Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had almost zero trouble since being sleeved, and I'm thrilled with the result. My biggest problem is that I am not supposed to drink while I'm eating. This has caused me a LOT of trouble. In the beginning, post-surgery (April 4, 2012) nearly everything was liquid anyway, so it wasn't an issue. Now, three months later, I find myself gagging and having great difficulty swallowing more than 1 or 2 bites of "real" food because I can't even take a sip of Water. This means that I'm not actually getting anywhere near the minimum number of calories the doctor says I need, but I can apparently choose to eat OR drink.

I've tried all sorts of different things, but I'm currently reduced to a lot of Soup, or taking small sips of Water and waiting for my stomach to settle down. I'm really afraid of stretching my stomach (part of the dire warnings I've read and the doctor's warnings) but I can't seem to manage this issue.

Anyone else experience this who might have some suggestions for me?

P.S. This is not new - I have been unable to eat all my life without having water to sip.

CE

I am certainly no expert, having only been sleeved five days ago, but I will pass on what my nutrionist told me. She said that if I had the issue you describe, that I can drink while eating, however she was very careful to say that she means sips, and very few and far between. She suggested getting a shot glass and filling it about half full, and absolutly do not drink out of a large cup, or get a refill. It is meant to wet your whistle and nothing more. I would also suggest chewing more, because smaller bites will be easier to swallow.

Now that is what I was told, so you should probably check if that is ok with your nutritionist and/or doc. I can't imagine that little of Water causing an issue, but what the hell do I know, not a month ago I was eating a large pizza and drinking four beers. :)

Good luck

I will check with my doctor. He's been great, but he's also been insistent that I could learn to eat without liquid. Not. (The shot glass idea is great!)

I never had this problem, and I am almost 20 months post op and still do not drink with my meals. Maybe you could try starting with stuff that has more liquid in it, chili, stews?? Practice with that, and then try other things. Is it certain foods that bother you, or is it everything??

The reason we are not suppose to eat in drink is for 2 reasons. One, it can make you throw-up...and no one wants that! The other reason is that drinking with meals helps liquify the food in your stomach and it passes through faster then you feel hungry sooner. At my support group meetings they use the analogy of a clogged sink (sounds gross when you think about it). How do you get the clog going, you rinse with Water and it goes through faster. My plan says no liquids 15 mins before and 30 mins afterward. I ALWAYS drank with my meals, but now it is a habit not to.

I do like the shot glass idea..1 oz of liquid shouldn't make a difference, just enough to moisten the food as you are swallowing. Just watch that you do not start drinking more and more with every meal...always just keep the shot glass!

I never had this problem' date=' and I am almost 20 months post op and still do not drink with my meals. Maybe you could try starting with stuff that has more liquid in it, chili, stews?? Practice with that, and then try other things. Is it certain foods that bother you, or is it everything??

The reason we are not suppose to eat in drink is for 2 reasons. One, it can make you throw-up...and no one wants that! The other reason is that drinking with meals helps liquify the food in your stomach and it passes through faster then you feel hungry sooner. [/quote']

This issue has always been a problem for me, with any food not significantly moist and it was one of the things I worried about pre-op. I tried the shot glass idea tonight with about 2oz of Water, total, and it worked great. I don't want to drink with my food, but necessity means finding a solution I can live with permanently.

CE

We are all different, and I have taken a few sips with a meal with no ill effects at all. If it helps to maintain your good nutrition, I think it the way to go for you, but I would NOT revert to guzzling liquids, you want to keep your satiety so that you don't begin over eating because of hunger. Good luck!!

We are all different' date=' and I have taken a few sips with a meal with no ill effects at all. If it helps to maintain your good nutrition, I think it the way to go for you, but I would NOT revert to guzzling liquids, you want to keep your satiety so that you don't begin over eating because of hunger. Good luck!![/quote']

This shouldn't be a problem since I didn't gulp or guzzle pre-op. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

I've had almost zero trouble since being sleeved' date=' and I'm thrilled with the result. My biggest problem is that I am not supposed to drink while I'm eating. This has caused me a LOT of trouble. In the beginning, post-surgery (April 4, 2012) nearly everything was liquid anyway, so it wasn't an issue. Now, three months later, I find myself gagging and having great difficulty swallowing more than 1 or 2 bites of "real" food because I can't even take a sip of Water. This means that I'm not actually getting anywhere near the minimum number of calories the doctor says I need, but I can apparently choose to eat OR drink.

I've tried all sorts of different things, but I'm currently reduced to a lot of Soup, or taking small sips of Water and waiting for my stomach to settle down. I'm really afraid of stretching my stomach (part of the dire warnings I've read and the doctor's warnings) but I can't seem to manage this issue.

Anyone else experience this who might have some suggestions for me?

P.S. This is not new - I have been unable to eat all my life without having water to sip.

CE[/quote']

Do you constriction in your esophagus? Certain food allergies can cause this and you may not even know it. My daughter had an EGD that helped diagnose it. She eats much better now.

It's hard for me to remember (I month post op) but my doctor said to drink 40 minutes before eating. I forget and eat something salty and have to drink sometimes, but when I remember to do it it works well.

Well I am experiencing the same thing but have no suggestions. I sure hope we hear some. Lol

The shot glass with Water has worked perfectly for me. I see the doctor tomorrow night, and I'll double-check with him, but it seems like a workable solution. (Thanks to Bigdockc :D)

This is a big issue for me as well. I have always drank while I eat. I am only 11 days post-op and I have drank while eating my liquids with no problems. While sitting here on the PC reading the forums, I had about 10 to 15 cheese puff balls and drank 16 oz of Water. I kind of surprised myself when I realized how many cheese puffs I had ate and how much water I had drank. I didn't know I was able to have that much?? Why was I able to have that much? Why don't I feel stuffed?

Doctor said if I had to I could take a small sips with a meal. I try not to but sometimes you need a small sip now and then, I have forgotten and had a big gulp with a meal and that was the only time I threw up a meal.

I really like the shot glass idea. I may give it a try. I have trouble with not getting a sip or two in while eating, but unfortunately I have developed a bad habit of drinking more than just a sip or two. Still not as much as pre-op or even close to a whole glass, but I think it is allowing me to eat more and causing my very long stall. Be sure to really keep an eye on how much you are drinking when you are further out. I really didn't realize until recently just how much I was drinking with meals because it was just reflex.