Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

elisa - Good luck!! We have almost the same surgery date, one year apart. Mine was 8/27/07 with Dr Geiss!

Sooverit - I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with insurance stuff. I know how frustrating it is. I spent quite a bit in co-pays, out of pocket shrink & nutritionist, etc ... BUT look at where I am now!!

I had to buy a self pay plan with GHI to cover my band because my insurance thru work had a WLS exclusion. GHI is an option for anyone in NY. The plan was $415 per month. Let me know if you need any info or help. I don't know anything about their policy on lower BMI's though.

Hi everyone, thank you for much information regarding the surgery, Im from Port jeff station and trying to find a good Dr. Im currently 5' 4" and about 206.

DO you think I would qualify

My DH is with FDNY and we have VYTRA, anyone know if they cover this?

Hi everyone, thank you for much information regarding the surgery, Im from Port jeff station and trying to find a good Dr. Im currently 5' 4" and about 206.

DO you think I would qualify

My DH is with FDNY and we have VYTRA, anyone know if they cover this?

Im very curious...please help me with the answer. What the heck is a DH??

DH- either Dear Husband or Dumb Husband depending on your mood and his actions.:wink2:

First I'd like to say MANY MANY thanks to all that have helped me with the questions that I have about this process. I have one more, and I'm sure that more will soon follow.

All of the requirements are complete, but since I just did my ECHO on Saturday I suspect that it'll be a few days (hopefully no longer than that!) before the clearance is sent.

For those that went thru Dr. Geiss, how do I know when my file is ready to head off for Insurance Approval? Will they call me to let me know, or just send it once they receive everything and Dr. Geiss signs off?

I guess I might be better off not knowing when it gets sent so that the suspense won't LITERALLY kill me. Yeah, maybe that would be better, so that one day as I'm walking back from the mailbox I can open up to see a nice Approval letter and scream (and have my neighbors think I'm absolutely crazy!!) :wink_smile: :biggrin:

:thumbup:

Yes, DH is "dear husband"

Im thinking of calling Dr. Geiss today, do I even meet the weight requirement??

Does anyone know, Im 5' 4" and about 203 pnds:ohmy:

I hope so, Im done being fat, just done:thumbs_down:

My dr here in Texas says if you are at least 50 lbs overweight you qualify, so sounds like you do. Best of luck to you, been there!

Joanie :thumbup:)

:thumbup:

Yes, DH is "dear husband"

Im thinking of calling Dr. Geiss today, do I even meet the weight requirement??

Does anyone know, Im 5' 4" and about 203 pnds:ohmy:

I hope so, Im done being fat, just done:thumbs_down:

your BMI is 34.8 (go here to check Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator )

BMI over 40 no questions, BMI under 40 you need co- morbidities (high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea or the like)

Most insurance co. want you to be 100 lbs over weight.

Give the office a call, ultimately it is up to them.

Good luck

All of the requirements are complete, but since I just did my ECHO on Saturday I suspect that it'll be a few days (hopefully no longer than that!) before the clearance is sent.

For those that went thru Dr. Geiss, how do I know when my file is ready to head off for Insurance Approval? Will they call me to let me know, or just send it once they receive everything and Dr. Geiss signs off?

The girls in Dr Geiss's office are very on top of things but they are also a VERY busy office. If I was you, I would call just to be sure they got everything and submit it in a timely manner.

I had my cardiac tests done months before my 6-month pre-op insurance required diet was over. I called Dr Geiss's office 1 week after my 6-month diet was over, just to be sure they had everything and the dip shit Cardiologist I saw had never sent my clearance over. Then it took them another full week to send it.

Very frustrating!

Dr Geiss's office did call me once they had everything and set a surgery date BEFORE submitting to the insurance company. They said they do it that way to rush the insurance co along and kind of give them a deadline to approve or deny. (I'm not sure if that's how they always do it or just with my insurance - they seemed to be very versed with my carrier, GHI)

Good luck

Edited by Candle

The girls in Dr Geiss's office are very on top of things but they are also a VERY busy office. If I was you, I would call just to be sure they got everything and submit it in a timely manner.

I had my cardiac tests done months before my 6-month pre-op insurance required diet was over. I called Dr Geiss's office 1 week after my 6-month diet was over, just to be sure they had everything and the dip shit Cardiologist I saw had never sent my clearance over. Then it took them another full week to send it.

Very frustrating!

Dr Geiss's office did call me once they had everything and set a surgery date BEFORE submitting to the insurance company. They said they do it that way to rush the insurance co along and kind of give them a deadline to approve or deny. (I'm not sure if that's how they always do it or just with my insurance - they seemed to be very versed with my carrier, GHI)

Good luck

Thanks Candle. I actually just called the Cardio's office and the receptionist told me that it usually takes about a week to get the results back from an ECHO (and I just had mine this past Saturday) and then the doc will write up the clearance once they actually review the results.

I just pray that they stick to that timeline and have it submitted by the end of next week. That is the ONLY thing holding it up before going to Dr. Geiss for the sign-off.

And I agree...Dr. Geiss' staff is extremely helpful, but also very very busy.

I guess I was really lucky to have found a great cardio Dr. I had the stress test and echo on the same day and then he typed up the report while he talked to me about the results and printed a copy for me and one to send to Band Dr.

I wish all my Dr's are like this.

I am also with Dr. Geiss. My surgery is Aug, 28th. He is booking for the 3rd week in July but I'm going away. I am from Commack.

You lost all that in one year. Can you give me a few tips on how you did that. It looks like most people lose about 50 . I need like 100 at least more like 120 or 130.

Hi Everyone.

I would love to get together with some of you from Long Island.

I am in Bay Shore/Brightwaters and think it would be a great idea. We could also plan to meet up at one of the support group meetings and then go out for coffee afterwards???

I was banded by Dr Geiss on Monday and they really are wonderful. I am feeling pretty good. I never really had pain, just discomfort. I lost 15 pounds the 7 days prior to surgery on the liquid diet and hope that's a sign of what's to come.

Good luck to all of you and I hope we can all meet up soon.

Lynette