Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

Cindyluhu:

I'll see you on the 22nd. I believe the plastic surgeon will be there. His name is Dr. John Fattore. I think he said he will be talking about Tummy Tuck in his next visit to support group. I don't remember if he said he'd be at the next support group though.

See you next week.

Take care.

Sue

Anyone interested in having another support meeting in Taunton? Throw me some Saturday or Sunday dates that you're available please :)

Sherry I would love to come to the next group!

for me in May the first two weekends are open as well as the last two...there are 5 weekends in May. Out is May 17-18

Hey everyone...not sure I've ever checked in here but looking to connect with Massachusetts bandsters! I have been reading your comments with interest.

I was banded on April 7, 2008 and now 3 weeks post op...having difficulty motivating myself to exercise. Otherwise doing well - some 'pain' around port incision at various times throughout the day but seems normal from what I've read from the main forum. My first fill isn't scheduled until mid-May so trying to eat as directed but don't feel 'restriction' so don't think the band is yet the tool it's meant to be. I live north of Boston and had my surgery at Lahey Clinic in Burlington.

Encouragement welcome...adjusting to a new normal.

Hey Liz:

Congratulations on being banded. I was banded 9 months ago. I love, love, love my band. I do think that exercising in addition to eating like a bandster is the key to my success so far.

You said above that you don't like exercising, or haven't motivated yourself to exercise yet. If you have an MP3 player load it up with some great music and get moving! I know it was alot harder to get out and walk when I weighed 324 pounds, but I truly love to do it now. It's great stress relief too.

I'm glad to talk LB with you anytime. If you send me a PM I'll send you my phone number and you can call if you'd like.

I'm in Norwood.

Take care and good luck with getting moving.

Sue

Hi Liz, welcome to band land, not to worry, the motivation will come when it's time. If you are like me, right now you are adjusting to the whole idea of the thing and trying to get hold of the food part. you will probably lose even though the restriction isn't there yet. when that tapers off, which it often does, you'll be looking for the magic bullet to make it work and that will be exercise! it took me long enough but I finally "got" "it". I'm certainly not one of the biggest losers, but I am getting in better shape and people are noticing. Still got a long way to go though. I joined Curves which was ok at first, but now they have Curves Smart that follows your own program electronically! Before that I would sweat, but now I'm drenched, it's really a good workout. I have foot problems and walking hurts, but for some reason, this isn't bad. going to have the foot looked at on Thursday. :lol:

I had my LB done at Lahey also, did you have Dr. Bram and Pam? Love Pam, my NP.

Check out the Mushy recipes thread, got some good ideas there, as you do fills you will still need them. Keep us posted, Good luck :biggrin:

thanks sue and cheri52 for your encouragement and would appreciate some ongoing support!!!

I am a curves drop out (over the last 3 years) so it's interesting to hear of the new workout there. I have a left foot (bone spur/plantar fascititis) so even walking has become difficult. I had some pt prior to surgery to work on this issue to hopefully resolve it but it's not...so more to do there. And, did Water aerobics in Jan/Feb...that was ok but costly. i so *get it* that exercise is needed and have had good results from it in the past when motivated...and frankly, why do this if I don't intend to get moving, right???? it's attitude adjustment time fo rme...

Dr Nepomnayshy did my lb surgery and my first fill is scheduled for May 19th. I've only had Corinne for pre op appts but my fill appt is with Pam. nervous about anyone touching my port incision area...perhaps by appt time this will not be an issue.

thanks for 'listening'!

Hi Everyone!!

Some info about me:

I live in Sharon and moved here 1.5 years ago from Oklahoma (yep, it was for a guy). I work at a hospital in Boston and plan to have surgery hopefully this summer at Brigham and Women's with Dr. Lautz. I see him on the 8th of May and am praying things go smoothly. I have BCBS of MA and from what people are saying they are pretty on the ball to get you approved. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding the in's and out's of this surgery including investigating the surgeon that will perform the procedure. I just want to say hello, introduce myself and would love to eventually attend the MA support groups that everyone is involved in....hope to see you around.

kimberly

My name is Sherri from Mass. Had the lapband March of 07. I'm confused, annoyed and frustrated! I can't seem to get on the lapband wagon! In the beginning, I lost about 20-25 lbs but since then, I have gained most of it if not all of it back. I don't know how to restart and get back on track. I forget how to eat like a lapbander! I don't really get that full feeling but if I get a fill, I'm afraid I won't be able to get anything down. UGH

My name is Sherri from Mass. Had the Lap Band March of 07. I'm confused, annoyed and frustrated! I can't seem to get on the Lap Band wagon! In the beginning, I lost about 20-25 lbs but since then, I have gained most of it if not all of it back. I don't know how to restart and get back on track. I forget how to eat like a lapbander! I don't really get that full feeling but if I get a fill, I'm afraid I won't be able to get anything down. UGH

Sherri

First, don't beat yourself up. Sounds like you have not had much support and that is necessary to being successful with the Band. I can't go to Boston for my support but I am on Lapbandtalk.com everyday for support. If I did not have this I would be a complete failure because the people here genuinely care about your success.

You can do this. You have a wonderful tool inside you just needs to be worked. Now, you cannot expect the tool work if you do not get the fills that are needed for the band to work properly. I am not going to sugar coat that it will be difficult at times to eat but if you follow the rules of eating Protein first, then veggies/fruits and carbs if still hungry. You must chew, chew, chew and chew some more. Always take small bites. This will ensure that you will be able to eat without discomfort but the band is finnicky sometimes and you will have times where doing that just won't help.

You are not a failure just get that band working for you. And for goodness sake keep coming here for support. We will help you.

Cindy

Hi Everyone!!

Some info about me:

I live in Sharon and moved here 1.5 years ago from Oklahoma (yep, it was for a guy). I work at a hospital in Boston and plan to have surgery hopefully this summer at Brigham and Women's with Dr. Lautz. I see him on the 8th of May and am praying things go smoothly. I have BCBS of MA and from what people are saying they are pretty on the ball to get you approved. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding the in's and out's of this surgery including investigating the surgeon that will perform the procedure. I just want to say hello, introduce myself and would love to eventually attend the MA support groups that everyone is involved in....hope to see you around.

kimberly

Kim-

I have Dr. Lautz and had my surgery done at Brigham & Women's and it was the best thing that I have ever done for myself. This time last year I was just getting my first appt with Dr. Lautz for which I had to wait 3 months to see him. I saw him in Aug 07 and had surgery in Nov 07. I also had BC/BS of MA and had no problem with them. I also did not have the co-morbidities that most have. I was really healthy just friggin fat. LOL

Dr. Lautz asked why I wanted to have the surgery and I was blunt enough to say "Look at me...I am friggin fat". He chuckled. He is a quiet man but very good at what he does.

Best wishes for your surgery and keep coming here for support it has been key to success.

Cindy

Actually Ive probably been playing around on this site for about a month now, but Im not banded yet so Im still a newbie.

I have been going to the Comprehensive Weight Management Group at Mercy for the last month. Technically Ive talked to my health insurance company and I could be approved now based on my BMI, but I chose to take the slower route and work with professionals so I can do this right.

This week I met with my nutritionist and my psychiatrist. Surprisingly the psychiatrist was much more helpful. I mean within our first 10minutes of my appointment he had already approved me for the surgery, the rest of the time he explained the diet. Not the what but the how and the why. He said that by explaining the how the diet works and the whys it helps you decide foods more carefully and how they are working to help your weight loss and the knowledge encourages better success. How cool is that. On my own Id probably fail.

I attend my first support group meeting this next tues 5/6. Maybe Ill see some of you there?

Some of you mentioned husbands and wives and kids. Me? Im getting married next May (2009). I have no kids but 4 cats. Sadly my cats arent very supportive, but they ARE snuggly. My fiance is thinking he might be doing the lapband thing after he sees how mine goes. Or he might just try to benefit from my changed eating habits, since I am the main chef of the household. He can cook hotdogs...and thats pretty much it unless it involves a grill.

And since starting this process I figured Id probably be banded sometime late July early August, but it may belooking more like June/July, how exciting is that?

My surgeon will be Dr. Kasper. My first appointment with him is on May 20th.

I would defintiely be into meeting other bandsters fro mthe area, as well as those pre-band like me. Besides contacting me on here I can be reached via AIM as Lenore1890.

I am in the Franklin/Hampshire County area, though I am in the Fitchburg area once a month.

Best wishes.

Lucy12, I'm getting banded on May 29th too!!!!!!! Go to the "I am schedualed for May" thread or the " Schedualed for May, what day?" thread in the May 2008 bandsters threads and put your name on this list!!!