last resort, then do not wait any longer! Put your health on high priority and get it done. Everything else will fall into place. The best part is, that at least in my case, she was right! I am glad I did not put it off any longer. As for telling or not telling, that is up to you. But let me assure you that this is not the easy way out!! It is expensive, it is hard, it is major surgery. BUT it is effective!! You have already yo-yo dieted. You have proven that you can lose weight (and gain it back) By having the surgery, you are going to lose the weight again, but this time permenantly (if you stick with the long term plan, that is)! I don't think it's the easy way out, but it is a smart thing to do if you feel it is right for you. Good luck! Let us know when you schedule!

Thank you Marsha! You are absolutely right about the support group, I'm going to look into that. My Surgeon actually recommended this site as a first step, so I am happy I joined, and this is way better than googling everything. Good luck, and thank you for your kind words.

Hi Tracey, thank you for the advice! Your mother is wise :) I am feeling more confident about this, thanks again!