Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Start My 2 Week Pre-Op On Thursday The 12 ...help

Hello all, i need your help!

Ok today is July 8th and I start my Pre-op liquid diet on Thursday the 12th. Surgery is the 26th of July at 8:45 AM! I will be using Bariatric Advantage shakes as the primary source of Protein over this period. I have done some things since first meeting one on one with the surgeon on June 1st. First thing I did was buy a Diet Dr Pepper that morning, drink half and toss the rest. No carbonated or caffeine laced drinks since June1. I also went on a final food tour starting around June 5th and after three restaurants I said, STOP this is stupid and moved on. Since I had never utilizes shakes as a Meal Replacement in 62 years I decided to start doing spotted Meal Replacements with GNC Lean Protein 25 shakes. I got to the point of replacing up to 8 meals a week (Always Breakfast and lunch) with shakes. That part was not as bad as I expected.

I have a lot of joy over this decision and also a lot of fear (Scared S&^#$%#(t!) but I am not backing out.

I would like to better understand what the two week prep period is like. I have heard it is a breeze, I have heard that you want to die from hunger, and that Headaches are the norm. But what can I expect?

I plan to work my normal job and try to stay busy with my woodworking.

I have also experienced a lot of stress. For some reason I get this feeling that there will be no sex after surgery…..every. And since my wife is at that stage in her life of having a take it or leave it view, I am not being satisfied like I want to be. This has cussed my own provate struggles and in some harsh words between us.

One of the fears that I am having is that I will become very irritable and these stresses will just bog me down and lead of anger outbursts.

I know that everyone has a different experience so I would love to hear form some of my new friends out there just what can I expect?

Thanks in advance

Fred

:) :wub: :o;)B) a lot of emotions today!

The day before you start your pre-op shake diet do not carb overload. Do a shake for Breakfast, some Protein for lunch and an extremely sensible dinner. Whatever you do...DO NOT carb overload the day before you start the shakes. This can contribute the extreme craving. The more carbs you eat the more carbs you crave and it's overload.

If you are used to artificial sweeteners and they do not cause you troubles, that's a good thing. If you are the type of person who has crystal light and then a sugar-free popsicle and end up get a headache, you will have to modify your day a bit and perhaps find something else to use (like Truvia with decaff tea - Peppermint is my choice, Lemon is awesome) You can make frozen ice cubes with these to get that sweet craving if you want.

Realize this...liquid in - liquid out -- NEVER trust a fart. On my 2nd or 3rd day I was in bed and I had a grumble and I thought I had to fart, and then I realized, it may be more and I shot out of bed and I got 1/2 way to the bathroom and...I ended up throwing out my pj bottoms and took another shower. I lucked out by getting out of bed quick enough.

First two days I had a slight headache, day 3 & 4 was probably my crabby days. I was on 3 shakes a day for 14 days in a row. I tried to avoid sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free Jello because of the headache issues I have with sucralose & aspartame.

I kept busy, I cleaned out my closets, my drawers, cabinets, you name it, I cleaned it. I exercised a lot more.

Write a list of the reasons why you are doing this and keep it handy. Don't put yourself in situations that will cause you anxiety and make you feel bad. Going out to dinner with friends..not the best ideal. Use this time to get yourself mentally into the game, find ways to build up your self esteem during this time. Tell yourself how proud you are of being able to complete each day, tell yourself you can do it, and try to stop the self-doubt. It doesn't do you any good.

My father was terrified of me having this surgery as was my husband and son. For them I put on a brave face, I didn't moan, complain, or act like I was scared. I acted positive (I'm not the most positive person in the world...I'm more like a female "glum"). Perception is 1/2 the battle if you act positive and act happy, chances are better to be happy.

I went into the surgery with a smile on my face.

Keep telling yourself you are worth it and you CAN do it and just do it. When you see people posting about cheating during their diet, or others posting they are allowed to eat xyz during their pre-op diet, ignore it because you are not them and you are worth putting 100% effort into it.

Oh yeah, not sure how long you are suppose to be in the hospital - we were told 4 days, I was in 5 days, I brought with me chap stick, my own Bigelow Peppermint Decaff Tea, Truvia (they serve regular decaff tea & generic artificial sweetener - usually) they serve you warm Water in a coffee cup....it smells like coffee and is icky at most hospitals. Ask your nurse for a Styrofoam cup of hot Water and bring the tea you like and the sweetener you like. If brought a throw blanket that was washed and smelled like home, it was comfortable and I used it when sitting in the chair. I also brought a fan small fan (to make the room cooler and to drown out noise), I brought my crocs with so I could walk and I hate going in socks in public places. and I brought Charmaine wipes because well...I wanted them and they did make me feel better. I didn't use my kindle or read or do anything else.

That's my best advice to you right now.