Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Side Effects With The Pre-Op Diet...

Okay, so this dang on diet is KILLING ME. Yesterday was my first day. Of course I cheated with a salad. I'm on a clear liquid diet and I figured lettuce is Water so Wth!!! This diet is so restrictive. Because I'm a diabetic, I'm only drinking juices (cranberry, grape, & apple) that are diet ...I.e extremely low on sugar and I also made myself some sugar free jello! But I feel terrible. I had a headache yesterday and cravings out of this world for food!! And today I just woke up with a MASSIVE headache. My surgeon said this would happen but sheesh this is just too much. I'm miserable!!! And it's only been two stinkin days. How can I keep this up until surgery day (the 17th). Omg. This headache is terrible. I've never had a headache this bad. Why is this happening? Did anyone else have the same problems and how did you cop with it?

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

My concern is if the pre-op diet is causing so many issues what is going to happen after the surgery? I am a pre-op patient too - so very curious to hear what others say,,,

I found every pre-opt day got a little better as my body got use to no carbs. I am now on day 5. Days 1 & 2 were the worse, headache-wise.

I am on day 11. It got better around day 4 or 5, but it still isn't easy. If get sleep and stay busy I feel great. If I have a bad night and sit around the house I go insane. I had one cheat that was out of real desperation. We are having a tough period at work and I had a blinding headache from hunger and lack-of-sleep. I had a Slim Jim and a Diet Coke and I was able to make it through. 100 degree heat and a two-day power-failure didn't help either.

One other thing this has taught me is that aspertame is my enemy. I have easy days when I stay off artificially sweetened drinks. Down 15 lbs in 11 days. It is a start.

Morning of Day 3.

I feel much better.

Day one I thought I would die.

I'm allowed 3-4 high Protein, low carb shakes, and a 4-5 from a list of things I'll say below.

Yesterday I went shoppoing and got so many choices. I bought all diff. Protein Shakes at Vitamin Shoppe (including Oh Yeah my favorite), non-chunky yogurt (like Dannon light and fit lemon), those Imagine pureed Soups, every sugar free popsicle they make, sugar free pudding and jelllo (that I may once in a while put a dallop of sf cool whip)

and I also can have cream of wheat or rice. Honestly, the cream of wheat with cinnamon saved my life last night because it's the only things that feels like it has texture.

The first two days I had a headache, diabetic too, day 3 & 4 are all pure head hunger, stay busy.

If you keep telling yourself you can't do it, chances are good you are making it harder on yourself. Did you go have a huge dinner the day before you started the pre-op diet? If so, you found your culprit.

If you have Carb Overload days before you start pre-op shake you are going to suffer way more than the average person.

Find something to keep yourself occupied. I did 14 days shake diet, 3 shakes a day and really didn't bother with the sugar-free Jello or popsicles but like 2 of the days. I drank plenty of Water and I kept busy. I exercised a lot.

If you tell yourself you are worth putting 100% effort into the diet, and that you can do it - you will be able to do it, you need to work this out in your head. Not sure how long your pre-approval time was since your first appointment and this pre-op shake, but now is the time to work hard. I had diabetes, i was on shots, other people were too, and we all made it past it, you can too. First 4 days are the roughest, it gets easier every day, especially if you stop telling yourself you can't do it, and it's too hard.

You aren't going to starve to death, you aren't going to be malnourished and truthfully you will probably have better & more complete nutrition during this period than you had in a while. If you decided to spend the week before the pre-op phase enjoying "last dinners" with lots of carbs or calories, give it two more days to get over the carb or caffeine or carbonation withdrawals you are going through and you will be fine.

Good luck. We had to do it, it wasn't easy, go clean out your closet & drawers and get your biggest winter clothes ready to be packed away, you won't be using them, look for smaller clothes, write a list of WHY you are having this surgery and keep busy.

This is day 3 of 5 for me on this diet. I get to have s/f Jello, and clear broth and 4 Protein Shakes a day. I had headaches for the first 2 days. Today when i got up I drank my shake and I had to go lay back in bed for a few hours. Now I feel better. It's hard, just try to stay busy and sleep a lot is what i have been trying to do.

Okay' date=' so this dang on diet is KILLING ME. Yesterday was my first day. Of course I cheated with a salad. I'm on a clear liquid diet and I figured lettuce is Water so Wth!!! This diet is so restrictive. Because I'm a diabetic, I'm only drinking juices (cranberry, grape, & apple) that are diet ...I.e extremely low on sugar and I also made myself some sugar free jello! But I feel terrible. I had a headache yesterday and cravings out of this world for food!! And today I just woke up with a MASSIVE headache. My surgeon said this would happen but sheesh this is just too much. I'm miserable!!! And it's only been two stinkin days. How can I keep this up until surgery day (the 17th). Omg. This headache is terrible. I've never had a headache this bad. Why is this happening? Did anyone else have the same problems and how did you cop with it?

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!![/quote']

Hello Chrissy, I had the same problems and I suffer from Migraines so getting a headache outside of a Migraine was another issue I did not welcome. Keep at it nd I promise by the 5th day it gets better. If you can stay focused and buy and get to prep day 5, you wil be fine. I feel great nd I had lost 12 pound when I went to the dr. I get seemed tomorrw!!! God luck to yo!!!

I found every pre-opt day got a little better as my body got use to no carbs. I am now on day 5. Days 1 & 2 were the worse' date=' headache-wise.[/quote']

Very true...

My concern is if the pre-op diet is causing so many issues what is going to happen after the surgery? I am a pre-op patient too - so very curious to hear what others say,,,

My biggest suggestion to you is work on your 80 grams of Protein now, and cut out as many carbs as you can BEFORE you do the pre-op liquid diet. Start doing a shake every morning for Breakfast now, buy a 100% whey Protein Shake (maybe something you will be using when you get into the liquid phase of your diet) .

Quit caffeine now, quit carbonated beverages now - withdrawal for both of those will suck if you have to do it during the pre-op shake phase.

Do NOT have your "big last dinner" the day before you start. Do it a week before or several days before, but make sure there isn't too many carbs. LIMIT YOUR CARBS - this is for life, if you carb overload you will suffer more.

There are posts of people that cheat that got into surgery doctor goes in, and doctor closes up and says - sorry no good, you cheated and your liver is too big. It has happened, read them here and my doctor has told me straight up he's done it.

First four days are tough, but you decided to have the surgery and the sleeve is still only a tool, it's up to you to use it correctly. Have the courage and patients with yourself to do it right. If you allow the excuses, I just couldn't help it, or I can't do it, it will overwhelm you. Stop the negative self-talk. You are psyching yourself out BEFORE you have to do it.

Good luck.

The first two days I had a headache' date=' diabetic too, day 3 & 4 are all pure head hunger, stay busy.

If you keep telling yourself you can't do it, chances are good you are making it harder on yourself. Did you go have a huge dinner the day before you started the pre-op diet? If so, you found your culprit.

If you have Carb Overload days before you start pre-op shake you are going to suffer way more than the average person.

Find something to keep yourself occupied. I did 14 days shake diet, 3 shakes a day and really didn't bother with the sugar-free Jello or popsicles but like 2 of the days. I drank plenty of Water and I kept busy. I exercised a lot.

If you tell yourself you are worth putting 100% effort into the diet, and that you can do it - you will be able to do it, you need to work this out in your head. Not sure how long your pre-approval time was since your first appointment and this pre-op shake, but now is the time to work hard. I had diabetes, i was on shots, other people were too, and we all made it past it, you can too. First 4 days are the roughest, it gets easier every day, especially if you stop telling yourself you can't do it, and it's too hard.

You aren't going to starve to death, you aren't going to be malnourished and truthfully you will probably have better & more complete nutrition during this period than you had in a while. If you decided to spend the week before the pre-op phase enjoying "last dinners" with lots of carbs or calories, give it two more days to get over the carb or caffeine or carbonation withdrawals you are going through and you will be fine.

Good luck. We had to do it, it wasn't easy, go clean out your closet & drawers and get your biggest winter clothes ready to be packed away, you won't be using them, look for smaller clothes, write a list of WHY you are having this surgery and keep busy.[/quote']

I wish I would have known about the carb overload. Bc I surely did over indulge in all my favorites the day before this diet. I see that was a bad idea...! Ugh!!!

Hello Chrissy' date=' I had the same problems and I suffer from Migraines so getting a headache outside of a Migraine was another issue I did not welcome. Keep at it nd I promise by the 5th day it gets better. If you can stay focused and buy and get to prep day 5, you wil be fine. I feel great nd I had lost 12 pound when I went to the dr. I get seemed tomorrw!!! God luck to yo!!![/quote']

Thanks!!! I will keep my eye on the prize.

Okay' date=' so this dang on diet is KILLING ME. Yesterday was my first day. Of course I cheated with a salad. I'm on a clear liquid diet and I figured lettuce is Water so Wth!!! This diet is so restrictive. Because I'm a diabetic, I'm only drinking juices (cranberry, grape, & apple) that are diet ...I.e extremely low on sugar and I also made myself some sugar free jello! But I feel terrible. I had a headache yesterday and cravings out of this world for food!! And today I just woke up with a MASSIVE headache. My surgeon said this would happen but sheesh this is just too much. I'm miserable!!! And it's only been two stinkin days. How can I keep this up until surgery day (the 17th). Omg. This headache is terrible. I've never had a headache this bad. Why is this happening? Did anyone else have the same problems and how did you cop with it?

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!![/quote']

I am on day 3 and doing great so far...down almost 5 pounds and have not cheated and here is why.......the liquid diet is to give our liver a break...we need it to be less fatty so our surgery dangers go down....guys we can die from this surgery, it is not a walk in the park.....when we chews we are making our liver work....it is not just about low calorie, it is about shrinking our liver and preparing for after surgery where we need to be on liquids for at least a month if not two....what you are going through is the this is not my choice syndrome. Going without is not your choice....we do it all the time on our own....how many days I did not eat all day....my choice so it was fine....but this is our choice too...we are choosing to get healthy..to live happier and to do more.....we are not choosing to die on the table because we couldn't handle a 7 day (mine is 4 week) liquid diet....make sure your family is being supportive......don't do any of the cooking.......when the house s,ells like food go for a walk.....whenever you are hungry..drink water....I used to hate Water or claim I did....them I drank 2 liters a day and now I crave it.....

This is your choice.....you are fighting your fat and you can win!!!!

Hugs and good luck!!!!!!!

Thanks for the support everyone! I've done pretty good today. Haven't cheated so I'm happy about that. I am still hungry so I think I'm going to drink some broth. I'm ready to be sleeved!!!