Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most Humiliating Fat Moment

Years ago..my ex grandmother in law (who was really mean to me) bought me 2 pair of underwear for Christmas,,she's dead now. They looked really small so in front of everyone she held them up and said "yall think these will fit Karen? Yeah they'll fit,,see??" Then she stretched them beyond recognition to show everyone that my fat butt would fit those bloomers. Besides the fact she did this in front of 75 family members..some of my ex's cousins were kids my age that I went to school with. I was humiliated and it affected me for years. It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much now but back then I was so insecure and self consious about my weight..it was so embarrassing. I could see others were embarrassed for me and even commented to me about how bad they felt for me,,which made me feel worse. I just wanted it to be over and bury my head somewhere. I wanted to post this so I can get over it..anyone else have a really sucky moment?

Wow that was mean. But she's gone and he's your Ex. Time to move on to better days. I have besically been in seclusion, I don't socialize except with my immedicate family. i don't want to hear the wispers of (god she got fat). It's bad enough I have to hear from my overweight mom the disguised cooments of my weight, my clothes and my appearance whatever. I am looking forward to getting this sleeve done, once I am done with all the requirements, so I can rock my new bod next summer. I am just going to count this summer as one I will probably like to forget. Almost drading my favorite vacation camping in Cape Cod. Can't get my fat butt in a size 20 bathing suit. This will be my most embarrassing fat story. Time to turn the page

I live my fat moment every day. I commute to and from work on a bus, 45 minutes each way. I started noticing that I always seemed to have a seat to myself on the bus, even when crowded. Once or twice, people have even stood rather than sit by me. I finally realized that it is because people see me and keep walking because they don't want to sit next to the fat lady. :( It's not like I spill over either, it's just that it looks like I do because of my big upper arms (I keep them on my side by hooking them on my purse straps).

I've had several moments that I would place pretty for down on the MISERABLE scale. The kind of moments that you remember clearly regardless of time. And even when things change, they still hurt. And I've seen others go through them. I can guarantee that just about everyone here has had a really sucky moment or another. And most of us have had "a-ha" moments when we realized it's just ridiculous, and it's time do something about it. Yay us for that one. ;)

Friday I got my hair cut by a lady who is not my regular lady. New lady was one of those "as wide as she is tall" ladies. When she was washing my hair, her fatty bat wing (whatever you call it) kept seriously hanging in my face and blocked my air a few times. I never said a thing, so she had one of those moments, without knowing it ever happened. That's probably the best kind. ;)

Sorry you went through that. I think if we all dig deep we can find those wounds from different stages in our lives, we probably could write a book. I have so many different examples that I could share from my personal life. Instead of simply reflecting on the negative, I look toward the positive, and use those moments as fuel to succeed in spite of the people's negativity. I wish you luck in your continued journey and a joy filled life!

I have 2 fat stories: I was on a group church trip. That's right I said church. We were in the hotel playing Taboo and one lady pointed to me for the team to guess the word. The word was "overeating"! I held back the tears. I was in my 30s then.

The latest one was in 2010, at my school I wore a purple shirt and walked passed this one student and her friends. She really hated me. She started singing, "I love you, you love me." I was at my highest weight then 372. I looked at her and said "I know I'm fat but I can change that. Look in the mirror, you can't change that.". She shut up really quickly and never did that again.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

You know, I have to pity people who would do such an act. Their lives are so miserable they must do some act like that to try to elevate themselves. I am happy that you were able to confront this moment and I hope you realize this was her issue, not yours. For whatever reason she was threatened by you ... your intelligence, your relationship with members of the family, your faith ... something ... This is how bullies behave, whether they're 8 or 80.

I live my fat moment every day. I commute to and from work on a bus' date=' 45 minutes each way. I started noticing that I always seemed to have a seat to myself on the bus, even when crowded. Once or twice, people have even stood rather than sit by me. I finally realized that it is because people see me and keep walking because they don't want to sit next to the fat lady. :( It's not like I spill over either, it's just that it looks like I do because of my big upper arms (I keep them on my side by hooking them on my purse straps).[/quote']

I feel you. I have an extra large derrier, large on top big arms and smaller middle. I can see peoples looks as I pass by, reminding me of that sir mix a-lot song. "becky, did you see her butt? I mean it' so big". I also see people making a wide arc when passing me on the rear. I think to myself, my butt isn't that big, is it? Maybe. In any event, I hate going out, I hate the looks, the stupid teenage giggles. I'm not even that big at a BMI of 36-37. It must be horrible for the bigger folks. When ever I hear a comment about someones weight, i always rise up in defense. I hate mean people.

An amusement park attendant trying to strap me into a ride who was not all that amused.

My most humiliating moment has to be the day I had to ask for a seat belt extender on an airplane. I was on a work trip and sitting close to 5 of my co-workers. They were all very sympathetic but their pity made me feel worse. So embarrassing! Ugh...never again!

I admire that you put this out there, and a situation very similar to yours has also happened to me many years ago so I totally understand. I agree with 'PdxMan' above, for whatever reason she did that, it was because of her own insecurities, not yours.

My most humiliating moment has to be the day I had to ask for a seat belt extender on an airplane. I was on a work trip and sitting close to 5 of my co-workers. They were all very sympathetic but their pity made me feel worse. So embarrassing! Ugh...never again!

I got tired of asking a started carrying my own. :(

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I sat on a glass coffee table while on a vacation with my dad's family 7 or 8 years ago and it shattered. They still remind me about "the year your broke the table"....I don't need to be reminded, it was mortifying!

I think we've all had our share of these things. Mine began when I was young. Kids in school making fun of my size, I was always the biggest. Every year they would have these height and weight days where they would line us up and one at a time we would stand on a scale and they would record our height and weight in front of other students. It was such an embarrassing and demeaning time. Junior high was the worst though. I had this one guy who had it out for me for some reason and everytime he would see me in the hall or lunch room he would yell things out at me like elephant noises or boom boom boom everytime I took a step and act like I was shaking the ground. Mind you, I'm 37 and I remember these times like they were yesterday and can still feel those same emotions as I talk about it. I saw him on fb the other day and I just wanted to punch his lights out, lol. Anyways, things either got better after school or I just decided to start ignoring people's stupidity. I still get kids that will laugh at restaurants occasionally and stuff like that but what can you do... I just try to let it go. This surgery is definitely for my health, but I can't lie and say I won't be glad when I don't have to deal with this kinda stuff any more!

Years ago..my ex grandmother in law (who was really mean to me) bought me 2 pair of underwear for Christmas,,she's dead now. They looked really small so in front of everyone she held them up and said "yall think these will fit Karen? Yeah they'll fit,,see??" Then she stretched them beyond recognition to show everyone that my fat butt would fit those bloomers. Besides the fact she did this in front of 75 family members..some of my ex's cousins were kids my age that I went to school with. I was humiliated and it affected me for years. It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much now but back then I was so insecure and self consious about my weight..it was so embarrassing. I could see others were embarrassed for me and even commented to me about how bad they felt for me,,which made me feel worse. I just wanted it to be over and bury my head somewhere. I wanted to post this so I can get over it..anyone else have a really sucky moment?

I am so sorry you went through that. So very mean and cruel. Good for you posting about this so you can get over it. There will always be mean people in this world, making fun of people for whatever reason. They are the ones with the problem even though we all know this it doesn't make it any easier when you are the one being humiliated.