Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The scarring is not bad, they fade and blend in. I have 6 incision sites and 1 has disappeared into my navel. :)

My surgery was almost 4 months ago and only one of my incisions is still visible. I had 4 total incisions and the larger one above my belly button is still a little dark, I'm really hoping it fades like the other ones have.

Are there any special creams or ointments we can use to help blend our skin back? I know when I was pregnant I didn't have stretch marks because I used some special cream...too long ago to recall the name!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I'd love to know as well. Between my hysterectomy, bladder surgery, hernia repair ( before wls) and now my sleeve surgery, I look like I was in a knife fight and I lost really bad. My stomach is an intersection and highways of scars

Coco butter! Plus there is a cream that helps reduce scarring at Walmart starts with a v I believe

I know what you mean I have a big scar I had surgery 14 yrs ago appendix removal. Back then they didn't do the little tiny one so I have a pretty big scar I had 16 staples. So you would imagine besides gall bladder, hernia removal, ovary cist and I have one in my back. A little upper of my crack..lol ( sorry tmi) and now the sleeve. When ever I lose the weight.. definitely no bikini for ke cause of the scars..lol

It completely depends on what your surgeon does/how your incisions are closed, and how you scar, your skin type, the direction of the incision, your age, overall health, etc. A lot like stretchmarks. :)

It's easy to say "it won't be bad" and usually it isn't, but depending on the factors above (and more) it might be bad. Surgical incisions are clean and for lap procedures they're relatively small. Chances are it won't be bad. But if you have a tendency to keloid, for example, (dark skin does have that tendency) it might be "worse" than usual. BTW, keloid scars are actually benign tumors.

Here is what a keloid scar from an incision might end up looking like: Keloids are suually really thick and distorted from the original incision. They can get crazy sometimes.

Keloid_scar_organic_tamanu_oil.jpg

Another common type of scar you can get from an incision is a hypertrophic scar. A keloid is a hypertrophic scar on steroids. :) The incision that was used for my port (lapband), and everything else since, is a hypertrophic scar but it's not bad, and only part of it has gone hypertrophic. They're raised, but notice how they more closely follow the actual incision and aren't all "massy" like keloids are. My hpertrophic scar has always gotten better with time.

Hypertrophic-Scar.jpg

IMO - there are dermatological treatments that can help. I've seen keoids frozen and removed with really good outcomes. Things like microderm abrasion has helped too. I do not think that OTC remedies do much, if anything.

Scar Removal Procedures

The type of scar removal procedure used will depend on the type and size of the scar and the preferences of the patient and doctors. Some of the common techniques used for this purpose include:

• Steroid Injections – Steroid treatment is frequently used on keloid scars, because it can soften and reduce scar tissue. It is also used occasionally on hypertrophic scars for the same reason. These injections tend to be most effective on fresh scars, where the scar tissue is still forming.
  • Microdermabrasion – This procedure uses a diamond-tipped device to remove the outer layer of skin, leaving a smoother complexion underneath. Microdermabrasion is relatively non-invasive and requires a fairly short recovery period. This treatment works particularly well on smaller, shallow scars. However, deeper dermabrasion techniques may also be used on deeper scarring with excellent results.
  • Chemical Peels – Chemical peels come in a variety of potencies, so the treatment can be tailored to the size and depth of the scar. Chemical peels are sometimes used on atrophic scars, like those in acne scarring.
  • Dermal Fillers – Injections of collagen can also be used to reduce the depressions cause by atrophic scarring. The major drawback with this procedure is that the treatment must be repeated every few months to maintain desired results. However, it is the least expensive and invasive scar removal option.
  • Laser Scar Removal – Laser procedures can be used to remove nearly any type of scar, including the three listed above. A laser is used to target the scar and remove the outer layer of skin, leaving a more consistent complexion underneath. The laser can also work into the deeper layers of skin to stimulate collagen growth in the area and further diminish the appearance of scarring. Different lasers allow the doctor to customize treatment to the needs of an individual patient.

HTH :)

After the gastric sleeve suregy how is the scarring on stomach.????

After my lumpectomy, my surgeon recommended Mederma. You can buy it at Wal-greens, Amazon, etc. When used correctly, it is quite effective. It's also quite expensive.

I've used mederma before but got turned on to kelocote when I had a breast reduction. Been using it on my scars.

Wheetsin

Thanks.. I have a keloid scar... That's from my gall bladder.. I have reAlly sensitive skin.. I will a mosquito bite Mark for months..

Thanks for the info.!!