Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Bougie Size Questions. 46Fr

So I just returned home from my surgeon consult and I am kind of interested about an answer I got about bougie size. My surgeon says in their office they use a 46fr. I was very surprised- because I've not read of many that are so large. He says he fits his staples very snug next to the bougie and so there is little to no difference in sleeve size. He says he has considered changing to a smaller one but has had such success with this size he says there is no need. So my question is are there any other 46fr sleeves out there that have had problems and wish their Dr. Had gone smaller? Keep in mind I am rather short 5'2"- so that might make my stomach not as long as some.

My surgeon used a 34 bougie and sometimes I can eat a lot. Can you ask him to use a smaller size bougie? Be proactive if you can. :) However, either way, you will lose weight. :)

Are you sure they didn't say 36Fr? Never heard of the fortysix being used? I think it would cause less restriction and less side effects in theory.

My surgeon said he uses a 38 fr. He said he used to do 32 but the bariatric world argued that was too small and he said many doctors do a 42. He says he does 38 to be in the middle. And he has had great success.

post-68392-13813669824962_thumb.jpg

This may help you some. The 46 will be somewhere between those last two pens. You can see the difference between the sizes is really very little until you get to the 54. Somewhere in there you start to get into the stretchy part of the stomach which is what they want to avoid, so you may ask about that.

Also, i was told by my surgeon's office that the real success of this surgery is based on the removal of the Grehlin, which is that hormone your stomach produces that tells you that you're hungry. Many people with the 40fr are doing just fine. I've never seen anyone on here with a 46, but there could be. Just ask him about all of that. See if you can talk to some of his patients.

post-19191-13813659166601_thumb.jpg

Maybe I can talk to my Dr and see if he would feel comfortable going a bit smaller. I really would like to hear from someone that has had this size bougie used- and their results. It makes me nervous- I just really feel like since this surgery is a restriction only procedure- I want to feel confident I will get the best result possible.

Hmm, part of me thinks, that would be interesting to know, and the other part says I chose a surgeon for his training and qualifications, I will let him do what is best.

I was sleeved June 26, never asked what size he would use. Doesn't mean you shouldn't ask if it gives you piece of mind.

Yeah, I would think the surgeon knows better than anyone on here. His success rate should speak for itself. If you trust your surgeon, trust him to do what is best for you in the operating room.

I have no idea what size bougie my surgeon used, but I can assure you I will be asking him tomorrow at my 1 month follow up appointment. I never realized that there were different sizes...just thought it was a pretty standard thing.