Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 Days Out, After My Sleeve...cant Sleep

I was sleeved on 7/2/2012, just 9 days ago. Since my preop diet which started 7/26, I have lost 29 pounds. I had a pain ball and a drain after surgery. Okay... the drain????? I swore it was going to be the death of me. I had it in for a week after surgery. My pain ball was nothing. I actually got the drain removed monday. My husband wasn't sure if he could hold my hand so my surgeon did it. Although I was grateful, he forgot to tell me to take a deep breath once the nurse was pulling the drain. I am pretty sure I said something like "woahhhhhhhhhhhh"... umm, ouch.

Well, here I am 9 days out of my surgery. I spent 3 days in the hospital and when I got home, I slept on the couch. Well, I am having a really hard time sleeping. I can't seem to get comfortable in any position. I hate sleeping on my back. I'm an avid "crib sleeper"... on my tummy and one leg bent. I've tried laying on my side, on a memory foam pillow, sitting up, propped up, pillow under my legs...I mean everything I could think of. Now, I've been catching about 10-15 minutes of sleep at a time in such odd positions, that I am having sever shoulder and neck pain. I know there is tons of swelling and it takes some time getting through that. I guess my frustration is the lack of sleep is making me so groggy through out the day that I am not being as active because of the pain and sleepiness :( How are ya'll dealing with this? Any good suggestions?

As for my diet, I'm able to keep down liquids, Jello, popcicles, and even a few bites of chicken noodle Soup (the noodles are super soft). I haven't tried egg whites yet or cottage cheese and canned pears, which are on my post op diet. My surgeon says that you are really only supposed to lose 40% of your excess body weight the first year, which in my case I am already 1/2 way there in 2 weeks. Has anyone come up with some yummy "blended" foods? Thanks for any advice or tips :) Hope everyone is having a great day!

Cindy

I experienced the sleep deprivation almost immediately after surgery. Not because of pain but I just simply can't get comfortable long enough in one position to fall asleep. Sleep deprivation evidently makes me grouchy! I never had sleep problems before but I had heard that Melatonin worked for some of my "insomnia" plagued friends so on my 3rd night home I went to the local pharmacy and picked up a 10 mg bottle of it. I took it that night about 30 min before bedtime and I was gone by the time my head hit the pillow!! I didn't wake up all night and woke up lovely and cheery at 7am the next morning!! Woo Hoo!! I now take it right before bedtime and it is wonderful! you gotta try it!!

I thought the same thing about Melatonin until I tried the 10mg soft gel. Like I said, I never had problems sleeping before but I simply couldn't go to sleep and stay that way until after I started to take it. So, in my case it is definitely NOT overrated =)) I love it!

Thanks ya'll :) I will look into both for sure! I'm up for anything at this point!

Your lack of sleep could be from SOOO many things, best to get the doc to assist so you can properly rest. See if they could assign you something to sleep at night, and you can just doze on and off during the day, knowing you got a good nights sleep.

Lack of sleep, in many studies, directly relates to stalls in weight loss.

Cindy- I was sleeved the same day!! I couldn't really sleep comfortably until the bloating from the gas was released ! The best way for me to get rid of the bloated feeling was to walk - I walked about 15 mins a day n almost immediately started releasing gas...my stomach is down and I sleep so much better!

Cindy- I was sleeved the same day!! I couldn't really sleep comfortably until the bloating from the gas was released ! The best way for me to get rid of the bloated feeling was to walk - I walked about 15 mins a day n almost immediately started releasing gas...my stomach is down and I sleep so much better!

Thanks! I walked several times a day and never really had any gas issues. I am pretty sure it was from the swelling. I had a lot of scar tissue from my previous lap band a few years back and that caused complications with my surgery. I am feeling much better now and can sleep any way I want. Sometimes it still hurts a little but I can move around and it helps :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches