Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Made Myself A List For Stuff To Have At Home After Surgery....

Can anyone think of anything to add to this?

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Unflavored

variety pack Nectar(so I can see what I like after surgery)

Medical Alert Bracelet

Small pillow for seatbelt and for any other time I need for stomach

2 Heating Pada(gotta buy 1)

Gas-X

All my Vitamins

4x4 Gauze

Paper tape

food Scale(I know I don't need it immediately)

Thanks everyone!

I'm still 2 weeks away from leaving to go to Louisiana to stay with my best friend where I'm having my surgery done but, I'm headed to my moms and were going shopping online and i figured I'll get as much as I can now So I don't forget b4 I leave in 2 weeks.

Thanks y'all!

If you can, buy a bed wedge pillow. You can get them at a pharmacy or online. I got mine for $19.00 at my local pharmacy. I makes it easier to get out of bed.

I also bought a Magic Bullet blender. It was expensive but worth it. I use it a lot for my shakes and the mushy meal plan stage. I still use it for my shakes. Its the perfect size.

I also bought a bunch of the 4 oz Zip Lock plastic containers so that I had something to put my lunch in.

If you can' date=' buy a bed wedge pillow. You can get them at a pharmacy or online. I got mine for 19.00 at my local pharmacy. I makes it easier to get out of bed.[/quote']

Thank you! I thought about it buy wasn't sure but if u say it helps then its going on the list!

You may want to pick ups some liquid acetaminophen (essentially liquid tylenol, though I don't think there is acutally a version made by the makers of tylenol) for times when you just need a little pain relief and not needing narcotics. I picked up mine at CVS. I checked Walmart and they did not have any.

While at walmart I did see something calle sleep quil by the people than make nyquil. It is essentially liquid benadryl. I take benadryl when I can't sleep so I might pick up a botle of that too.

Get a couple of ice packs. In the hospital they had me put ice packs on my stomach to help with swelling and I continued it for another week or two after I went home. I think it helped.

Good for you for planning ahead and looking forward to prepare for post op! I am just heading out for a hike with my Fur Kid, so I will make this a short post, but I will get back to you later today with an "at home list" that worked for me as well :0)

I found it was good to have some items to bring with me to the hospital as well, other than the standard toiletries and comfy loose bed gear and slippers with a good grip for walking after your surgery to help release the CO2 and assist with the healing process.

The items I used the most and was grateful I brought with me were:

1. Gas X strips

2. sugar free Halls Vitamin C Drops

(always check with the nurses to see what you are allowed to have first as everyone is different)

3. Chapstick/Lip Balm, lips tend to get very dry.

4. Travel pillow, the horseshoe shaped type used on flights is the BEST, for your neck to get comfy in the hospital bed as well as on your tummy when you cough and get up and down and for the drive home.

5. Baby wipes

6. Your 2 heating pads for sure!

7. Ear plugs- the hospital can be very noisy and the ear plugs will help relax you.

8. iPod to listen to music to relax you and eliminate some of the hospital noises.

9. A soothing natural aromatherapy spray to spritz on your pillow to calm you and help take away the hospital scents around you.

10. Journal, pen and paper.

11. Cell, Smart Phone, Laptop, etc.

12. Silly photos of my family, (parents, brother, nieces) my Fur Kids to make me smile.

13. Sunglasses or eye mask when it seems too bright

14. Ball cap, bandana or some kind of comfy head wear just seemed to make me feel more "at home".

15. A personal "good luck charm" any item that means something special to you that you can touch and see to bring you comfort and a sense of inner peace and normality.

Hope that helps!

You are going to do great!

Husky Hugz from Canada :0)

Get more icecube trays if you dont have many - or a small bag of ice. Believe me, it made all the difference in being able to drink or not drink after surgery.

Savory forms of Protein Soup - as well as clear Protein drinks like Isopure or proti-diet brand...all that stuff is available on Bariatric Advantage or at other retailers. This stuff also saved me right after surgery because I had a heck of a time with Premier Protein and nectar the first couple of weeks post, which I loved pre-surgery.

I have never used my food scale - as now we go by volume rather than weight. You may find that you use measuring cups more. We also use the small dishes, and I picked up a set of toddler flatware that we use all the time - its nicer than our everyday forks and spoons lol.

Just had surgery June 29th and here is a list of things I used that I bought and things that I didn't use!! lol

Used!! Necessary items!!

1) small pillow

2) travel container for Vitamins & meds.. It's easy to fill for the week and then just take every day! this is the one I have.....

21hCfcMkQOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

3) muscle milk premade Protein shakes made with no milk - 20g Protein each and only 11oz so they are easier to get down. It is so hard to get all of your Fluid in cause your tummy is still so small..

4) lots of sugar free jellos - peach was my favorite!

5) my husband made some homemade chicken Soup and used cheesecloth to strain it so I had homemade chicken soup broth for the week. I couldn't take the can stuff too much, Blechhhh!!

6) lots of pj's

7) LOTION!!! My skin was so dry after surgery and then this week trying to get in Water. I know that may not matter to a guy too much but alligator skin doesn't look good on anyone lol

8) SF Popsicle's - Kroger has the best flavored ones to me =) I lived on these the first couple of days

9) Gas X strips - they are just amazing and DEFINITELY necessary!!

Looks like you've got the rest of it down..

Now for stuff I didn't use!

1) I did not use the unjury Protein Shakes until this week.. I thought I was going to but I just couldn't handle the texture or the full feeling until the 2nd week and then not so much...

2) the flavored mixes for Water - before surgery I couldn't drink water without a mix and now I don't want them at all

I think that's about all, if I think of anything else I will pop in! Good luck on your journey! My has been so great so far, 12 lbs in 7 days WOO HOO!!!

Good for you for planning ahead and looking forward to prepare for post op! I am just heading out for a hike with my Fur Kid, so I will make this a short post, but I will get back to you later today with an "at home list" that worked for me as well :0)

I found it was good to have some items to bring with me to the hospital as well, other than the standard toiletries and comfy loose bed gear and slippers with a good grip for walking after your surgery to help release the CO2 and assist with the healing process.

The items I used the most and was grateful I brought with me were:

1. Gas X strips

2. sugar free Halls Vitamin C Drops

(always check with the nurses to see what you are allowed to have first as everyone is different)

3. Chapstick/Lip Balm, lips tend to get very dry.

4. Travel pillow, the horseshoe shaped type used on flights is the BEST, for your neck to get comfy in the hospital bed as well as on your tummy when you cough and get up and down and for the drive home.

5. Baby wipes

6. Your 2 heating pads for sure!

7. Ear plugs- the hospital can be very noisy and the ear plugs will help relax you.

8. iPod to listen to music to relax you and eliminate some of the hospital noises.

9. A soothing natural aromatherapy spray to spritz on your pillow to calm you and help take away the hospital scents around you.

10. Journal, pen and paper.

11. Cell, Smart Phone, Laptop, etc.

12. Silly photos of my family, (parents, brother, nieces) my Fur Kids to make me smile.

13. Sunglasses or eye mask when it seems too bright

14. Ball cap, bandana or some kind of comfy head wear just seemed to make me feel more "at home".

15. A personal "good luck charm" any item that means something special to you that you can touch and see to bring you comfort and a sense of inner peace and normality.

Hope that helps!

You are going to do great!

Husky Hugz from Canada :0)

Wow - I wish I'd had a list like this before my surgery! Great ideas. Too late for me, but I hope they help others. :)

Peppermint tea, Unjury chicken Soup, Gatorade or G2

I've heard some people talk about abdominal binders....I didn't have one, but I think it would've helped. Just for some light pressure on your tummy. I overstocked up on stuff, and wish I wouldn't have wasted all the $$. It wasn't really necessary. So no need to overdo it. You're going to be up and around in no time, and be able to go out and get what you need.

Just out of curiosity - why the medic alert Bracelet? Is there issues with post VSG patients longterm that paramedics, etc would need to be notified???

Just out of curiosity - why the medic alert Bracelet? Is there issues with post VSG patients longterm that paramedics, etc would need to be notified???

Yes. Because your anatomy has been significantly altered - even in sleeve patients. The doctors at the hospital are going to be planning on you being "intact". It can change medication dosages as well as medications given (for example, no ibuprofin). This way they'll know what to expect and how to treat you.