Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories, Fat, Carbs, Oh My!

Alright y'all need some help and advice. I had my surgery in Mexico 12 weeks post-op. I do not have the money to see a NUT or a bariatric doctor....so can someone please tell me what I am suppose to me consuming daily.

Calories??

Fat??

Carbs??

I know Protein is 60+

Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm sure everyone who posts here is going to tell you something different...

Now, for me and my NUT, I had to do a two hour nutrition class pre-op and this is what they went over:

Protein: 60-80g/day (which can be a challenge, at 2 weeks post-op they said it's good if I can get 40-50)

I've never heard anyone mention this on here but it may not be anything new... they refer to 1 oz of lean meat, 1 slice of cheese and 1 egg as "exchanges," because they are each 7g of Protein. They said to try for 4-6 meals with 14-16g of Protein at each, recommending two "exchanges" with each meal.

Carbs: 45-60g/day but can vary if needed, stay away from anything that has ANY form of sugar as one of the top 3 ingredients. Go for complex carbs over simple carbs.

Fat: Try for <5g per serving and <25g/day, mostly from mono- and poly-unsaturated fats

Calories: my dr and NUT says not to count calories too much because if you are staying in line with the above categories then your calorie count will be fine. The protein and carbs are the most important.

I too attended a nutrition pre-op was told to try to consume 6 small meals and afterwards told to eat 4 to 6 meals. I was so concerned about counting my calories, but later learned to keep with my Proteins and watch carb inatke. I usually am able to take in 40-60 Proteins daily sometimes more by eating Peanut Butter or consuming more cottage cheese with a fruit chaser.

25053279.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I'm sure everyone who posts here is going to tell you something different...

Now' date=' for me and my NUT, I had to do a two hour nutrition class pre-op and this is what they went over:

Protein: 60-80g/day (which can be a challenge, at 2 weeks post-op they said it's good if I can get 40-50)

I've never heard anyone mention this on here but it may not be anything new... they refer to 1 oz of lean meat, 1 slice of cheese and 1 egg as "exchanges," because they are each 7g of Protein. They said to try for 4-6 meals with 14-16g of Protein at each, recommending two "exchanges" with each meal.

Carbs: 45-60g/day but can vary if needed, stay away from anything that has ANY form of sugar as one of the top 3 ingredients. Go for complex carbs over simple carbs.

Fat: Try for <5g per serving and <25g/day, mostly from mono- and poly-unsaturated fats

Calories: my dr and NUT says not to count calories too much because if you are staying in line with the above categories then your calorie count will be fine. The protein and carbs are the most important.[/quote']

How is this working for you? HOw far out are you? and are you losing. I'm eating hardly anything, and try to get as much protein as possible, and I'm still not losing weight. I hope it starts to come off soon!!

Well my intake is: Protein Shake 25 gr, mid am egg 7 gr, lunch Protein 5 shrimp, mid pm cheese, dinner shrimp low carb pasta(first time since surgery)..... this is typical day. I have good weeks and bad weeks as far as losing... this week not to good no gain but no loss either. Make sure you drink plenty of Water this helps I think, keep the carbs down as low as possible.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am down 50lbs...but I just want to make sure I am building good food habits.....trying to get rid of my old ways...LOL!

Well my intake is: Protein shake 25 gr' date=' mid am egg 7 gr, lunch Protein 5 shrimp, mid pm cheese, dinner shrimp low carb pasta(first time since surgery)..... this is typical day. I have good weeks and bad weeks as far as losing... this week not to good no gain but no loss either. Make sure you drink plenty of Water this helps I think, keep the carbs down as low as possible.[/quote']

Sounds yummy, I will try this. Maybe supliment the Pasta with a nice gr summer squash. Body burns Pasta different.

This is a good read - and I highly recommend it for even those of you who DON'T get a VSG.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

Omg! I LITERALLY just read this while laying in bed! I goohled it because im starting to see it everywhere. It makes TOTAL sense to me! Ill br getting super amounts of Protein too! Im having a hard time with that. I hate thise nast powders. Tastefree. Pshhh! Yah right! Buy im still on the liquid diet. Soft foods on the 21st. Im gonna talk to the bariatric surgeon about this!

Unfortunately the vast majority of nutritionists and doctors are incorrect when it comes to fat and carbohydrates. I have a blog post about this as well' date=' but Carbs are to be avoided entirely unless you're training for some kind of marathon or sporting event where you will burn the carbs off.

Most people don't, so their bodies take the carbs and turn it into sugar, which is how we all got into this situation in the first place.

I wholeheartedly, and to the point of fanatical prejudice disagree with the <5 gram of fat per serving. This is nutritional suicide

I'm sorry, but that NUT is wrong. Flat out, deadly, wrong

Best of all, they'll tell you they're certified so what they're saying is gospel, and since I don't have a degree or certification, that I'm the one that is incorrect.

I'd love to see the NUT tell me why my blood panels are so perfect when I consume a high protein/moderate fat diet (and I didn't get that way with consuming fat in <5 grams per serving)

PLEASE be careful who you talk to. This information is killing us all - research everything, leave nothing to chance - Fat is NOT the concern here, the carbs/sugars ARE. Ever notice how NUTs are telling people to do low fat / high or moderate carbs and why the vast majority of those folks are still not losing weight?

Do the research! Don't do everything "they" tell you to do. I'm not a conspiracist, but I DO have an issue with false information that is so gravely incorrect for a wide swath of people.[/quote']

What do you recommend as fat percentage daily???? Low fat p.ays a to

E in hairless too correct?

I have been finding my sweetspot for my personal body chemistry. Trust me I manipulate it alot to find what works

Keep in mind your body adjusts to changing elements so constant manipulation to counter the adaptation must occur.

Fats... I will not go higher than 30grams...NEVER

It triggers gall bladder attacks in me. :(

Protein: I shoot for the sky cause I am MAN lol

Seriously though 60+ everyday

Carbs: I try not to have any. Its almost impossible not to have any so I keep it as low as possible. When I do have them its from fruits and veges

So with that in mind stay in a range of 50-100grams but closer to 50.

Keep an eye on Sodium also. Anything higher than 1200grams stalls me for 2 days.

B12 injectables have stimulated weightloss activity in the cells. I wasnt seeing that before with the sublingual liquid.

Drinking Water first thing in the am helps me out I find rather than a Protein shake. I feel better also.

One last thing try not to eat before you goto bed. Sometimes I have to but I have learned just to skip it. It affected me the next morning.

Dark chocolate is a key ingredient I have been messing with. I hate dark chocolate but it has jump started me out of a stall more than once

This is a good read - and I highly recommend it for even those of you who DON'T get a VSG.

http://www.nerdfitne...the-paleo-diet/

Just wondering, how does this diet differ from the Atkins diet?

I am all in favor of eating low carb, but I just don't see how this is a different diet.

Just wondering' date=' how does this diet differ from the Atkins diet?

I am all in favor of eating low carb, but I just don't see how this is a different diet.[/quote']

The paleo diet is grain free not carb free. There is a big difference there.

In addition, the focus is on non processed foods and sensible fats.

I am from Melbourne, australia. Had a lap band for four years and I don't regret it. However, I find the gastric sleeve far superior- many less complications. Originall, I had a lot of problems post-op with the gastrectomy- these were of the golden staph kind ... and a bit of dehydration. However, the weight loss has been much quicker and I have gained confidence that I hadn't had for so many years it's hard to remember.

My problem is that I still comfort eat and so when I'm stressed, I still struggle with the high fat , unwise food choices which could end up in self sabotage. ams struggling with this at present and trying to go back to low fat options.

Fat does get a bad rap and alot of it is marketing. You need it to live. "Low-fat" processed foods simply replace the fat with processed sugar, I.E. high GI carbs. You don't need those to live. They do nothing but increase your risk of diabetes and make it harder for your body to burn fat.

The only problem with eating fat is it's high in calories. If you are not getting enough calories then eating some dietary fat may actually help you.

Unfortunately the vast majority of nutritionists and doctors are incorrect when it comes to fat and carbohydrates. I have a blog post about this as well' date=' but Carbs are to be avoided entirely unless you're training for some kind of marathon or sporting event where you will burn the carbs off.

Most people don't, so their bodies take the carbs and turn it into sugar, which is how we all got into this situation in the first place.

I wholeheartedly, and to the point of fanatical prejudice disagree with the <5 gram of fat per serving. This is nutritional suicide

I'm sorry, but that NUT is wrong. Flat out, deadly, wrong

Best of all, they'll tell you they're certified so what they're saying is gospel, and since I don't have a degree or certification, that I'm the one that is incorrect.

I'd love to see the NUT tell me why my blood panels are so perfect when I consume a high protein/moderate fat diet (and I didn't get that way with consuming fat in <5 grams per serving)

PLEASE be careful who you talk to. This information is killing us all - research everything, leave nothing to chance - Fat is NOT the concern here, the carbs/sugars ARE. Ever notice how NUTs are telling people to do low fat / high or moderate carbs and why the vast majority of those folks are still not losing weight?

Do the research! Don't do everything "they" tell you to do. I'm not a conspiracist, but I DO have an issue with false information that is so gravely incorrect for a wide swath of people.[/quote']

My NUT tells me the exact same thing. She wants me on 18 or lower of Carbs and High Protein. Fats don't matter. I had the BEST preop meals!! All that Protein and fats! Yummy. In 3 months i lost 37 pounds!!! Now my postop diet.....i mixed up. She gave me no real guidance other than protein high 60-90. She seemed very unconcerned about carbs calories, fat. So NOW what do i do? And i haven't lost any weight since i was sleeved!!!!! Wth? I'm so lost and not happu. I need someone to hold me down and explain what to eat.