Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For The Post-Op Veterans!

Ok guys just got surgery on june 25th. Still on fluids and am having trouble getting them down but thats not my biggest problem right now. I am FREAKEN OUT!!!! Will i be able to eat a slice of bread again?? Will I be able to eat a baked potatoe again?? Will I be able to drink alcohol again?? Will I be able to ever eat a sub or a sandwich again?? I know this seems stupid but I have all of these fears right now. I'm not looking to eat any of the above anytime soon but I fear I wont be able to have some guilty pleasures ever again. And what about diet cola on ocassion?? I just want to be normal again......

Breads will be a big problem most likely for now on. I'm four months out and can only eat a half a slice of toast. I did try a piece of bread at dinner one night and I felt like I was going to throw up for about two hours afterwards. Anyways, you really want to stay away from the high carb foods like breads and potatoes and even alcohol. I knew this was a sacrifice I had to make when I went with this surgery.

Bacon - yes! I love bacon and it has protein! Not lots but it does! Potato, yep but it isn't the best choice. I wouldn't do it often. I have an occasional drink (I did wait until I was about 6 months out). I won't eat a sub but I get all the goodies either wrapped in lettuce (think Jimmy Johns Unwich) or if it is like chicken salad I have them do it on a bed of lettuce. You can have a toasted bread fairly easily but again not a good choice and I wouldn't do it often. It will fill you up and no Protein. If my daughter is with me I snag a pinch of her yummy sub bread just for a taste. I wouldn't touch diet cola or any cola with caffeine now days - it's an addiction I broke and I won't go back. I think a lot of programs probably say no carbonation and no caffeine - mine does. You will have a new normal.

It seems to me that we spend a lot of time mourning the loss of our favorite foods, when, in actuality, we can have them when we're healed with moderation. I really don't want to eat all the stuff that got me fat to begin with. This was my opportunity to chuck the bad eating habits and start eating healthy. So I pretty much chose to eat Proteins and some veggies. Today I did allow myself to have some Cookies. :)

Once you're healed, you'll be able to eat anything you want. You just may not want the same things you had pre-op. I don't miss bread or Pasta, and I have eaten a bite or two of rice. Those three leave me feeling bloated and over-full, so I don't eat them much at all.

Once you have your head in the game (after the pain and liquid diet are over), then you'll figure out what you can eat and most of the stuff you're thinking about right now will not even be missed.

Good luck! :)

I'm going to ditto what others have said that you will be able to eat about anything you ate prior to being sleeved. Although, your taste buds are likely to change and the things that you loved before probably won't be the same once you are able to eat them. Some people (like myself) become lactose intolerant although that seems to be improving as time passes.

Please remember that while in time you will be able to eat whatever you want (in smaller moderations), that you will need to focus on your Proteins first, veggies second, etc if you want to maximize your new tool. Treating yourself occasionally is not a bad thing, but depending on where you are at in your journey, understand that depending on how much you eat, will affect the speed of your weight loss and possibly contribute to stalls. Also, if they are your trigger foods that could lead to craving other non-protein/ unhealthy choices, then you are only asking for trouble. Try to wait as long as possible before you start "checking" to see what you can have if its not on your plan. You are in the honeymoon stage and you want to take advantage of that time as much as possible.

YOU BETCHA! I was 3 months out when I had my first alcoholic beverage and coffee. I'm out 3 years now and basically eat and drink whatever i want, including sodas (diet of course). But the only thing you will NOT be able to do is overeat (pigout) like before. And that is all well worth it. . . so don't freak out, time will get you there and then you'll smile at your question. . . but dont worry. . . life is good and your going to love it! good luck

About to Celebrate my 6 month anniversary and I can now say that YES you will be completely normal again, but it's a new normal. I am able to eat all the things you mentioned in your post, but in much smaller quantities. I know each person's stomach is probably different in what they tolerate, but I seem to tolerate just about everything fairly well including raw veggies/fruits.

I don't eat too much bread because I try to stick closer to Protein and veggies, but I am able to eat it if I want to. I was even able to eat a quarter of a subway turkey sandwich on wheat last month!

Just be very patient with yourself and stick closely with your post op diet. About the 5 month mark is when I started to try a few things because I could tell I was feeling very normal again.

Ok guys just got surgery on june 25th. Still on fluids and am having trouble getting them down but thats not my biggest problem right now. I am FREAKEN OUT!!!! Will i be able to eat a slice of bread again?? Will I be able to eat a baked potatoe again?? Will I be able to drink alcohol again?? Will I be able to ever eat a sub or a sandwich again?? I know this seems stupid but I have all of these fears right now. I'm not looking to eat any of the above anytime soon but I fear I wont be able to have some guilty pleasures ever again. And what about diet cola on ocassion?? I just want to be normal again......

Hi Jackers! We were sleeved on the same day :) Fluids are going down fairly well, a little trouble with getting in the necessary volume. Thanks for your post, as I have had some of the same thoughts. I am very hopeful as I read the veterans comments.

"Cheers" to us (as I sip on my protein).

Jane

Thanks you to you all:) I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond....all was very helpful and I am happy to say the past few days have been getting easier!!!

Yes you can, but remember, just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. In moderation, once in a while, those are words to live by....I seldom eat bread, hardly ever at home, I don't eat sandwiches at home.....I can eat a fourth of a med sized baked potato. I use Greek yogurt as sour cream and a little butter, very little. I don't want to fill up on potato ever, we need Protein. Alcohol, I was at goal, past goal.....and about 17 months out before I had a White Russian or glass of Sangria. There is a place here in Dallas called Which Wich.....I can eat one third of a 7" sub from there, maybe a tiny bit more....that's it. I'm full, satisfied and to tell you the truth, I never feel deprived. I split a piece of pumpkin bread from Star Bucks with my husband. The difference is this, I am aware of EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. After having 85% of my tummy removed, no mindless eating for me.

I am so happy that you posted. I love to see posts from anyone 3-4 years out. It looks like you're still successful. Everyone is absolutely correct. I am only 8 months out, but eat anything I want. I try to make good choices and always get my Protein first, even if it means a Protein Drink before a little less nutritional foods. I can not eat bread, not that it bothers me or upsets my tummy etc. First it just takes up to much room and I wouldn't be able to get my Protein in. Second I have no desire for bread and Pasta the way I used to . My taste buds have changed and often can change from day to day. What I may like today may not taste as good tomorrow. As far as soda, it tastes "TOXIC" to me, I absolutely hate carbonation. On the other hand, I found a new love for something even worse, Iced coffee, usually with sugar and extra cream. So I don't allow myself that with the exception of a special occasion. I am just happy to say that so far my journey has been wonderful and I too was worried at first that I may never be able to eat spaghetti and it doesn't matter now, I don't want it. Good luck!

YOU BETCHA! I was 3 months out when I had my first alcoholic beverage and coffee. I'm out 3 years now and basically eat and drink whatever i want, including sodas (diet of course). But the only thing you will NOT be able to do is overeat (pigout) like before. And that is all well worth it. . . so don't freak out, time will get you there and then you'll smile at your question. . . but dont worry. . . life is good and your going to love it! good luck

These questions are always so hard to answer because no two people are exactly alike. I am two years out and I CAN eat anything in moderation, but it took me a long tme to get here. It is just in the last six months that I could really eat a traditional sandwich and even still it needs to be on thin sliced bread. There is no way I could eat a hoagie roll. My friend had surgery nine months after me and within a month was eatting more food then me and things I could not even imagine eatting. Everyone is different.