Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dad Almost Died From Sleeve

My mom died less than 30 days after having this procedure. She developed Constipation and abdominal pain. Wound up having a perforation of her colon and getting a massive infection which killed her intestines and ultimately killed her. So not worth her beautiful life. : (

My mom died less than 30 days after having this procedure. She developed Constipation and abdominal pain. Wound up having a perforation of her colon and getting a massive infection which killed her intestines and ultimately killed her. So not worth her beautiful life. : (

These are your only 2 posts?

Omg that is sad that your mom died from this surgery RIP

My friends sister in law passed away. She became deficient in something and it caused her to get some rare condition that killed her. She was and is very against me having surgery. She couldn't give me details because it's a huge lawsuit right now. Sad.

I'm glad your dad survived. That sounds horrific. But I agree with you that sometimes that risk is worth it when you are overweight and have health issues. That's why I'm doing it too, despite her story she told me.

I'm 42 and had the sleeve July 2014 with no complications what soever. I'm so happy for having it done. My starting wt was 243 and now am 180. I still have some to lose but have gotten off diabetes, cholesterol, and blood pressure meds.

However, I kept on my 23 year old daughter to do whatever it takes to hurry and get the surgery done because she wouldn't regret it. Well she had surgery October 21st 2015 and was in hospital for 2 days then sent home like normal. So we thought. She went back to hospital then released. Then was in a lot of pain, went back to ER and Dr. Admitted her and her bariatric Dr. Said he wasn't releasing her until she was better.

She was in so much pain and had a hard time getting up to walk. The nurses and intern Dr. Kept pushing her to get up and kept telling her she needs to push through it. My daughter kept telling them she had pain, her heart rate was elevated in the 140's and she had a pinching pain in her lungs when she would breath in. Also constant pain in her left shoulder.

Well come to find out she had a small leak.

The moved he to the DOU dept. (Direct observation unit) which is a step down from ICU.

higher up near esophogus area. They had to go in again and do surgery, they we're unable to repair so inserted a tube.

After this a week passed and she still had a leak.

My daughter is to this day still in hospital and it's been a Lil over 4 weeks. They finally put in a stent this past Wednesday and she's been in pain since.

So it doesn't matter who you are or how old u are and how well u take care of yourself pre-op. It all is a serious risk u take having this surgery. Not to mention, I have a grand-daughter who has not seen her mommy in over 4 weeks. The hospital doesn't allow children in unless they are over 13 years old. That's sad so she's been with me the whole time. Grammy to the rescue. I also have an 11 year old so this not just affect ts my daughter in the hospital but it,allowffects the whole family.

Edited by lramirez29

So sorry to hear of your dad and also happy to hear that he is recovering.

My prayers are with him.

We were sleeved around the same time, you and I and we lost close to the same amount. Our start weights are also similar .

Curious, what does your NUT say about the amount you have lost so far?

I was sleeved on26 August. Start weight 255. Currently 236 + or - two lbs.

I am so sorry to hear about the experience your daughter is having after surgery. This is why I am so reluctant to have the surgery...I have a 13 year old daughter...I can't imagine how hard this must be for everyone. Praying that she recovers quickly and is back home with her family.

Thank refocus I will keep up with the post on her status

Hi Iramirez29, It is so interesting reading your story. I am currently sitting in the hospital with my daughter with a very similar situation. She was sleeved on Sept 28th, and we discovered a leak 4 days after surgery, in the same upper esophagus./ stomach entry location. I was also sleeved with no complications, she is 20 and has now had 3 drains placed, a picc line with a TPN nutrition intervention, and a now feeding tube in through her nose was placed today, she also had a stent placed today, all with worse and worse pain and symptoms. The poor girl cannot see an end to this madness. She is so regretful for having the surgery, and incredibly miserable. Please feel free to email me so we can compare notes, maybe one of us will learn something through this that will help. My email is andryacorral@ @hotmail,com

Best to your daughter and your whole family, this has really turned our world upside down!

Hi Aggie 72, wow how similar our stories. I will keep u posted. Good luck to your daughter I know it's a tough journey.

Hi how are you? Do you have an email? My mother had a sleeve end on May and we've been battling a leak. The situation keeps deteriorating and I am freaking out.

Would love to speak one on one if you have time.