Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Salt Lake City Surgeons?

I am wondering if anyone has an experience with Dr. Eric volckmann at university of Utah. I am currently trying to decide between him & another surgeon. Thanks in advance!

I am scheduled for surgery with Dr Cottam at Salt Lake Regional. So far everything has gone really smooth, though I can't yet speak of the surgery, post op care and success yet.

Hi tina! I have a new patient appointment with him on the 25 th but I am sort of going back & forth trying to decide between him & another doctor. What has your experience with him been? Do you like him? He is way more experienced than my other choice, but my other choice is in network. Can you tell me what you did on your consultation appointment? Thank you ap much for responding!

Over all I am very impressed with BMI. I really like Dr. Cottam and feel really good about him doing my surgery. He demonstrated caring and spent more time with me than I would have anticipated. He was eager to answer questions.

I arrived in the morning with about eight other patients. There was a quick tutorial on bariatric surgery. We were each then separated out into our own room. I met with a dietician, exercise therapist, psychologist, a medical office assistant, the financial lady and Dr. Cottam. I had a metabolic rate test and a H Pylori test. I also had pre-op blood work done so I had been fasting since midnight. This (my very first time even stepping foot into his office) was on June 6th. The appointment took about 2.5 hours. I really like Dr. Cottam, I didn't get the best vibes from the finance lady, she seemed a bit skeptical about my qualifying and just wasn't very friendly. I needed a physical and a letter from my primary physician stating I was healthy enough for surgery. My paperwork was submitted to insurance about two weeks after my appointment and took about 9 days. I am now doing a two week pre-op diet of clears and Protein Shakes, I am scheduled for surgery on the 24 of July.

The whole process was very smooth and went much quicker than I anticipated. I am very excited, yet nervous for the weeks to come.

I hope all goes well for you and that you will have a similar experience regardless of who you choose. I know having an in network provider really makes a difference.

Over all I am very impressed with BMI. I really like Dr. Cottam and feel really good about him doing my surgery. He demonstrated caring and spent more time with me than I would have anticipated. He was eager to answer questions.

I arrived in the morning with about eight other patients. There was a quick tutorial on bariatric surgery. We were each then separated out into our own room. I met with a dietician' date=' exercise therapist, psychologist, a medical office assistant, the financial lady and Dr. Cottam. I had a metabolic rate test and a H Pylori test. I also had pre-op blood work done so I had been fasting since midnight. This (my very first time even stepping foot into his office) was on June 6th. The appointment took about 2.5 hours. I really like Dr. Cottam, I didn't get the best vibes from the finance lady, she seemed a bit skeptical about my qualifying and just wasn't very friendly. I needed a physical and a letter from my primary physician stating I was healthy enough for surgery. My paperwork was submitted to insurance about two weeks after my appointment and took about 9 days. I am now doing a two week pre-op diet of clears and Protein shakes, I am scheduled for surgery on the 24 of July.

The whole process was very smooth and went much quicker than I anticipated. I am very excited, yet nervous for the weeks to come.

I hope all goes well for you and that you will have a similar experience regardless of who you choose. I know having an in network provider really makes a difference.

[/quote']

Tina thanks so much for your response! I've decided to go with Dr. Cottam and have my first appointment this Wed for my first consultation. I hope your surgery tomorrow is fantastic and you have a super easy recovery! I am curious if they make you pay your patient portion up front or if they bill you. Please come back and tell me how choir experience was with surgery and sl regional.... Id love to hear about it! Good luck tomorrow, happy pioneer day!

I didn't think Volckmann did the sleeve? I am doing self pay in Mexico since I have a lower BMI and won't qualify for surgery in US.

Dr. Volckmann just started doing the sleeve, he has only done 2. I had my consultation with cottam and he was great. Dr. Volckmann was nice, just too inexperienced for me to feel ok with.

When is your surgery in Mexico altagirl?

My surgery went great. I was in the hospital just over 24 hours. My nurses were nice and knowledgable. It was very smooth. I am glad I chose Dr. Cottam. I have my one week follow-up tomorrow. I will keep you posted on my continued experience BMI and my progress.

I only had to pay BMI $375 up front. The hospital gave me a 25% discount for paying my 20% after insurance up front which ended up being $2100 (with discount). But I could have set up payments to pay my portion after surgery.

My surgery is on Sept 10. I am going to OCC with Dr Ortiz. I am planning on being out of work for one week & then going back part time for 2 weeks. I am really hoping it works out!

I am terrified of the surgery but feel like it is the best option before I gain more weight.

Thanks for info on Volckman - I work at the U & know a few people who had RNY with him. He is very nice but in general I think you are better to go with more experience. Tinakay I am looking forward to updates- I will let you know how things go inMexico!

Ooo Sept 10th is so close! That's awesome! I have heard so many great things about Dr. Ortiz, I'm sure you'll have a great experience. What do you do ay the u? I've worked there on and off since I was about 18 and started in the er as an Emt.

I am nervous too, but I feel like I have a great surgeon and its something I've got to do.

I'm in SLC too ladies. I'm going to St. Marks with Dr. Mckinlay.

Luck everyone!!! :)

In case anyone ever still reads this thread, Dr. Volckmann @ the U, sleeved me 6 days ago. I couldn't be more impressed by him & his staff. I switched to him after already going through all my pre-op 6 month diet the insurance required with the BMI Clinic. I switched, honestly because of staff. After dealing with the rude staff at BMI for 6 months pre-op I just didn't want to have to deal with them for the rest of my life. So, I looked up Dr. V - met he & his fabulous staff & I feel absolutely terrific. Exciting to be on the losers bench and thrilled I went with Volckmann. His care & attention to detail are stellar!